Ashkandi, Greatsword of the Brotherhood
Ashkandi, Greatsword of the Brotherhood is a massive two-handed sword that has a hilt resembling the intertwined necks and heads of two red dragons. It's rumored to have belonged to Sir Anduin Lothar. It is of epic quality and drops from Nefarian in Blackwing Lair.
In the RPG
- The weapon is wielded by Captain Iskandar and the Horde version of Argent Knight.
- In Heroes of the Storm, Sonya, a character from Diablo, wields Ashkandi and as part of her Wrath Sonya skin.
Anduin Lothar's sword
- It is believed that this sword once belong to Anduin Lothar, due to the initials on its hilt (A.L.) and the title "Greatsword of the Brotherhood" possibly referring to the Brotherhood of the Horse, the official name of the kingdom of Stormwind's knights before the First War. Lothar was the Regent Lord of Stormwind and Champion of King Llane, but was killed by Orgrim Doomhammer during the closing battles in the Second War. Some speculate that Ashkandi is thus a twisted Great Royal Sword of Stormwind.
- This sword is now found in the possession of Nefarian in Blackwing Lair, presumably due to his father Neltharion's involvement in the ending of the Second War. Some believe it was modified or corrupted by Nefarian or one of his underlings due to its blackened appearance. However, the hilt is described as resembling the neck and heads of "red dragons", not black. Why Nefarian would transform the sword into something bearing his enemies' appearance makes little sense - unless it's a trophy.
- The theory that the blade belonged to Anduin Lothar is possibly further supported by one of the reward cards from the Steel Sentinel in Hearthstone: The League of Explorers, which is actually Lothar's animated armor. One of the rewards for defeating the boss is the Cursed Blade card, whose art was originally used for the Crimson Guard TCG card which resembles Ashkandi.
Wrath Sonya wielding the blade in Heroes of the Storm.
- Patch 1.6.0 (2005-07-12): Added.