Azerite Armor, or Azerite Gear, is armor pieces that consists of only three types, the helm, chest, or shoulder which allows the player to use the Heart of Azeroth to empower it. Each piece of armor will have no secondary stats but increased primary stat allocation from previous expansion items. It can also always drop at the base item level but cannot be Warforged, Titanforged or roll any tertiary stats.
In addition, each piece will have a number of rings in the Azerite interface, each containing multiple Azerite traits which will augment the player's spec by empowering or modifying existing spells. These Azerite traits are not random on two pieces of the same shoulders, the Azerite traits will always be the same and will not change.
Tides of Vengeance brought "Season 2" of the gear to players. In Season 2, with Battle of Dazar'alor and the similar Mythic+ and PvP seasons, there is a 5th ring that has two spec-specific trait options for each specialization. In addition, emissaries have a chance to drop beyond ilvl 370.
Azerite Armor can be obtained from the same sources as other pieces of gear which this includes World Quests, Dungeons, Raids and more. However, for Azerite Armor that is item level 340 or higher, Azerite Armor will only drop from sources that are gated through some lockout. This limits the rate that players can earn these pieces, since they can't just farm 50 Mythic+ dungeons during the first week and get all the best Azerite Armor pieces.
- Quest Rewards
Completing each zone and other significant quests, you will be rewarded with a piece of Azerite Armor between item level 270 - 300.
These pieces can be farmed from sources with no lockout.
- Normal Dungeons - Item Level 340
- Heroic Dungeons - Item Level 355
- Specific World Quests - Item Level 320 - 370 (depending on player's ilvl)
- Limited Azerite Armor
These pieces have a lockout preventing players from farming an Azerite piece in quick succession.
- Mythic Dungeons (not Mythic+) – ilvl 370
- Champions of Azeroth Exalted – ilvl 355
- Emissaries – up to ilvl 370
- Doom's Howl / The Lion's Roar – up to ilvl 370
- Ivus the Decayed / Ivus the Forest Lord – up to ilvl 385
More limited sources of Azerite Armor are available from raids and the weekly Mythic+ chest. Mythic+ does not drop Azerite Armor from completing the run.
- Mythic+ Weekly Chest
- Keystone 2 / 3 – ilvl 380
- Keystone 4 / 5 / 6 – ilvl 395
- Keystone 7 / 8 / 9 – ilvl 400
- Keystone 10+ – ilvl 415
- LFR – ilvl 340
- Normal – ilvl 355
- Heroic – ilvl 370
- Mythic – ilvl 385
- Battle of Dazar'alor
- LFR – ilvl 370
- Normal – ilvl 385
- Heroic – ilvl 400
- Mythic – ilvl 415
- Main article: Azerite interface
Each piece of Azerite Armor is separated into 3, 4, or 5 rings.
- Azerite Armor under item level 340 will only have 3 rings. (usually rare)
- Azerite Armor item level 340 or higher will have 4 rings. (usually epic)
- Azerite Armor that is obtained from Battle of Dazar'alor at item level 370 or higher will have 5 rings.
Each ring will allow you to choose one of the Azerite Traits on it and selecting it will rotate the ring so that your chosen Trait is shown at the top! These rings can be seen by Shift-Right Clicking on the piece of Azerite Armor. The effect of Azerite Traits will scale based on the item level of the Azerite Armor -- A higher item level will make the effect of the Traits stronger!
The rings unlock one-by-one from the outside to the center. We'll use this color-coded image to explain what each ring contains.
Sometimes, the traits one may chose aren't exactly great for the next boss fight or maybe they just want to try a new combination. Players can't change their traits out in the world, but can visit an Azerite Reforger in Tradewinds Market in Boralus or Grand Bazaar in Dazar'alor to remove all current Azerite traits from the piece. While the cost is relatively low at first 5, it will increase in cost the more times it is used. The cost won’t stay that high forever with every two days, the reforge cost decrease.
- Azerite Armor cannot be traded, even if the armor is a lower item level than the one equipped.
- Patch 8.0.1 (2018-07-17): Added.