|Theater of operations|
The Empire of Azjol-Nerub (also known as Azjol-Nerub, the Kingdom of Azjol-Nerub, the Nerubian Empire, the Azjol Empire, or simply Nerub) is the nerubian nation found in Azjol-Nerub, a vast underground region beneath Northrend. It was destroyed by the Lich King during the War of the Spider and the majority of its population was turned into undead including their king at the moment, Anub'arak. During the war against the Lich King the still-living nerubian rebels fought against the Scourge to liberate their empire. After the fall of Anub'arak and the Lich King, they were victorious and Seer Ixit was hoping to be able to lead his people.
|This section is a lore stub.|
After the Azj'Aqir, the empire of the Aqir, was shattered by the Gurubashi and Amani trolls, the nerubians fled north and founded their empire in the northern wastes. It is unknown what effect the Great Sundering had on it, but they developed to a high culture with great architecture and created a kingdom beneath the frozen wastes of Northrend. The capital was called Azjol-Nerub, with the whole empire sharing its name.
War of the Spider
When the Lich King became stronger, he began to battle with the nerubians in a conflict called the War of the Spider. The undead ultimately managed to enter the kingdom and brought its subterranean temples crashing down. Most nerubians were killed and resurrected, the surviving nerubians hid deeper.
The Frozen Throne
The remains of Muradin Bronzebeard's dwarves, led by Baelgun Flamebeard conquered an entrance to the empire. When Illidan Stormrage used the Eye of Sargeras to destroy Icecrown, the earthquakes freed the faceless ones, which took over a part of the kingdom. The survivors and the dwarves were mostly killed when Arthas Menethil went through the labyrinth to reach Icecrown Citadel. Arthas also destroyed most traps and treasures, which were still hidden there.
The Kirin Tor acquired the crown of the nerubian kings and put it aside for the nerubians whenever they decided to coronate a new one. The Azjol-anak have led an effort to reclaim their people's cities.
It is revealed that the nerubians have an enormous secret stash of their own eggs hidden safely so that after the Scourge has been wiped out of Azjol-Nerub, they can finally begin to repopulate their people. The Azjol-anak are ultimately successful under Seer Ixit in slaying Anub'arak and reclaiming their home, thus beginning the rebirth of the nerubian empire.
Battle for Azeroth
An adventurer delivers to the resurgent, and still friendly, Nerubian empire. Kilix the Unraveler receives and translates the writing on the carapace, thanking the adventurer for returning this piece of history to them with a small gift of Azerite.
- Main article: Azjol-Nerub#Geography
- ^ Seer Ixit yells: The rebirth of the Empire of Azjol-Nerub is upon us! Hear my call, brothers, and rise to reclaim what is rightfully ours!
- ^ World of Warcraft: Chronicle Volume 1, pg. ?? - Their kingdom would become known as Azjol-Nerub.
- ^ Azjol-Nerub (instance)#Dungeon Journal
- ^ War of the Spider (History of Warcraft)
- ^ Ultimate Visual Guide, pg. 181
- ^ World of Warcraft: Chronicle Volume 3, pg. ??
- ^ Into the Shadow Web Caverns: "These warriors, however, never died. Foolishly, they still fight to liberate Nerub from the Scourge."
- ^ Anub'arak (Trial of the Crusader tactics)#Quotes - "The Lich King yells: The Nerubians built an empire beneath the frozen wastes of Northrend"
- ^ The Forgotten Ones
- ^ Kilix the Unraveler