|This article or section contains information that is out-of-date.
The amount of money (, , or ) the character possesses is shown at the bottom right of the backpack window. Several additional currencies, such as Darkmoon Prize Tickets and Timewarped Badges, can be set to be displayed at the currency window.
It can be expanded with 4 extra slots, for a total of 20 slots, by adding an authenticator to the account.
When asked in the 2011 Ask the Devs about increasing the size of the backpack or replacing it, the answer given was that it was technically challenging due to the manner in which the slot was coded and could cause major breaks in the game (such as loss of players' gear). This is because the backpack is "hard-coded" into the game, making any modification a very risky proposition. This was later expounded upon during the BlizzCon 2015 Engineering Community Amphitheater Discussion:
2015-11-07 00:00 | Blizzard Entertainment
This was directly contradicted the following BlizzCon 2016 during the World of Warcraft Q&A panel. According to Lead Game Designer Matt Goss, the difficulty of upgrading the backpack had been "almost a myth" that even the design team themselves had believed. The reality is that it actually isn't nearly as difficult and hopefully will be "Soon".
During BlizzCon 2017, it was announced that the number of slots could be increased by adding an authenticator to one's account. How many slots would be added was not mentioned at that time but, when the first PTR build for Patch 7.3.5 became available, it would turn out to be four.
- By default, you can press 'Shift-B' to open and close your backpack. While 'B' opens all your bags.
- You can also close all open bag windows, including the backpack, by clicking its icon.
- You cannot move, delete, replace, or store your backpack.
- ^ Bashiok 2011-03-28. Ask the Devs - Answers #3 "UI". Blizzard Entertainment. Archived from the original on 2014-12-16. Retrieved on 2014-12-16.
- ^ Did you miss the wow Q&A 2016 panel? Check this out!, 19:42 - 20:40