- "When you draw power from demons, it's a good idea to have a backup plan in case they disagree."
Banish is a level 32 warlock crowd control spell, usable only on Elementals, Demons and Aberrations. It prevents the target from taking any action, and also makes it invulnerable, preventing the target from being affected by attacks, heals or spells of almost any kind.
- Banish has a PvP duration of 6 seconds and is subject to diminishing returns.
- Banished mobs can be affected by a Voidwalker's ability (and probably the similar hunter pet ability as well) and by taunts.
- Even though this spell is classified as a Magic effect, it cannot be dispelled with normal Magic-dispelling abilities.
- Can be removed with the priest's .
- Damage over time effects applied to the target will continue to count down when a target is Banished, but cause no damage.
- Recasting Banish on a target already afflicted by the spell will cancel the spell's effect.
- Mobs can be taunted during a Banish. Communicate to your tank when the effect is seconds away from wearing off, they will appreciate the notice as it will allow them to place a taunt effect on the mob and keep it from running out of melee range.
- As with other crowd control abilities, it can be useful to employ the "Focus" system.
- In PvP, Banish cannot be used against Demon Hunters in Metamorphosis or Druids in form.
- May be used against another warlock's minion.
- May be used on elementals such as a mage's Water Elemental, and a shaman's Fire and Earth Elementals.
- Patch 5.1.0 (2012-11-27): Now effective against Aberrations.
- Patch 4.0.1 (2010-10-12): Ranks removed. Banish can no longer be used against players who shapeshift into demon or elemental forms.
- Patch 3.2.0 (2009-08-04): Effect will now be canceled if Banish is recast on a banished target.
- Patch 2.3.0 (2007-11-13): Banish can no longer be cast on targets tapped by other players or groups.
- Patch 1.1.0 (2004-11-07): Removed facing requirement.
- Patch 0.12 (2004-10-11): Now works against Demons and elementals only. Cooldown timer and reagent removed, duration increased, replacement added.
- Patch 0.7 (2004-06-15): Cooldown reduced to 20 minutes.
- Patch 0.6 (2004-04-13): Can now only be used on one target at a time and has a 30 minute cooldown.