We have begun migration of most wikis to our new host, Amazon Web Services. All but the top 100 wikis are in read-only mode until the migration is complete. Estimated completion: End of Week.
A bank is a building with several teller NPCs that allow a character to access a private storage area that is accessible from any bank branch. Branches appear in major cities and some towns, and allow a character to store items not currently in use. However, the term "bank" is usually used to refer to the storage space itself, rather than the physical structure.
All of the banks share the same vault; the neutral banks are equivalent to the faction banks. If you place items in one bank, you will be able to access them in another. (Canonically, this is accomplished through the use of Automated Teleportation Modules; ATM's for short.) However, players are not able to use the banks of opposing factions, because they cannot talk to the tellers.
Initially a character's bank account (vault storage space) contains 28 item storage slots at no cost. An additional seven bag slots for more space are purchasable. These provide no additional item storage slots, but allow placement of a bag that has item storage capacity. The bags can be changed out and it is common practice to progressively place larger bags. The cost of the bag slots increases with each extra slot purchased starting at 10, (then increasing to 1, 10, 25, 25, 25, 25, for a total of 111 10 for all slots (not including the bags that go into them).
Players can craft using materials currently stored in the bank, from anywhere in the world, without needing to retrieve the items first.
Unlike a real bank, you cannot store currency within the bank, only items.
- Main article: Reagent Bank
The Reagent Bank is a 98-slot bank tab which stores only crafting reagents. The Reagent Bank can be unlocked for 100. The Reagent Bank is designed to be a convenient and generous way of storing reagents.
- Extra bank space
- Auctioning items
- Managing numerous amounts of resources
Where can I find bank branches?
- Main article: List of bank locations
Horde bank branches
- Thunder Bluff (1)
- Orgrimmar (4)
- The Undercity (1)
- Silvermoon City (2)
- Shrine of Two Moons (1)
- Warspear (1)
- Frostwall (with the Storehouse unlocked)
Alliance bank branches
- Ironforge (1)
- Darnassus (1)
- Stormwind (2)
- The Exodar (1)
- Theramore (phased area before destruction)
- Shrine of Seven Stars (1)
- Stormshield (1)
- Lunarfall (with the Storehouse unlocked)
Neutral bank branches
Some neutral cities and towns have them as well:
- Ratchet (1)
- Gadgetzan (1)
- Booty Bay (1)
- Everlook (1)
- Area 52 (1)
- Shattrath City (2: Aldor/Scryer)
- Dalaran (3, later 2: Northern, Southern, and Sewer†)
† - for Northrend Dalaran only.
Portable banks can be carried with players as items or abilities, giving access to the bank anywhere in the game. They reduce a player's need to travel to a bank, but, due to their long cooldowns (often an hour or more), they do not completely remove it.
Known portable banks:
- (bank only accessible by engineers)
- / (when upgraded with an )
- ( goblin racial ability)
- (will access your guild bank)
- (one of his random service)
Other uses of the term bank
- Patch 6.0.2 (2014-10-14):
- A Reagent Bank tab has been added to the Bank providing storage for raw materials.
- Characters can now craft using the materials stored in both their Reagent Bank and Bank from anywhere.
- Characters can visit the bank to unlock the new Reagent Bank tab providing additional storage space for profession materials.
- Patch 5.3.0 (2013-05-21): Players can now use items that are in the bank or Void Storage for transmogrification.
- Patch 1.5.0 (2005-06-07): Players must now bind a bind-on-equip bag to put in into a purchased bank bag slot.