- This article is about the bat race in general. For the critter, see bat (critter). For the cat, see Bat (cat).
Tirisfal batlings can sense an opponent's heartbeat through echolocation. Vampire bats have been trained as scouts and mounts by the Forsaken of the Undercity and the Amani trolls of Zul'Aman. The Highborne used monstrous, elusive bats known as shadowbats as mounts during the War of the Ancients.
Bats are found in the Tirisfal Glades, Blackrock Depths, Shadowfang Keep, Zul'Gurub, Razorfen Kraul, Eastern Plaguelands, Ghostlands, Karazhan, and Uldaman. The monstrous, flesh-eating bloodwing bat hails from the misty jungle islands of the South Seas, where it is the undisputed ruler of the night sky.
Many bats can also be found in areas around Draenor, such as Frostfire Ridge, Zorammarsh in Tanaan Jungle and the depths of the Shadowmoon Burial Grounds. The vampire bats known as echo hunters, who dwell in the woods of Spires of Arak, don't use their eyes to hunt and can hear travelers approaching from a mile away. The forces of the Shadow Council sometimes use bats as mounts.
This section concerns content related to Battle for Azeroth.
Forsaken Dire Bats appear in Darkshore.
A bat's meat and wings are suitable for consumption. Their wings can also be used to fashion armor, and find use in some forsaken alchemy. Their hide can also be used to fashion blankets. They can eat dead insects.
As a mount
- Main article: Bat mounts
As a companion pet
- Bats can be captured in pet battles in Tirisfal Glades, Mount Hyjal and Eastern Plaguelands.
- Echo Batlings and Hog-Nosed Bats can be caught in Highmountain.
- Leatherwing Screecher is a rare drop from Island expeditions.
- Pair of Tiny Bat Wings is a rare drop from .
- is sold by the Argent Tournament vendor Eliza Killian in Icecrown for 40 .
- dropped from Tenris Mirkblood, a special boss in Karazhan that was only available during the Scourge Invasion.
- Crimson Bat Pup dropped from , the paragon chest for Talanji's Expedition.
Method of transportation
As a hunter pet
Bats are a family of Cunning pets and are tamable by hunters at level 10. Bats are used for their useful ability, which stuns a target for 2 secs from up to 20 yards away. This makes them rather strong in PVP, as their stun ability is a spell and it cannot be dodged, blocked or parried.
There are four different skins available for bat pets. Most unique of mention are the rare white bats, which at a low level may prove difficult to tame, as the only bats available with this skin are both rare spawns - Ressan the Needler and Blind Hunter. Higher level players will have a much easier time, as they can simply head over to Zul'Drak and tame a Zul'Drak Bat.
In the RPG
Dire bats are enormous bats which look like something out of a nightmare. Their wings are clawed and their fangs are long. A dire bat has a wingspan of 15 feet and weighs about 200 pounds. Dire bats swoop down upon unsuspecting prey from above.
Blizzard Shop mount.
- Other Warcraft games
A bat as seen in a piece of Hearthstone artwork.