Battle Helm of the Thunder King (quest)
|The subject of this article was removed from World of Warcraft in patch 5.4.0.
90 (Requires 90)
+100 Golden Lotus
Retrieve the Battle Helm of the Thunder King.
- Enter the Hall of Tiles
The second artifact of power is the Battle Helm of the Thunder King.
Emperor Lei Shen wore the helm into every battle. It became so well-known that his enemies would flee at the mere sight of it.
Thus, they could look upon their leader and follow him into death.
History claims that Lei Shen feared no enemy except for one. And in the end, it was death that finally defeated him.
Thank you, <name>.
While our soldiers fight the mogu on the battlefield, I work to strip away the power of their legends.
In time, Lei Shen shall be no more than the shadow of a memory.
- 236000 XP
- +100 reputation with Golden Lotus
Immediately back to the northwest, and fly in to the Guo-Lai Halls. The center door is open, finally, so head in that direction. Before actually passing the door, stop as soon as Ren Firetongue, standing in the hallway on the right side, starts saying something:
- Ren Firetongue says: Whoa! Careful over there! These tiles have violent tendencies...
- Ren Firetongue says: Cloud tile good. Other tiles bad. There was a tile at the bottom of the entrance stairs that tipped me off. My sharp eyes have saved my delicate features yet again!
- Ren Firetongue says: The mogu, they seem not so good at this game, if their dead bodies are any indication.
- Flame Spout — Summons a flame spout under a nearby player, erupting for 27 to 32 Fire damager after 3 seconds. Instant. Hits for 86,715 Fire and ticks for 8,671 Fire every 2 seconds for 6 seconds.
- Lightning Crash — Summons Lightning to a nearby player, striking for 41 to 48 Nature damage after 3 seconds. Hits for 124,291 Nature!
- Arrow Trap — Arrows fire down from the ceiling, dealing 4,125 to 5,875 Physical damage to any enemies on the triggering tile. Instant. Ticks dozens of times a second!
Stick to the cloud tiles at all times! Also, stop with Ren along the way:
- What are you doing here anyway? Come all the way down here to bask in my marvelous company?
- Zhi sent me.
- Ren Firetongue says: I see, I see.
- Ren Firetongue says: mmm, shall we?
- Ren starts running the safe path.
Follow him. He will stop at the door at the end of the hallway.
- Ren Firetongue says: Now where's that big mogu baddy that came tramping through here a short bit ago?
- Ren opens the door and resumes running, entering the Hall of the Serpent.
Keep following him. There will be some Jade Sentinels on the way that do the overhead Jade Smash move, so be sure to be clear of the area of effect before the hammer hits the ground. He'll run down the steps and across the hall to the far side, where Zhao-Jin the Bloodletter can be found, just in front of the helm!
- Ren Firetongue says: He's... so...
- Ren Firetongue says: ...ugly!
- Zhao-Jin the Bloodletter says: The Battle Helm of the Thunder-King...
- Zhao-Jin the Bloodletter says: It would seem my guards are useless. I will have to take care of you myself.
- Zhao-Jin the Bloodletter yells: There will be no cages this time. I will tear your limbs from your bodies!
Zhao is a level 90-elite mogu with 5.5 million health remaining of is 13,787,000 health pool. He has the following abilities:
- Lightning Crash 60 yd range Interruptible. 3 sec cast. Puts a red rune on the ground. If the player is standing in the rune when the missile lands, it is knocked back and takes ~35,000 Nature damage.
- Decapitating Strike 3 sec cast. Uninterruptible.
Zhao prefers casting Lightning Crash to meleeing, so don't interrupt it. Adventurers and Ren will have to work through almost 3 million health (taking Zhao-Jin down to 2.8 million health) to advance the phase:
- Zhao-Jin the BLoodletter yells: You are not as weak as I thought, but the helm is still mine...
- Zhao-Jin puts on the Ward of the Shao-Tien, making him immune to all damage and starts walking toward the helm when suddenly, Ren casts a frost spell at the helm, freezing it and preventing Zhao-Jin from picking it up!
- Zhao-Jin the Bloodletter yells: Aaaarrrghhh! <Class>, when we next meet, I will separate your head from your body.
- Zhao-Jin activates the two Jade Guardians on either side of the helm and teleports out.
- Crushing Stomp — Stomps the ground, inflicting Physical damage to all allies and enemies within 7 yards. 2.7 sec cast. (8 sec cooldown)
- Ground Rupture 10-40 yd range — Ruptures the ground under the target, dealing 0 Physical damage and knocking the target away from the destination. 3 sec cast. Spawns a rock spike underneath the target, who if not clear of the area, will be hit by...
- Ground Rupture 60 yd range — Ruptures the ground under the target, dealing 27,750 to 32,100 Physical damage and knocking the target away from the destination. Instant. Hits for ~24,000 Physical on cloth. Has a huge knockback component.
Both of the guardians will slowly move, but they will be focused on the adventurer and not Ren, so keep moving. Do try to keep them together for the Crushing Stomps, as that ability hits friend and foe alike!
Once they're both dead:
- Ren Firetongue says: Mighty fine hat! I take it this is what you were looking for?
- Ren Firetongue says: Ta ta for now, friend!
- Ren releases the ice spell on the helm and teleports out.
Loot the helm and run back to the Golden Pagoda.
Patches and hotfixes
- Patch 5.4.0 (2013-09-10): Removed.
- Hotfix (2012-10-16): "Fixed an issue that would prevent the object of the quest "Battle Helm of the Thunder King" from being looted."
- Patch 5.0.4 (2012-08-28): Added.