- "Scarab" redirects here. For the mob in Zul'Farrak, see .
Beetles, also known as scarabs, are insects found in a few areas of Azeroth. A hardy insect that can dwell in just about any climate, the beetle is known to thrive on battlefields after the fighting has ended. Some small beetles are critters, while larger ones are beasts. They are not silithid, although Silithid Scarabs and at least one species of nerubian look like beetles. Cataclysm introduced new egyptian-style skins for the beetles living in Uldum.
Beetles commonly feed on plants and other smaller insects, though some species have developed very strange appetites. One species feeds entirely on ash, while a beetles in the Burning Steppes feast on rolled-up balls of cooled magma. One enigmatic species is said to feed off the chaotic energies of the Old Gods, while its cousin feeds on crystals which resonate with ancient energies. One species can even go long periods of time without eating at all. The is a desert dwelling forager attracted to areas rich with dung. The is the most delicious of the beetle family.
Easily mistaken for a common beetle, the sting of a sand scarab will quickly clear up the misconception should you be unlucky enough to be stung by one. Gold Beetles are in fact not beetles at all, but tiny, autonomous machines created by the Titans to clean and maintain their mighty edifices. The is desert-dwelling insect which defends its eggs by spraying a foul, ogrelike scent. The shells of scarabs of Tanaris are very hard. Because of that they were hunted down to near extinction and some of them moved to Zul'Farrak.
- lives in the Weeping Cave in Western Plaguelands.
- is one 's battle pets, located on the Vir'naal Dam in Uldum.
- is one of 's battle pets, located near the Temple of Earth in Deepholm.
- is one of 's battle pets, located near Blackrock Mountain in Burning Steppes.
- is one of 's battle pets, located on Darkcloud Pinnacle in Thousand Needles.
- lives in the Unearthed Grounds of Stonetalon Mountains.
- is one of 's battle pets, located near the Tor'kren Farm in Durotar.
- lives in Boulderfist Hall in Arathi Highlands.
- lives in the Undercroft in Eastern Plaguelands.
- lives near the Wyrmbog in Dustwallow Marsh.
- is found in The Scrollkeeper's Sanctum in Temple of the Jade Serpent.
- lives in the cave of Darrow Hill in Hillsbrad Foothills.
- Amethyst Scarabs, Emerald Scarabs, Sapphire Scarabs and Turquoise Scarabs are found in Chamber of the Stars.
- Blistering Scarabs, Jeweled Scarabs and Venomous Skitterers appear in the Halls of Origination.
- Borer Beetles are found in Blackrock Depths.
- Cursed Scarabs are found in Hellfire Peninsula.
- Dread Scarabs are found in Dread Wastes.
- Lava Scarabs live in the pool of lava within the Bastion of Twilight.
- Ouro Scarabs and Qiraji Scarabs are found in the Temple of Ahn'Qiraj.
- Sand-Husk Scarabs are found in Uldum.
- Scarabs are found in Zul'Farrak in large quantities.
- Shrieker Scarabs, and Vile Scarabs are found in the Ruins of Ahn'Qiraj.
- Spire Scarabs are found in Blackrock Spire, appearing in large quantities aside Spire Scorpids.
- Temple Scarabs are found throughout Uldum.
In the RPGThis section concerns content exclusive to the Warcraft RPG and is considered non-canon.
- Scarabs were a species of beetle that lived in the Barrens.
- Giant scarabs were enormous beetles that carried foul disease. The trolls of Zul'Farrak consider them sacred. A giant scarab attacks prey mindlessly, releasing a disease cloud as it closes. A giant scarab can release a cloud of diseased air that extends outward from the beetle in a 15-foot-radius spread. Creatures within the cloud are subject to chokemist disease.
As a companion pet
Wild battle pets
Beetles and scarabs are among the most common types of wild battle pets found around the world.
- Beetles and Fire Beetles in various zones
- Crystal Beetles in Deepholm
- Dung Beetles in Durotar, Orgrimmar and Uldum
- Gold Beetles in Badlands, Gorgrond and Tanaris
- Lava Beetles in Burning Steppes
- Savory Beetles in Krasarang Wilds
- Scarab Hatchlings in Silithus
- Stinkbugs in Tanaris
- Tol'vir Scarabs in Uldum
As a hunter pet
Beetles are a type of hunter pet that first became tameable in World of Warcraft: Cataclysm. They are tenacious pets who harden up their skin, reducing damage taken from opponents for a short time with their ability .
Some hunters, as well as other nearby players, often find the clicking sound they make while walking, running, and attacking to be distracting and/or annoying at times.
Patch 4.0.3a (2010-11-23): Are now tamable.