Before the Gates of Orgrimmar (Alliance)
120 (Requires 120)
Begin the battle at the gates of Orgrimmar.
- Speak with Anduin to begin the battle
We have prepared for this battle as best we can, <name>. I pray that we all survive what is to come.
Saurfang... he gave his life so our soldiers wouldn't lose theirs.
None of us anticipated that he would challenge Sylvanas directly. But perhaps she did.
<Jaina shakes her head.>
It does us no good to debate whether this was part of her plan or if she merely took advantage of an opportunity. We must be on our guard against her schemes.
Saurfang won his final battle. I do not know what will become of the Horde, but I have hope that they will find a new path to follow.
Speak to Anduin to begin the event.
- This is our one and only chance. We must stop Sylvanas here and now.
I am ready. For the Alliance!
- Backed by the combined armies of the Alliance and Horde, Varok Saurfang, Anduin Wrynn, and Thrall approach the Gates of Orgrimmar.
- Thrall: Varok... It's time.
- Saurfang takes notice of Sylvanas's own army gathered atop the gates.
- Varok Saurfang: Those who defend Orgrimmar are Horde as well. Our brothers and sisters.
- Thrall: These warriors have sworn to fight. For you. Many lives will be lost.
- Varok Saurfang: Or perhaps... just one.
- Saurfang steps towards the gates by himself and calls out.
- Varok Saurfang: Sylvanas Windrunner! I challenge... Mak'gora!
- The gates open, and Sylvanas and a single Forsaken banner-carrier step forward to meet Saurfang. Sylvanas looks upon those gathered before her.
- Sylvanas Windrunner: A traitor leading traitors. Why should I accept your challenge?
- Varok Saurfang: You want to make me suffer.
- Sylvanas gives a slight smirk, then gestures for her banner-carrier to hand over two blades. As she turns around to accept them, Saurfang turns to face Thrall, who hands him his axe.
- Thrall: Brother... you cannot win.
- Varok Saurfang: My old friend. You... and I...
- Saurfang places his hand on Thrall's shoulder, who responds soon after.
- Thrall: We don't get to hide.
- Saurfang nods, then turns to face Anduin.
- Anduin Wrynn: I set you on this path.
- Varok Saurfang: And we knew where it could lead. Walk with me the rest of the way.
- Anduin unsheathes Shalamayne from his side, offering it to Saurfang for his duel. Saurfang accepts it with another faint nod. He turns and advances towards Sylvanas with Anduin following slightly behind him. Suddenly, Zekhan rushes out from the crowd and attempts to approach Saurfang, but Thrall holds him back, then places his hand on the troll's shoulder. Saurfang and Sylvanas face each other with their weapons in hand.
- Varok Saurfang: Let it be finished.
- Saurfang charges Sylvanas in an attempt to land the first blow with the axe, but she parries him and disarms him of it. She lands a number of hits on him, which leave shadowy wounds over his body. Saurfang falls to his knees as Sylvanas looms over him and taunts the orc before kneeling into frame.
- Sylvanas Windrunner: The High Overlord falls. I trusted you.
- Thrall and Zekhan look upon Saurfang from afar.
- Sylvanas Windrunner: And so did they. Death comes old soldier. And all their hope dies with you.
- Saurfang and Zekhan exchange looks for a moment, the former with a ghost of a smile seemingly determined once more.
- Varok Saurfang: You cannot kill hope.
- Saurfang gets up, then begins attacking Sylvanas once again, each consecutive blow of Shalamayne parried.
- Varok Saurfang: You tried at Teldrassil. You failed. Hope remains. You set us to kill each other at Lordaeron. You failed. Here we stand. You just keep failing. The Horde will endure. The Horde is strong.
- After Sylvanas knocks him back, Saurfang splits Shalamayne into Shalla'tor and Ellemayne, swinging both back around at her. The first is parried, but the second successfully slices her right eye, leaving behind a cut across it and cuts right through the lower eyelid. An upset Sylvanas visibly recoils from the attack.
- Sylvanas Windrunner: The Horde... is nothing!
- The angrily barked last word echoes out that everyone can hear. The Forsaken banner-bearer at Sylvanas's side gives her an aggrieved, accusatory expression. Realizing she unintentionally betrayed her true thoughts, Sylvanas seemingly drops her facade and yells towards everyone in her presence.
- Sylvanas Windrunner: You are all nothing!
- Saurfang stands triumphant for a moment, then charges Sylvanas.
- Varok Saurfang: For Azeroth!
- Sylvanas suddenly unleashes a bolt of dark magic at Saurfang, instantly killing him. As his lifeless, steaming corpse falls to the ground, she gloats.
- Sylvanas Windrunner: If you could see yourselves as I see you. Toy soldiers in tin plate. Beasts who howl for honor. Standing as one. Savor it... Nothing lasts.
- Sylvanas raises her hands, with wisps of shadowy smoke enveloping her as she lifts off and flies away, vanishing. Zekhan and Thrall rush to the side of Saurfang's body, the former distraught and reaches out to touch his necklace.
- Zekhan: What... do we do now?
- Anduin's armor and footsteps can be heard moving as he walks up to join them.
- Thrall: We bring him home.
- Anduin, Thrall, and Zekhan lift up Saurfang's body, Thrall cradling the head with one hand, and he stares forward at the Forsaken banner-carrier. The banner-carrier stares back for a moment, then stamps her banner into the ground twice, turning as the Gates of Orgrimmar opens to admit them and stands aside at attention. As the three carry Saurfang's body into Orgrimmar, the rest of the Forsaken atop the walls one by one begin to stamp their banners together in an identical fashion until they all join in, the two continuous clanks together sounding like a vast heartbeat, pledging their loyalty to the Horde over Sylvanas.
- Patch 8.2.5 (2019-09-24): Added.