Before the Storm (quest)
|This article is a quest stub. You can help expand it by editing it.|
98 - 110 (Requires 98)
Before the Storm begins the monk artifact and class hall acquisition quest chain. As players enter Dalaran, Initiate Da-Nel runs up to get the player's attention:
- Initiate Da-Nel says: Hey, <name>! Message for you from Grand Master Hight!
- Initiate Da-Nel says: Where are you goinging? Hey, got a message for you!
- Initiate Da-Nel says: Come on! I got to deliver this message!
- 1 Objectives
- 2 Description
- 3 Rewards
- 4 Completion
- 5 Gains
- 6 Notes
- 7 Progression
- 8 Patch changes
- 9 External links
- Use the ability to travel to the Peak of Serenity
- Speak with Master Hight
- Complete the "Serenity's End" Scenario
<Name>! I have been looking all over this strange city for you!
Grand Master Hight has requested all senior monks to return to the Peak of Serenity as soon as possible. That means you too, of course.
I'll bet a week's worth of brew that this has something to do with the assault on the Broken Shore I've heard tales about!
Welcome back to the living, <name>. We nearly lost you in that explosion! Lucky for us that the Wandering Isle happened to be traveling nearby.
The people here have graciously allowed us to reside at the temple. It's not like the Peak of Serenity, but this will make a fine new home.
- 15,050 XP
- Initiate Da-Nel says: Have a safe journey.
Da-Nel bows before leaving.
Stage 1: The Council of Masters
The masters of the Peak of Serenity have gathered for a conclave.
- Speak with Master Hight and ensure that the meeting continues
Walk over to Master Hight:
- Master Hight says: Ah, <name>, it's good to see you again. Now that we are all gathered, let's begin.
- Master Hight says: As you all know, the defeat at the Broken Shore was decisive. The loss of so many valiant heroes was a terrible blow.
- Master Hight says: The Burning Legion is a grave threat. We must find a way to stop their assault before all that we hold dear can be...
- Master Hight says: By the Jade Serpent! What was that?!
- The gates to the door open, with Initiate Chuang and an infernal behind him.
- Initiate Chuang yells: Grand Master Hight... <gasp> Grand Master Hight! A giant... THING appeared in the sky!
- Initiate Chuang yells: Demons are appearing everywh--
- The infernal charges across the room, taking Initiate Chuang with him and crashing into the other door.
- Initiate Chuang yells: AHHHHHH!
- Master Hight yells: Chuang!
- The monk adventurer and the gathered monks defeat the infernal, and the monks walk over to the injured Chuang.
Stage 2: The Cry of the Crane
Rescue Master Crane.
- Assist Master Crane
- Master Hight says: Chuang, are you alright? Speak to me!
- Initiate Chuang says: Oh... my head...
- Initiate Chuang says: <cough> The demons... they cut down the students before my eyes! <wheeze> Hard shouting... from the Cave of the Crane...
- Initiate Chuang says: I... I don't feel so good...
- Chuang passes out then is picked up by a nearby monk, reviving him with ale.
- Master Hight says: Brace the west door! I don't want anymore surprises. Now let's see what's going on out there.
- The Peak is swarmed by demons, with monks fighting them off.
- Master Hight says: No... this cannot be!
- Master Hight says: There are too many of them! We have to evacuate!
- Master Hight says: <Name>, I need you to send any survivors you find back to the temple. Chaung mentioned the Cave of the Crane, so start there. Hurry, we must escape before we are overrun!
Start clearing the way to the cave. Eventually Lady Keletress will react.
- Lady Keletress says: I see you, monk! Your struggle is for naught. My forces will purge your order from the face of this world!
- Number Nine Jia yells: Begone, foul creature! You will not harm any more of our sacred texts!
- Number Nine Jia yells: Away with you, monster!
- Vizznak says: Haha! More things to burn!
Quickly dispatch of the demon, and interrupt his casts.
- Number Nine Jia says: Thank you, friend! My students died to protect these scrolls. Centuries of history could have been lost!
Stage 3: Journey to the East
With Master Crane's help, reach the west temple grounds
- Use Number Nine Jia's assistance to access the west temple grounds
- Number Nine Jia says: Chen Stormstout was teaching a class of youngsters when the attack began. He's one of the strongest monks I know, but even he won't be able to hold out forever. Come, we must rescue them!
- Jia goes outside, seeing the place overrun with demons, blocking their path.
- Number Nine Jia says: No good! We don't have time to fight our way through that horde!
- Number Nine Jia says: If I focus my Chi, I believe I can get us behind their forces. Quickly, <name>. Take my hand.
Interact with Jia to teleport to the other side of the Peak, close to Chen.
Stage 4: Tangle with a Tiger
Chen Stormstout was leading a children's class when the attack began. Rescue him and the children!
- Rescue Chen Stormstout
- Hiro says: <name>! Master Jia! Thank de spirits ya be alive! THese demons be endless!
- Number Nine Jia says: This is worse then[sic] I feared. <name>! We must part ways. They need my help here at the temple. Chen's class should be just to the north across the bridges.
Fight your way across the bridge and reach Chen.
- Chen Stormstout yells: Hey! Over here!
Quickly kill the demon.
- Chen Stormstout yells: Try again, monster!
- Lady Keletress says: You cannot hide from me, monk. Try as you might but your monastery will burn!
Stage 5: Precious Cargo
Accompany Chen and the children back to the Temple.
- Children rescued
- Chen Stormstout says: Thank you for the assistance, friend! That foul creature put up quite a fight!
- Chen Stormstout yells: Children! Behave yourselves!
- Junior Trainee says: Sorry.
- Junior Trainee says: Sorry.
- Junior Trainee says: Sorry.
- Chen Stormstout says: Come, children, we must get to the temple. <name>, I'll need your help. The complex is crawling with evil!
- Chen Stormstout yells: Infernal incoming! Watch your head!
- Kill the infernal and cross the bridge.
- Master Hight says: Chen, I'm glad to see you and the children are safe!
Stage 6: Mastering the Odds
- Defeat Portal Master Jorvinax
- Chen Stormstout says: It was all thanks to <name>, who arrived just in time to help us out.
- Portal Master Jorvinax yells: Pathetic mortals! The armies of the Legion will crush you!
- Master Hight says: Well fought, <name>, but we're not done yet.
- Master Hight says: Chen, take the cubs as far away from this place as you can. <name>, and I will stay and seal the portal. White Tiger walk with you, my friend.
- Master Hight says: We can not allow the Legion to establish a foothold here. We need to close that portal down!
- Hight and the monk adventurer walk down the ramp, on their way to Jorvinax.
- Lady Keletress says: You are stronger than you look, monk, but I will not be defied! Jorvinax! Keep that portal open!
- Master Hight says: That demon will just open another portal if we don't take care of it first. Prepare yourself, <name>!
Kill Jorvinax, avoiding the spires that he summons.
Final Stage: Portal Problems
With Jorvinax dead the portal is left unguarded. Find a way to destroy it!
- Destroy the demon portal
- Master Hight yells: Well done, <name>! That Fel Stone must be powering the portal. Destroy it!
Interact with the Master Fel Stone, which plays a short cutscene.
- Master Hight yells: They're coming through!
- A group of demons comes through the portal, but the monk adventurer throws the Fel Stone up in the air, then whirlwind kicks it into the portal, causing a massive explosion.
When the cutscene is done, you later awake on the Wandering Isle.
- Nurse Yang says: Ah you're awake! Feeling better I hope? You were out for quite a while!
- Nurse Yang says: Welcome to Shen-zin Su! I'm so sorry about what happened to the Peak of Serenity. We of Mandori Village are happy to allow you to stay here.
- Nurse Yang says: The other survivors are up at the temple. If you're feeling well, then you should head over there.
- Level 98
- Acquire the chosen artifact:
- Brewmaster ()
- Mistweaver ()
- Windwalker (Fists of the Heavens ( and ))
- Level 101
- Level 102
- Level 103
- Level 110
- Patch 7.0.3 (2016-07-19): Added.