Beginning the Descent
Wrathion using his power on a gate.
|Level||120 (Requires 120)|
|Category||Black Empire Campaign|
|Reputation||+500 Champions of Azeroth|
- 1 Objectives
- 2 Description
- 3 Rewards
- 4 Progress
- 5 Completion
- 6 Notes
- 6.1 Stage 1: Forced Entry
- 6.2 Stage 2: Investigation Effort
- 6.3 Stage 3: Experimental Setback
- 6.4 Stage 4: Curious Magic
- 6.5 Stage 5: Concentration is Key
- 6.6 Stage 6: The Athenaeum
- 6.7 Stage 7: Twisted Experiments
- 6.8 Stage 8: Free From Darkness
- 6.9 Stage 9: Ritual of Flame
- 6.10 Stage 10: Preventative Measures
- 6.11 Final Stage: Scales of Corruption
- 6.12 Finale
- 7 Progression
- 8 Patches and hotfixes
- 9 External links
Protecting one's mind against the old gods requires an object of pure corruption. Unbeknownst to many, one such object exists--dormant beneath the molten pits of Blackwing Descent.
Until recently, one of my agents stood watch over the area, keeping detailed records of suspicious activities. Unfortunately, this agent has gone silent. It is now clear we are not the only ones with this knowledge.
If we are to find answers, there is one place to look.
Our journey continues, <name>. Blackrock awaits.
You will receive:
Have you recovered what we discussed?
The scales of corruption now serve as protection for those who stand against it.
Now, let's see what a <class> of your caliber is capable of when dressed for the occasion.
- Wrathion says: I will rendezvous with my operative outside Blackrock Mountain. Meet me there.
- Wrathion says: It appears N'Zoth is one step ahead of us.
- Wrathion says: Grief will have to wait. For now, we press on.
Stage 1: Forced Entry
- Gain access to the Vault of the Shadowflame.
- Access the Vault of the Shadowflame
- Wrathion says: N'Zoth's forces have seized Nefarian's lair.
- Wrathion says: Make haste, <name>. There can be only one reason they are here.
- Dark Inquisitor Xanesh yells: You will serve the master--or die!
Several wounded Flawed Experiments are seen flying around the chamber.
At the bottom of the elevator is a Failed Experiment. Wrathion quickly inspects it:
- Wrathion says: The suffering they inflict upon these dragons...
- Dark Inquisitor Xanesh yells: Ah, the infamous Black Prince. Such an honor to finally to meet you.
- Dark Inquisitor Xanesh yells: Behold the work of your fallen kin. Fear not... his efforts will not go to waste.
Should players choose to inspect the Experiment, it has this gossip text:
- <The drake's belly slowly expands, breathing in the warm, dry air, exhaling moments later as it struggles to maintain its breath.>
Stage 2: Investigation Effort
- Continue the investigation.
- Speak with Wrathion
Speak with him:
- After all these years, the silence within these chambers has been shattered.
- Something must be done.
Stage 3: Experimental Setback
- Wrathion says: These cultists intend to revive Nefarian's experiments. We must stop them.
- Wrathion says: Eliminate the ones conducting the research. I will bring down the barrier.
Kill a path to either the Fleshrender's Workshop to the east or the Den of the Devourer to the west.
At the Fleshrender's Workshop:
- Extractor Thelsara yells: Intruders! Stop them!
- Wrathion says: The cultists have repurposed the alchemy lab to experiment on those whelps. Put a stop to it.
At the barrier
- Wrathion says: This is powerful magic... It will take me some time to dispel it.
At the Den of the Devourer:
- Wrathion says: It seems that the failed experiments become fodder for that monstrosity. Avenge them, champion.
The Spawn of Shad'har is not damageable until the Darkwhisper Cultists channeling into it are defeated.
Defeat both named mobs to continue.
Stage 4: Curious Magic
- Meet Wrathion at the magical barrier in the Vault of the Shadowflame.
- Meet Wrathion at the barrier
- Dark Inquisitor Xanesh yells: Your efforts are meaningless! Nefarian's legacy will soon be ours.
- Wrathion says: Return to me, champion. This barrier is proving more... resilient than I anticipated.
Back to the ring, then head north.
- Wrathion says: I nearly have it... just another--
Stage 5: Concentration is Key
- Defend Wrathion while he dispels the barrier.
- Defend Wrathion
- Wrathion says: Behind you!
Out of a void tear spawn two waves of two mobs, then a final mob. Defeat all of them to continue.
- Wrathion says: There!
Stage 6: The Athenaeum
- Investigate the Athenaeum.
- Investigate the Athenaeum
- Wrathion runs into the Athenaeum and is immediately captured and taken out of the fight.
- Dark Inquisitor Xanesh yells: At last, the Black Prince graces us with his presence.
- Vexiona says: The black dragonflight was unworthy of the master's gifts. But you can still be of use to him.
- Vexiona says: Begin the ritual. The master has summoned me to Ny'alotha. Our lesser creations can slay the prince's companion.
- Dark Inquisitor Xanesh says: Your father proved incapable of resisting the Old Gods, little whelp. Such hubris to think you would fare any better!
- Wrathion yells: No!
Stage 7: Twisted Experiments
- Destroy the corrupted experiments in the Athenaeum.
Clear out the trash mobs, then the two drakes.
Stage 8: Free From Darkness
- Stop the ritual to free Wrathion.
- Darkwhisper Ritualists slain x4
Return to the Vault of the Shadowflame, and Xanesh starts monologuing.
- Dark Inquisitor Xanesh yells: It was child's play to lure you here. This tiresome obsession with your dragonflight's legacy will be your undoing.
- Dark Inquisitor Xanesh yells: Using your essence, we will raise Nefarian and Onyxia to serve N'Zoth. In the master's name, their wings will darken the skies once more!
- Wrathion yells: I will see you burn for this!
Try to ignore any mobs other than the Darkwhisper Ritualists channeling into Wrathion.
Stage 9: Ritual of Flame
- Speak with Wrathion to begin the ritual.
- Complete the Ritual of Flame
A cutscene plays out:
- Wrathion says: Enough! You cannot break me like you broke my father!
- Wrathion says: The black dragonflight will purge your master from Azeroth!
- Dark Inquisitor Xanesh says: Impudent dragon. All of your kind will bow before N'Zoth!
- Wrathion says: With me, champion. Let us bring this to an end.
Meet Wrathion at the south end of the ring:
- Only the burning flames of the pit below stand between us and the object you seek.
- When you are ready we will begin.
- Let us begin the ritual.
- Wrathion says: I underestimated the sway the Old Gods still hold over the black dragonflight. There was little I could do to resist their power.
- Wrathion says: I will not allow my dragonflight to be corrupted again. Nefarian's and Onyxia's remains must be destroyed.
Stage 10: Preventative Measures
- Destroy the remains of Onyxia and Nefarian.
- Wrathion says: Recover their scales once it is done. Those, at least, will aid us in protecting Azeroth.
Jump down and interact with the Dragon Remains to destroy them.
Final Stage: Scales of Corruption
- Retrieve the Corrupt Black Dragonscales.
- Corrupt Black Dragonscales acquired
- Wrathion says: I entrust the scales to you, <name>. Return to the Chamber of Heart, so that we might wield them against N'Zoth.
- You receive item: Ashjra'kamas, Shroud of Resolve.
- Wrathion says: This is more than a mere cloak, <name>. It is all that remains of my once proud dragonflight.
- Wrathion says: Corrupted by N'Zoth in life, they will shield you from his influence in death. Now let us brave his vision once more.
- Faction intro:
- Unlocks if players have not already acquired a corrupted item
Patches and hotfixes
- Hotfix (2020-01-14): "Players investigating Blackwing Descent with Wrathion should no longer be blocked from entering the instance during “” and “”."
- Patch 8.3.0 (2020-01-14): Added.