As part of the Unified Community Platform project, your wiki will be migrated to the new platform in the next few weeks. Read more here.
Black Lotus can be found in Winterspring, Eastern Plaguelands, Burning Steppes, Silithus, and outside the instance portals in Dire Maul. It is rare in all of these places and never appears anywhere else.
It can also very rarely be obtained from harvesting the corpses of plant-like mobs such as Bog Lords in Outland. The chance to get a black lotus appears to increase with the monster's level, so chances are higher in places like Skettis, The Steamvault, Serpentshrine Cavern and heroic Coilfang Reservoir instances.
As an ingredient
Black Lotus spawns
Each of the spawn zones has a small set of spawn points for Black Lotus. Only one Black Lotus will spawn at a time in the zone. Check sites which focus on gathering WoW data to see maps of the spawn locations. It is estimated that the respawn rate is 1 hour, possibly spawning on the hour.
The Black Lotus is possibly either a reference or inspired by the Conan the Barbarian stories, in which a highly venomous plant known as the Black Lotus first appeared. It could also be a reference to the card Black Lotus, from the Magic: The Gathering trading card game, in which the Black Lotus card is among the most powerful and expensive cards in the game.
Patches and hotfixes
- Patch 6.0.2 (2014-10-14): Stacks to 200, up from 20.
- Patch 2.4.2 (2008-05-13): Black Lotus will now show up under the Herb subcategory in the auction house.
- Patch 1.7.0 (2005-09-13): Black Lotus is no longer soulbound.
- Hotfix (2020-05-28): "
- Black Lotus now spawns more often and can appear in many new locations.
- Black Lotus cannot be seen on-screen or on the minimap by players who are dead, unless they have Herbalism at level 300 or higher."