- For the critter, see Spider (critter).
Spiders are a type of animal found commonly throughout Azeroth, alternate Draenor and even the Firelands. The most common of the arachnid family, these critters spin their webs in nearly every corner of Azeroth. Commonly enhanced by corruptive magic, like the fel magic of the burning legion, or the necromancy of the Scourge and the Forsaken, they are also seen as plain wild animals. Spiders can be expected to use poisonous attacks and webbing in combat, often from a distance. One species of spider has entirely lost their carnivorous appetites, and instead feed on plants and fruit.
- 1 Traits in World of Warcraft
- 2 History
- 3 Models
- 4 Known species
- 5 Named uncategorized
- 6 Mount
- 7 As a hunter pet
- 8 As a companion pet
- 9 Gallery
- 10 See also
- 11 References
- 12 External links
Traits in World of Warcraft
- Spiders are usually classified as Beasts, with a few Bone Spiders classified as Undead.
- With a few exceptions, spiders cannot be skinned.
- Usually drop webbing, spider legs, spinnerets, mandibles (or fangs), or spider meat as loot.
- Main article: Spider (Warcraft I)
- Poisonous and huge, these spiders are found in dwellings long forgotten by time and man. Their bite is venomous, and their many legs make them an agile opponent. Having grown so large from years of hunting increasingly larger prey, they have learned to hide in dark places and attack from the shadows.
- The Warlock clan have used their magiks to create the hideous abomination that they call spiders. Mutated from the smaller creatures commonly found in the area, these huge poison fanged beasts are twisted and predatory. While some are controlled by the Warlocks, many grow too large to maintain control over, and are released into the forbidden lands. These giant spiders lurk in dark, dank places and spin their webs, seeking to entrap the unwary.
Spiders and corruption
The Scourge has a strong connection with spiders. Large spiders can be found in any area affected by the undead plague, Bone spiders are found serving the scourge and Naxxramas has an entire wing devoted to spiders and spider-like creatures.
Recently, the Forsaken have developed something of a kinship with spiders. The Forsaken tend to them in the fields of Hillsbrad Foothills, allowing them to latch their eggs onto a suitable carrier - usually some variation of bear, until the little spiders are of age to be collected from their host. The spiders are used as sentries, pets and companions among the Forsaken empire. Dark rangers can be seen alongside domesticated spiders around the Ruins of Southshore.
There are eight models for spiders in World of Warcraft:
- One with thin, spindly legs, referred to as Venom (or Mine) Spider.
- One with a hairy, tarantula-like body, referred to as Tarantula (model also used for lava spiders).
- One with sharp barbs that was first introduced in the original Naxxramas, referred to as Giant Spider.
- One with a bone-like structure that was introduced with Wrath of the Lich King, referred to as Bone Spider.
- One with a fiery rock-like structure that was introduced with Cataclysm, referred to as Fire Spider.
- Two introduced with Legion for spider demon and nightmare spider NPCs whose models are similar.
- One used for the Bloodfang Widow mount introduced with Legion.
Within those different models, several skins are used to show different species, which include, but not limited to the list of species below.
Spiders in Warcraft III
Spiders in Warcraft III were a type of hostile creep, who could be found in a number of different tilesets.
- Lordaeron fall, Winter and Summer:
- Ashenvale, Felwood:
- Though many scholars believe that all spiders trace their roots back to the ancient kingdom of Azjol-Nerub, the giant spiders of Kalimdor have made a claim to the shadowy corners of Ashenvale Forest. Though not necessarily evil, wild spiders can become fearsome opponents if they feel their nests have been defiled.
For named spiders of specific types, see the individual articles.
- Bloodtip is the matriarch of the Ashweb Spiders and is found in the Guo-Lai Halls.
- Charlotte is the pet of Wilba.
- Shadra is one of the loa of the Zandalari trolls and the Witherbark tribe of forest trolls.
As a hunter pet
- Spiders can root enemies with place with their skill, , making them of special interest to some hunters. The spindly spider model, found both on Bloodmyst Isle and in Outland, makes a high-pitched screeching noise when it attacks, causing some hunters to use it to "creep out" other players.
- Undead Hunters will start with a Spider as a pet.
As a companion pet
- is a rare drop from Venomarus in Arathi Highlands.
- can drop from chests in .
- Rebuilt Mechanical Spider is a pet constructed from parts obtained during Vol'dun Faction Assaults.
- drops from Mother Smolderweb in Lower Blackrock Spire.
- is bought for 100 from Nigel Rifthold in Drustvar.
Wild battle pets
Much like moths, spiders are one of the more common types of wild battle pets found around the world.
- Amethyst Spiderlings and Feverbite Hatchlings in Krasarang Wilds
- Ash Spiderlings in Searing Gorge and Talador
- Burrow Spiderlings in Highmountain
- Crystal Spiders in Winterspring
- Crystalline Broodlings in Suramar
- Dusk Spiderlings in Duskwood
- Felspiders in Azsuna and Highmountain
- Forest Spiderlings in Stranglethorn Vale and Shadowmoon Valley
- Jumping Spiders in the Jade Forest
- Skittering Cavern Crawlers in Blade's Edge Mountains
- Spiders in various zones
- Thornclaw Broodlings in Suramar
- Twilight Spiders in Azshara, Deepholm and Twilight Highlands
- Venomspitter Hatchlings in Stonetalon Mountains
- Vicious Broodlings in Suramar
- Widow Spiderlings in Duskwood