- For the Warcraft II ability of the same name, see Mage (Warcraft II)#Spells. For the Warcraft III ability of the same name, see Archmage (Warcraft III)#Blizzard. For the company named Blizzard, see Blizzard Entertainment.
Calling down shards of freezing ice to batter and rend their enemies, Archmagi have been known to rout entire armies using this spell. One of the Alliance’s most feared spells, Blizzard has become even more effective and deadly since its original inception during the First War. Summoning torrential storms from the frozen Mountains of Northeron, this potent spell calls down a fierce tempest of ice to assault the enemies of the Mage with a flurry of cold blades. Blizzard can be cast over large portions of the battlefield, making it an extremely powerful spell when facing legions of Orcish troops.This section concerns content exclusive to the Warcraft RPG and is considered non-canon.
This mage, wizard and sorcerer spell calls freezing sleet, snow and hailstones on foes. The cutting ice shards and hail pound down upon the caster’s enemies and foes, battering them and causing slashing, impact and cold damage.
The 5 pc. bonus from the Netherwind Regalia set will increase the radius of the ground-target area by 25%, for a 10 yd radius.
Tips and tactics
Most mages find this spell hard to cast fully in PvP. Because of the large number of debilitating procs on the spell, many targets will immediately begin seeking out and subsequently killing the mage casting Blizzard. However, in large or confusing battles, or from sufficient cover, it may be possible to cast the spell to its conclusion, doing damage and snaring the targets for the duration.
A single tick of damage from this spell is enough to reveal stealthed opponents and apply the snare; this can be useful in limited circumstances.
Farming and leveling with Blizzard
The Blizzard spell is a great tool to rapidly gain experience and to smash whole groups of mobs at once making it a powerful farming spell as well.
- Ideal locations for this tactic have large numbers of mobs that have few or no ranged capability. These mobs will be caught in the snare and will stay packed together.
- Maximize your effectiveness by attracting as many mobs as possible at once.
- Use (especially if you're using the Ice Block method, above) to freeze mobs you have gathered and gain some distance from them before beginning your Blizzard casts.
- If the mobs reach you before dying, use to regain distance. Alternatively, if they are low in health, a cast of may finish them off.
- Blizzard is one of the spells available to the Mage unit in Warcraft II: Tides of Darkness.
- Blizzard is one of the spells available to the Jaina and Archmage hero units in Warcraft III: Reign of Chaos.
- Blizzard is a rare Mage ability card in the World of Warcraft: Trading Card Game's Blood of Gladiators series.
- Blizzard is a rare Mage spell in Hearthstone. The flavor text reads: "This spell can be very Entertaining."
- Blizzard is one of Jaina's Basic Abilities in Heroes of the Storm.
Patches and hotfixes
- Patch 7.1.0 (2016-10-25):
- Damage increased by 10%.
- Now learned at level 18 (was 44).
- Hotfix (2016-09-23): "Blizzard damage increased by 36%, and mana cost reduced by 50%."
- Patch 7.0.3 (2016-07-19): Now has a cast time instead of being a channeled spell. Movement speed reduction reduced to 30% (from 50%). Damage increased by 20%.
- Patch 6.0.2 (2014-10-14): Restricted to the Frost specialization.
- Patch 5.3.0 (2013-05-21): Now deals 40% more damage.
- Patch 5.0.4 (2012-08-28): Now also reduces movement speed of affected targets by 50%.
- Patch 4.1.0 (2011-04-26): Damage has been increased by 70%.
- Patch 3.0.8 (2009-01-20): Can now trigger the talent .
- Patch 3.0.2 (2008-10-14): This spell is now capable of critical strikes.
- Patch 2.4.0 (2008-03-25): The casting bar will now display properly when casting Blizzard with spell haste.
- Patch 2.2.0 (2007-09-25): This spell is now affected by area damage caps. Its bonus damage coefficients have also been increased.
- Patch 1.1.0 (2004-11-07): Deals its damage in more frequent intervals.
- ^ Warcraft III manual, pg. 8
- ^ Warcraft II: Tides of Darkness manual, Mage Spells
- ^ Aylott, Christopher; Zach Bush, Jeff Grubb, Luke Johnson, Seth Johnson, Mur Lafferty, Greg Netcher. in Mike Johnstone: Dungeons & Dragons Warcraft The Roleplaying Game: 159. ISBN 978-1588460714.
- ^ Johnstone, Mike; Rob Baxter, Bob Fitch, Luke Johnson, Seth Johnson, Mur Lafferty, Andrew Rowe. in Ellen P. Kiley: World of Warcraft: The Roleplaying Game: 265, 282, 283. ISBN 978-1588467812.