Hello there! We are conducting a survey to better understand the user experience in making a first edit. If you have ever made an edit on Gamepedia, please fill out the survey. Thank you!
- For the Warcraft II ability of the same name, see Mage (Warcraft II)#Spells. For the Warcraft III ability of the same name, see Archmage (Warcraft III)#Blizzard. For the company named Blizzard, see Blizzard Entertainment.
Calling down shards of freezing ice to batter and rend their enemies, Archmagi have been known to rout entire armies using this spell. One of the Alliance’s most feared spells, Blizzard has become even more effective and deadly since its original inception during the First War. Summoning torrential storms from the frozen Mountains of Northeron, this potent spell calls down a fierce tempest of ice to assault the enemies of the Mage with a flurry of cold blades. Blizzard can be cast over large portions of the battlefield, making it an extremely powerful spell when facing legions of Orcish troops.
This mage, wizard and sorcerer spell calls freezing sleet, snow and hailstones on foes. The cutting ice shards and hail pound down upon the caster’s enemies and foes, battering them and causing slashing, impact and cold damage.
- Blizzard deals damage in 9 ticks, the first tick instantly, and the remaining 8 ticks each second (before Haste).
- Haste reduces the duration, the time between ticks, and the cooldown. However, Haste does not add any additional ticks.
- Rank 2 - Starting at level 63, Blizzard reduces the remaining cooldown on by 0.5 seconds each time it strikes a target.
- - Increases the critical strike chance of Blizzard against frozen targets.
- - Causes Blizzard to grant a stack of Bone Chilling every time it strikes a target, increasing spell damage by up to 5%.
- - Casting Frozen Orb causes Blizzard to be instant cast and deal 50% increased damage for 12 sec.
- - Increases Blizzard's snare to 65%.
- Blizzard is one of the spells available to the Mage unit in Warcraft II: Tides of Darkness.
- Blizzard is one of the spells available to the Jaina and Archmage hero units in Warcraft III: Reign of Chaos.
- Blizzard is a rare Mage ability card in the World of Warcraft: Trading Card Game's Blood of Gladiators series.
- Blizzard is a rare Mage spell in Hearthstone. The flavor text reads: "This spell can be very Entertaining."
- Blizzard is one of Jaina's Basic Abilities in Heroes of the Storm.
Patches and hotfixes
- Patch 8.1.0 (2018-12-11): Blizzard now applies a 50% snare for 3 seconds (was 50% snare for 15 seconds) and range increased to 40 yards (was 35 yards). Spellpower co-efficient reduced by ~12%.
- Patch 7.1.5 (2017-01-10): Blizzard no longer activates . Rank 2 effect added.
- Patch 7.1.0 (2016-10-25): Damage increased by 10%. Snare increased to 50% (up from 30%). Now learned at level 18 (was 44).
- Hotfix (2016-09-23): "Blizzard damage increased by 36%, and mana cost reduced by 50%."
- Patch 7.0.3 (2016-07-19): No longer channeled. Now has a 2 second cast time and an 8 second cooldown (up from no cooldown). Movement speed reduction reduced to 30% (down from 50%). Damage increased by 20%.
- Patch 6.0.2 (2014-10-14): Blizzard is now considered a Frost specialization ability, and is no longer available to Arcane or Fire specializations.
- Patch 5.3.0 (2013-05-21): Now deals 40% more damage.
- Patch 5.0.4 (2012-08-28): Blizzard now also reduces movement speed of affected targets by 50%.
- Patch 4.1.0 (2011-04-26): Damage has been increased by 70%.
- Patch 3.0.8 (2009-01-20): Blizzard can now trigger the talent .
- Patch 3.0.2 (2008-10-14): This spell is now capable of critical strikes.
- Patch 2.4.0 (2008-03-25): The casting bar will now display properly when casting Blizzard with spell haste.
- Patch 2.2.0 (2007-09-25): This spell is now affected by area damage caps. Its bonus damage coefficients have also been increased.
- Patch 2.1.0 (2007-05-22): Now affected by spell haste.
- Patch 1.9.0 (2006-01-03): Blizzard will now be able to gain a Clearcasting state from .
- Patch 1.1.0 (2004-11-07): Deals its damage in more frequent intervals.
- ^ Warcraft III manual, pg. 8
- ^ Warcraft II: Tides of Darkness manual, Mage Spells
- ^ Aylott, Christopher; Zach Bush, Jeff Grubb, Luke Johnson, Seth Johnson, Mur Lafferty, Greg Netcher. in Mike Johnstone: Dungeons & Dragons Warcraft The Roleplaying Game: 159. ISBN 978-1588460714.
- ^ Johnstone, Mike; Rob Baxter, Bob Fitch, Luke Johnson, Seth Johnson, Mur Lafferty, Andrew Rowe. in Ellen P. Kiley: World of Warcraft: The Roleplaying Game: 265, 282, 283. ISBN 978-1588467812.