Hello there! We are conducting a survey to better understand the user experience in making a first edit. If you have ever made an edit on Gamepedia, please fill out the survey. Thank you!
Blizzard Battle.net desktop app
The Blizzard Battle.net desktop app is a launcher application for Battle.net 2.0 games, including World of Warcraft, which replaced the Blizzard Launcher. An initial version was released in August 2013. The application unifies the login procedure for all supported games, essentially removing the need to re-enter account, password, and authenticator information when logging into a game, and is capable of displaying recent news, patch notes, and promotions relevant to each title. The app also has a chat functionality, which was enabled on 3 April 2014. There are plans to add support for the original Blizzard games. On 23 March 2017, version 1.8.0 was released that included Blizzard's plan to transition from the Battle.net brand to a new name of this application which is Blizzard Desktop app. On 14 August 2017, Blizzard reversed the removal of the "Battle.net" moniker.
The Blizzard Battle.net desktop app has the feature for Voice Chat, Channel (or group) Chat and even Streaming Games to Facebook. The open beta for the application started on October 5, 2017 and release of 1.9.1 on October 19, 2017, introduced new features such as Player Profiles and Avatars, to appear offline, the Social Tab and Groups, gifting, and the shop update.
The following games are available from the app:
- World of Warcraft
- World of Warcraft: Classic (2019)
- Warcraft III: Reforged (2018)
- Diablo III
- StarCraft II
- Heroes of the Storm
- Overwatch (2016)
- StarCraft: Remastered (2017)
- Destiny 2 (2017)
- Call of Duty: Black Ops 4 (2018)
- Call of Duty: Modern Warfare (2019)
- Among the 2017 April Fools were a joke about bringing back a classic "Classic Battle.net® Theme" to the desktop app, with several jokes about it requiring "MS-DOS 5.0 or higher or Windows(R) 95/98" and being compatible with pagers.
- Often called Blizzard Launcher from fans, not to be confused with the deprecated Blizzard Launcher.
- The launcher was renamed twice, originally Battle.net desktop app, then Blizzard desktop app and now Blizzard Battle.net desktop app.
- The launcher has also been referred to as Blizzard Battle.net App.
- ^ Olivia Grace 2014-04-03. If you can't see the chat option, restart your desktop app..
- ^ Boubouille 2014-04-03. Warlords of Draenor™ Alpha Testing Begins, Battle.Net Chat Live. MMO-Champion.
- ^ Vexis 2014-07-09. Diablo 2, Starcraft, etc.... Battle.net.
- ^ Blizzard Battle.net Update (2017-08-14).
- ^ Introducing Blizzard Streaming to Facebook. Blizzard Entertainment (2016-08-26).
- ^ Psione 2017-10-05. New Feature Now Live – Player Profiles & Avatars. Blizzard Entertainment. Retrieved on 2017-10-23.
- ^ Psione 2017-10-05. New Feature Now Live - Appear Offline. Blizzard Entertainment. Retrieved on 2017-10-23.
- ^ Psione 2017-10-05. New Feature Now Live - Social Tab & Groups. Blizzard Entertainment. Retrieved on 2017-10-23.
- ^ Dylon Kempkes 2017-10-23. New Feature Now Live – Gifting. Blizzard Entertainment. Retrieved on 2017-10-23.
- ^ Dylon Kempkes 2017-10-12. New Feature Now Live – Shop Update. Blizzard Entertainment. Retrieved on 2017-10-23.