|This article concerns content exclusive to Battle for Azeroth and is subject to change at any time as development progresses.
This article should only contain officially released content, such as beta and press release content. See Wowpedia's policy on posting unreleased content.
Boralus (pronounced "bohr-AH-luhs") is the capital of the island city-state of Kul Tiras. It is located on the mouth of a river or strait running through Tiragarde Sound. Boralus is a safe port of call in unsafe waters. The outer wall hosts a marketplace that is second to none. Merchants from all over Azeroth dock here to trade their goods. For most visitors, the market is all they ever see of Boralus. Beyond the Great Gate lies the city proper, and very few outsiders are allowed inside.
In the RPG
Boralus, Kul Tiras’ capital, lies on the island’s west coast. The city's population has dwindled since Jaina's and Daelin's exodus, and many houses and surrounding farms lie empty. Currently the city's population stands at four-thousand heads. The people have drawn in away from the fringes and toward the coast; one can wander for a short while through the abandoned residential districts and market places in the city's east side. An ideal place for a secret society or hidden cabal, the town was eerily quiet.
Still, Boralus is a friendly enough harbor, though almost all its citizens carry long knives to "gut the murlocs and naga". Kul Tiras's diminished fleet patrols the waterways leading to the harbor, so merchants from Southshore, Menethil Harbor and (rarely) Kalimdor make Boralus a regular stop.
Notes & trivia
- In the StarCraft universe, Boralis is the name of the capital city of the planet Braxis.
- Before the geography of the island was retroactively changed in Battle for Azeroth, Kul Tiras was the name of the capital and not Boralus. The name Boralus existed in the non-canonical RPG to refer to the capital of Kul Tiras however.
- In previous lore, Kul Tiras was a city-state, like the other human kingdoms. In Battle for Azeroth, it is a kingdom with Boralus as its capital, like in the RPG.
- It could be speculated that since its establishment up to the Third War or its aftermath, Kul Tiras was a city-state, and changed afterwards, becoming the capital city of Boralus.
- The dot on the Warcraft II map labeled as "Kul Tiras" may be the current-day Boralus. Both are on the southeast parts of the island. Chronicle Volume 1 moved the dot to a central location.
Concept art of the Great Gate in Boralus' harbor.
Kul Tiras during the Invasion of Draenor.
Kul Tiras' position in World of Warcraft: Chronicle Volume 1
Retcon of Kul Tiras' position in World of Warcraft: Chronicle Volume 3
- ^ BlizzCon 2017, World of Warcraft | What's New
- ^ Jaina: Reunion, pg. 6
- ^ BlizzCon 2017, Alex Afrasiabi: "Within Tiragarde we will find the capital city of Kul Tiras, Boralus. This will also be the Alliance main base of operations..."
- ^ Battle for Azeroth Build 25976 Broadcast Text (Spoilers) - Jaina's Story. Wowhead (2018-02-07).
- ^ Quest:A Grizzly End
- ^ Lands of Conflict, 102
- ^ File:Chronicle Map of Arathor's City-States.jpg
- ^ Lands of Conflict
- ^ Arthas: Rise of the Lich King, chapter 6: Her father, Admiral Daelin Proudmoore, ruled the city-state of Kul Tiras...
- ^ World of Warcraft: Chronicle Volume 1