|This article is a lore stub. You can help expand it by editing it.
|This article is a location stub. You can help expand it by editing it.
Eastern Tiragarde Sound
Boralus (pronounced "bohr-AH-luhs") is the capital and largest city of the island kingdom of Kul Tiras. It is located on a large strait within the central region of Tiragarde Sound. Boralus serves as the seat of House Proudmoore, and as a center of trade and military power for the entire nation.
Standing as one of the largest ports on Azeroth, the city possesses its own unique personality. A safe port of call in unsafe waters, Boralus Harbor is, aside from Proudmoore Keep, the most heavily guarded part of the city. Merchants from all over Azeroth dock here to trade their goods. It is usually the only place most visitors ever get to see. Recently, it has been characterized by political squabbling and criminal activity, and has become a focus of the Blood War and an important territory for the Alliance.
Boralus is located on a cluster of small islands in the eastern part of Tiragarde Sound, and it is a city beholden to the sea. Roughhewn wooden planks line intertwining walkways, terraces, and stairs. Sea-weathered rooftops and awnings adorn the buildings, while amber-lit windows and walkway lanterns lend honeyed tones to the atmosphere. Stone thoroughfares and hanging colorful nautical flags strike a contrast to the sea-worn brick-and-wood construction, creating a sense of warmth despite the chill of the surrounding sea. The sounds of Tiragarde gulls can be heard crying overhead.
Iron-reinforced locks in the center of Boralus Harbor bar the way from the sea into the inner channels at the heart of the city, while cannons on either side serve as an additional deterrent to vessels approaching with ill intent. Great galleons make their berth in the harbor.
Within the harbor's Tradewinds Market, visitors will find everything they need for an extended stay in Boralus. Merchants from all over Azeroth are drawn here to hawk their wares, traveling well-establishing trade routes between here, the town of Hatherford, and the fertile lands of Stormsong Valley.
Maps and subregions
- Will Melborne <Ferry Master>
- Grand Admiral Jes-Tereth <Wind's Redemption>
- Kate Banks <Dockmaster>
- Joan Weber <Flight Master>
- Jessica Clarke <Flight Master>
- Nicolas Araujo <Flight Master>
- Wesley Rockhold <Innkeeper>
- Warpweaver Ezil <Transmogrifier>
- Razzi the Shaper <Azerite Reforger>
- Leila Stafford <Stable master>
- Stormwind City, Eastern Kingdoms (The Relentless)
- Xibala, Zuldazar, Zandalar (Wind's Redemption, requires Zuldazar foothold)
- Fort Victory, Nazmir, Zandalar (Wind's Redemption, requires Nazmir foothold)
- Shatterstone Harbor, Vol'dun, Zandalar (Wind's Redemption, requires Vol'dun foothold)
In the RPG
Boralus, Kul Tiras' capital, lies on the island's west coast. The city's population has dwindled since Jaina's and Daelin Proudmoore's exodus, and many houses and surrounding farms lie empty. Currently the city's population stands at four-thousand heads. The people have drawn in away from the fringes and toward the coast; one can wander for a while through the abandoned residential districts and market places in the city's east side. An ideal place for a secret society or hidden cabal as the town is eerily quiet.
Still, Boralus is a friendly enough harbor, though almost all its citizens carry long knives to "gut the murlocs and naga". Kul Tiras's diminished fleet patrols the waterways leading to the harbor, so merchants from Southshore, Menethil Harbor and (rarely) Kalimdor make Boralus a regular stop.
Notes and trivia
- Kennings Lodge in Tiragarde Sound is the largest supplier of furs and leather to Boralus.
- A group of gnomes lived in the city. However, some time ago they all went missing. Their abandoned machinery still inhabits the Abandoned Junkheap in Tiragarde Sound.
- Boralus is the only human capital to not share a name with its nation (e.g. Stormwind, Gilneas).
- The denonym for something from Boralus is "Boralan".
- Despite having a capital with a different name than the nation, Kul Tiras is still sometimes described as a city-state.
- Before the geography of the island was retroactively changed in Battle for Azeroth, Kul Tiras was the name of the capital and not Boralus. The name Boralus only existed in the non-canonical RPG to refer to the capital of Kul Tiras.
- In the StarCraft universe, Boralis is the name of the capital city of the planet Braxis.
Kul Tiras' position in World of Warcraft: Chronicle Volume 1.
Retcon of Kul Tiras' position in World of Warcraft: Chronicle Volume 3.
- ^ 2018-08-01, Battle for Azeroth: Tiragarde Sound Visitor's Guide. Blizzard Entertainment, retrieved on 2018-08-17
- ^ a b Lands of Conflict, pg. 102
- ^ Byron & Bros. Boralan B.B.Q.
- ^ Jaina: Reunion, pg. 6
- ^ Arthas: Rise of the Lich King, chapter 6: Her father, Admiral Daelin Proudmoore, ruled the city-state of Kul Tiras...
- ^ World of Warcraft: Chronicle Volume 1
- ^ File:Chronicle Map of Arathor's City-States.jpg