Loa of Death
Bwonsamdi (pronounced "BWAWN-sawmb-dee") is a powerful loa that controls the spirits of the dead. His face is described as looking like a rush'kah mask. Bwonsamdi's temple is the Necropolis in Nazmir on Zandalar. The spirits of all trolls on Zandalar go to him upon death. Bwonsamdi grows more powerful the more souls are in his care.
After someone undergoes the rite of binding, a ritual "as old as the world itself", the soul of anything they kill goes to Bwonsamdi.
Zalazane's FallThis section concerns content exclusive to Wrath of the Lich King.
Before driven away from the Echo Isles by and his hexed trolls, the Darkspear tribe once worshipped the great spirit. During the Liberation of the Echo Isles, tries to recruit Bwonsamdi to his side for the battle against . After Vol'jin and his fellow Horde warriors prove themselves worthy, Bwonsamdi agrees to help them against Zalazane.
Vol'jin: Shadows of the HordeThis section concerns content exclusive to the Warcraft novels or short stories.
After Garrosh Hellscream's assassins crippled , the troll found that his shadow hunter powers were being withheld by the loa. In his dreams, Bwonsamdi contacted Vol'jin and told him that his injuries, self doubt, and conflicting loyalty toward the Horde has made the loa forsake him. Bwonsamdi showed him various visions, including a future of Vol'jin using the Horde to destroy the Alliance, and turning the Horde into an empire that would rival even the ancient troll civilizations. The Death Loa wished Vol'jin would use his influence to create as much strife and war as possible, for that would mean more souls would be sent to the other side on his behalf. Vol'jin refused to go down the path of the Zandalari conquerors, believing it was not the Darkspear 'way'. Vol'jin eventually proved his conviction and reaffirmed his identity, regaining both Bwonsamdi's respect and his powers.
Bwonsambi received the souls Vol'jin sent from the battles between the Shado-Pan and the Thunder King's forces with great satisfaction. At the end of the war, Vol'jin's companion was near death. Vol'jin pleaded with Bwonsamdi to spare Tyrathan. The loa complied, knowing he would have his soul now or later, it did not matter.
Battle for AzerothThis section concerns content exclusive to Battle for Azeroth.
|Location||Level range||Health range|
|82 - 83||8,000,000|
- Vol'jin kneels at the skull pile and begins a chant.
- Bwonsamdi appears.
- Bwonsamdi yells: WHO BE STIRRIN'UP MY BONES? Dem's Bwonsamdi's charges, and not ta be touched!
- Vol'jin yells: I be Vol'jin, Son of Sen'jin, here ta ask your aid, o great Bwonsamdi.
- Bwonsamdi yells: I know who ya are, shadow hunter. An' I know what ya WANT. But what makes you tink I'm gonna help YOU? Ain't a wise ting, callin' me from the Other Side...
- Vol'jin yells: I ain't askin' for me alone, Great Spirit, but on behalf of da Darkspear Tribe... on behalf of me PEOPLE.
- Bwonsamdi yells: Darkspear... it been a long time since I heard de drums... since I drank de ritual offerings. I be watchin' over your dead, Vol'jin, and for NOTHIN'. Why have de Darkspear forsaken Bwonsamdi, eh?
- Vol'jin yells: We were driven away, Great Spirit. Hexmaster Zalazane took de Isles from us... drove us mad, made us fight one another. De only trolls left in de Echo Isles are his mindless voodoo slaves.
- Bwonsamdi yells: Zalazane...
- Vol'jin yells: Aid us, Bwonsamdi! Help us regain our home! Return de Darkspear to de Isles and hear your drums again! Drink your ritual offerings once more! Dis, as de Son of Sen'jin, I swear.
- Bwonsamdi yells: Hrmmm. Time ta see how bad ya want dis, shadow hunter. Time ta see if you be WORTHY.
- A battle errupts and the party emerges victorious.
- Bwonsamdi yells: Ya tink ya got what it takes ta face ME? Give up, shadow hunter!
- Bwonsamdi enters the fray.
- Bwonsamdi yells: ENOUGH! You got some BIG mojo, Vol'jin. maybe you worth helpin' after all...
- Vol'jin yells: Not me, Great Spirit. Me TRIBE.
- Bwonsamdi says: Go to de old village, across de water. Take it back. I'll help ya den.
- The party moves to the main isle. A battle errupts, Jun'do the Traitor is finally killed.
- Bwonsamdi yells: Spirits of de Darkspear... ARISE! Take up de ancient masks, take up de bloody spears... you be followin' VOL'JIN, now!
- Bwonsamdi yells: Now GO! Use me boon wisely.
- Zalazane yells: No matter! I can't be touched. No living ting can make its way trough dis barrier! Da Echo Isles be Zalazane's ta rule, shadow hunter! Now, and FOREVER!
- Bwonsamdi yells: BWAH HAH HAH HAH HAH!
- Zalazane yells: Who... who dat be?
- Bwonsamdi yells: ZALAZANE. What you tikin' dat which be mine? De Darkspear dead are MY domain, sorcerer... and now you gonna be one of dem!
- Zalazane's shield is dispelled.
- Zalazane yells: No! No... NOOO!
- Zalazane explodes.
- Vol'jin says: A fittin' end for so foul a troll. Bwonsamdi; you have my tanks, and dat of all de Darkspear. We will continue to honor you, as is proper.
- Bwonsamdi says: It'll be good to hear de Darkspear drums once more. You take care now, Son of Sen'jin. Bwonsamdi will be waitin' for ya... on de Other Side...
Notes & trivia
- Despite being the caretaker of deceased trolls, he is willing to put other races into his care. When Vol'jin tried to negotiate to him to spare Tyrathan Khort, he told him it is not Vol'jin's authority to decide who he will take and who does not. It is likely that he took some deceased pandaren and mogu to his care during the Shado-Pan Monastery battle.
- Bwonsamdi sees undead as abominations and cannot stand their "unbearable taint" in his temple. Despite this, he himself raised undead to fight Zalazane.
- Bwonsamdi seems to be inspired by the real Haitian Loa Baron Samedi. The RPG mentions another troll Loa inspired by Baron Samedi known as Samedi.
- Bwonsamdi referring to his domain as the "Other Side" may be a reference to Dr. Facilier, the vooodoo-using villain of the Disney movie The Princess and the Frog, who was partnered with spirits known only as the "Friends on the Other Side". Like Bwonsamdi, Facilier's appearance was inspired by Baron Samedi.
- Bwonsamdi was voiced by Dave Fennoy in Wrath of the Lich King.
Bwonsamdi at BlizzCon 2017
- Because of the similarities between the troll loa Samedi and Bwonsamdi, as well as both being based on the same real world loa, it is possible that the two are one and the same, just being addressed by different variations of his name.
- Patch 8.0.0 (NYI): Re-added with model updated.
- Patch 4.0.1 (2010-10-12): Removed.
- Patch 3.3.5 (2010-06-22): Added.
- Event activated September 7/8, 2010.
- Event activated September 7/8, 2010.