- This article is about the capital of the Kingdom of Lordaeron. For the ruins above the Undercity, see Ruins of Lordaeron.
Capital City or simply Lordaeron City and Lordaeron was the capital city of the Kingdom of Lordaeron. The city was built by the Arathor at the height of their power, and became the city-state and capital of a kingdom based in Tirisfal Glades that emerged after the fall of the Arathorian Empire.
Over time, Strom's power waned as it was unable to compete with the economies of the other Arathorian city-states. Its noble families sought to leave for the lush northlands, seeking to find purity and enlightenment. This new city-state was named Lordaeron after the surrounding region. It was also home to deeply religious ascetics who believed in the Light. Many people traveled to the city-state seeking wisdom, enlightenment, or cures for their ailments. As it grew into a proper kingdom, the noble families renamed its heart Capital City.
The city was first an industrial center for the nation, but later, most of the industries were moved east to the new cities of Stratholme and Andorhal, so Lordaeron became solely an administrative center and was largely remodeled as a wonder of human architecture.
The city was the center of the Alliance of Lordaeron during the Second War, and so prospered as the effective capital of humanity. It provided the most soldiers of any kingdom to the Alliance and successfully repelled the invasion of the Orcish Horde. It was here that renegade Alterac soldiers and sailors were interrogated and revealed the treachery of their kingdom. The city itself was later attacked during the war.
Capital City also had its own cathedral, where and met for the first time.
When Prince Arthas killed his father, King Terenas II, the city fell into turmoil. At Arthas' command, and led the undead Scourge into the city and killed its inhabitants. The city soon came to be called the Ruins of Lordaeron.
For a time, the city was overseen by , , and . When Arthas returned from Kalimdor, he found the dreadlords near the Palace Gardens, ousted them and named himself King of Lordaeron. When recalled Arthas to Northrend, Balnazzar took control over the city once again.
The combined forces of Grand Marshal Garithos and defeated Balnazzar, at which point Sylvanas betrayed her allies and took the city for herself. The Undercity, which lies beneath the ruins of the capital, now serves as the capital of the Forsaken. The Forsaken later made the ruins of this city into a major base.
The orcs preparing to attack Capital City from Lordamere Lake during the Second War.
- ^ a b Arthas: Rise of the Lich King
- ^ Tides of Darkness
- ^ Warcraft III manual: Orcish History - Gul'dan and the Betrayal
- ^ Warcraft III map
- ^ "Legacy of the Damned: A New Power in Lordaeron", Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne. Blizzard Entertainment. : "The capital city is heavily defended.".
- ^ Races of World of Warcraft: Undead
- ^ Ultimate Visual Guide, 142.
- ^ Warcraft II map
- ^ Ruins of Lordaeron subzone of Tirisfal Glades in World of Warcraft.
- ^ The Seven Kingdoms
- ^ World of Warcraft: Chronicle Volume 1, 142.
- ^ The Prisoners (WC2 Human)
- ^ The Fall of Lordaeron (WC2 Orc)
- ^ Arthas: Rise of the Lich King