|The subject of this article has been removed from World of Warcraft.
<Most Interesting Questgiver in the World>
Overspark Expedition Camp, Mechagon Island|
Orgrimmar and Stormwind
Captain Placeholder was originally created purely as a temporary measure in the beta version of the game, allowing players to instantly teleport from Menethil Harbor to Auberdine, when some of the boat paths had yet to be implemented. His counterpart, Captain Noteo, would take travelers from Auberdine to Menethil Harbor.
World of Warcraft
This section concerns content related to the original World of Warcraft.
In the mean time, Captain Placeholder quickly became quite popular among players due to his ability to instantly teleport players to the other continent at their own leisure, instead of waiting for the boat to arrive. He was a popular source of jokes for players, so when Blizzard removed him, some "fans" of the NPC petitioned Blizzard to bring him back in some form, and others created a song called the Lament of Captain Placeholder.
This section concerns content related to Cataclysm.
Placeholder, now Cap'n Placeholder, returned in the Cataclysm beta as a level 85 elite, Horde-aligned character with a new model. He could be seen dancing on the Rocketway, and appeared to serve no purpose. He was not present when Cataclysm went live.
- Bart Tidewater says: 'Tis a tragedy, boys. The curse of Menethil be on us all.
- Red Jack Flint says: Cap'n, the Virtue hasn't set sail in years. It was just sittin' there.
- Bart Tidewater says: Aye, and a damn fine job she did of it! But not as good as the Admiral.
- Bart Tidewater says: We held our place here as long as we could, but it still wasn't enough.
- Bart Tidewater says: Nobody could hold a place like him, lads. Nobody.
- Red Jack Flint says: We know, cap'n. We know.
This dialog suggests that Placeholder was promoted to admiral, perhaps prior to his appearance on the Rocketway. This was confirmed when he appeared later in Mists of Pandaria beta.
Mists of Pandaria
This section concerns content related to Mists of Pandaria.
Placeholder, now promoted to Adm'rl Placeholder, appeared again in Mists of Pandaria beta as level 95 elite, standing in Orgrimmar and Stormwind City. He transported players to the Valley of the Four Winds, while Jade Forest was disabled because of a major revamp.
- Oh, ho! Oh ho ho.
- Yo ho ho, even.
- I just come back from the land of Pandaria, with its rolling hills and harsh mountains, and the strangest rum I ever tasted. I crashed me ship into the Jade Forest and me cargo made the land uninhabitable, but in the meantime I can take ye to the Valley of the Four Winds, lickey-split.
- Do yeh trust me, <class>?
- Yes, teleport me!
This section concerns content related to Legion.
A different Captain Placeholder, a ghostly night elf hovering above the ground, was seen at the Lunar Crucible in Moon Guard Stronghold before patch 7.1.0. Based on some non-English localizations of the game, it seems his name was supposed to be Latosius Silversong, but the developers forgot to change it in the English version.
- Greetings. I am here to test your strength.
Battle for Azeroth
This section concerns content related to Battle for Azeroth.
Yarrrr, yeh don't want none of what I be dealin', <missy/??>.
Begone wit' yeh!
Patches and hotfixes
- Hotfix (2005-04-22): Removed.
- Hotfix (2005-01-21): Added.
|Azshara||MoP||Suramar||Mechagon Island||BfA 2|
- Video of the Lament of Captain Placeholder tribute song, recorded by Eledainn in 2005, released on Youtube in July 2007.
- Machinima music video of Lament of Captain Placeholder, produced and re-recorded by Cranius released on YouTube in January 2009.