Hello there! We are conducting a survey to better understand the user experience in making a first edit. If you have ever made an edit on Gamepedia, please fill out the survey. Thank you!
Cauterize is a passive level 52 Fire mage ability. Cauterize allows a mage to survive a killing attack once every 5 minutes, however you will take damage over the next 6 seconds. Using will remove the DoT.
As this talent allows a mage to survive a killing blow, it lets the mage ignore many game mechanics such as Algalon's Big Bang or Sindragosa's bombs once every minute. This can allow the mage to stay out while other classes are required to use an encounter specific survival mechanism. It is also highly recommended for PvP as it acts as an extra life for mages.
Cauterize can only absorb up to twice the mage's maximum health.
Patches and hotfixes
- Patch 7.1.5 (2017-01-10):
- No longer a Talent, and now only available to Fire Mages.
- Cooldown increased to 5 minutes (was 2 minutes). This cooldown now resets on death.
- Now available at level 52.
- Patch 7.0.3 (2016-07-19): Now available at level 30 (was 60). Effects of have been integrated.
- Patch 6.0.2 (2014-10-14): Now brings the Mage up to 35% of their maximum health (down from 50%), and burns for 28% over 6 seconds (down from 40%).
- Patch 5.2.0 (2013-03-05): The cooldown will now properly reset upon entering an Arena.
- Hotfix (2012-09-14): "Cauterize can now only absorb up to twice the mages's maximum health."
- Patch 5.0.4 (2012-08-28): Now available to all specializations as a talent. Brings the Mage up to 50% of their maximum health (up from 40%), and burns for 40% over 6 seconds (down from 48%). Cooldown increased to 2 minutes, up from 1 minute.
- Patch 4.0.1 (2010-10-12): Added.