|Affiliation(s)||Independent, Order of the Broken Temple|
|Former affiliation(s)||Darkspear Rebellion|
|Occupation||Wandering Brewmaster, Champion of the Broken Temple, Horde Champion|
Chon Po (brother), Xiu Li (sister-in-law), Shisai (nephew), Li Li (niece), Mab, Liao, Auntie (ancestors)|
Gao, Evie, Han, Big Dan, Mama (distant relatives)
|Companion(s)||, , (formerly); Tonsa, Chirps, Brewly (pets)|
- "To ask why we fight... ... is to ask why the leaves fall. It is in their nature. Perhaps, there is a better question.
- Why do we fight? To protect Home, and Family... To preserve Balance, and bring Harmony.
- For my kind, the true question is: What is worth fighting for?"
Chen Stormstout is a legendary pandaren brewmaster from the Wandering Isle who left his home to journey the lands, searching for exotic ingredients for his ever-evolving concoctions. A skilled brewer and very powerful monk, Chen enjoys taking life easy as he travels from place to place. He truly made a name for himself when he joined and during The Founding of Durotar, helping the new nation against Admiral Proudmoore. Chen continued his travels while staying mostly out of major affairs for several years until Pandaria was revealed to the rest of the world. With his niece Li Li, he joined the Horde and Alliance in exploring the rediscovered continent. Chen serves as a major character during Pandaria's storyline and the subsequent Darkspear Rebellion.
- 1 Biography
- 1.1 Early life
- 1.2 The Brewfest
- 1.3 The Founding of Durotar
- 1.4 More adventures
- 1.5 World of Warcraft
- 1.6 Li Li's Travel Journal (Part 1-4)
- 1.7 Pearl of Pandaria
- 1.8 Quest for Pandaria
- 1.9 Li Li's Travel Journal (Part 5-11)
- 1.10 Mists of Pandaria
- 1.11 Landfall
- 1.12 Shadows of the Horde
- 1.13 Escalation
- 1.14 Timeless Isle
- 1.15 Legion
- 1.16 Spring Balloon Festival
- 2 Locations
- 3 Quests
- 4 Quotes
- 4.1 Mists of Pandaria cinematic
- 4.2 Valley of the Four Winds
- 4.3 Wanderer's Festival
- 4.4 Battlefield: Barrens
- 4.5 Timeless Isle
- 4.6 Legion
- 4.7 Other
- 4.8 Heroes of the Storm trailer
- 5 Relatives
- 6 Notes & trivia
- 7 Gallery
- 8 Videos
- 9 Patch changes
- 10 See also
- 11 References
- 12 External links
Chen Stormstout was born and raised alongside his brother, , on the Wandering Isle, a massive landmass on the back of the giant turtle . They belong to the Wandering Isle branch of the Stormstout family, of which the main branch remained in the ancestral homeland of Pandaria. On the Wandering Isle, he developed his superior fighting skills and the desire to explore and discover new lands (and new ingredients for his legendary brews) like the traveling pandaren who left Pandaria thousands of years past. Chen often visited the Wood of Staves to get inspiration. The brothers would also be told about how their ancestors and her son left Pandaria for the turtle.
During his days training as a fighter, Chen was close friends with . The two both knew that some day they would challenge each other to decide who would be the master of the Wandering Isle's martial arts school, taking the position of "Geomaster". However, over time Chen grew a sense of wanderlust and would often laze about daydreaming. Bo attempted to tell him that all they would need was at their home. They had an argument, and on the day of their challenge Chen did not appear - he had left the island, leaving behind his friends and family. Chon Po felt as if he'd been abandoned, as leaving the island caused Chen to miss his brother's wedding, as well as other important events.
The BrewfestThis section concerns content exclusive to the World of Warcraft comics.
At some point before traveling to Durotar, Chen found his way to Dun Morogh and the famous , challenging the dwarf to a drinking contest to decide who was the better brewer. In the end, when the two were nearly passed out, Chen declared Grimbooze to be superior. However, Grimbooze liked Chen's beer more. After a brief and lighthearted argument, the two decided to hold a contest in Dun Morogh for all dwarves to taste their drinks and decide. whined his way into getting a position in the contest as well. In the end, Chen and Grimbooze were neck-in-neck where Coren only had two votes, one from himself and one from Chen out of pity. The Dark Iron attacked then in anger, and Chen fought him off. Grimbooze's brew was declared the victor by a single vote. This contest Chen helped to establish was the origin of Brewfest. When Chen traveled onward, he left behind his Jug of a Thousand Cups with Grimbooze.
The Founding of DurotarThis section concerns content exclusive to Warcraft III: Reign of Chaos or its expansion The Frozen Throne.
Chen's journeys eventually brought him to the land of Durotar, and his latest brew had a plethora of strange ingredients that he feared would be too hard to acquire. He almost lost hope for his recipe when he was met by the travelling Beastmaster. Chen asked Rexxar to retrieve the ingredients for his brew - a barrel of Thunderwater, the egg of a thunder phoenix, and a sprig of thunderbloom.
Chen was overjoyed when Rexxar returned with the ingredients, and then mixed his special brew and offered some to Rexxar, who nearly toppled over from the shock of the volatile beverage! Then asked if Chen was trying to kill him, probably in the rhetorical sense but possibly not.
Chen surmised that he would have to further examine the recipe, having completed one phase of his journey, Chen decided to pause his brewing and join Rexxar's adventure, so that he might better appreciate this beautiful, rugged land he had found himself in.
Chen and company went on a secret mission to Theramore Island to help the Horde find out why the humans were attacking them. They met with Jaina Proudmoore, who decided to help them out, after seeing what her father had done. Chen helped Rexxar to defend and Durotar from Kul Tiras incursions. When the Horde was prepared they launched an attack that ended with the death of Grand Admiral Proudmoore.
After the battle Chen spent some time in Durotar teaching the brewmaster ways to the mentor of before travelling on. No one knows where he left afterwards, but several of his empty kegs have been found scattered throughout the Barrens. Like the rest of his people, he maintained his independence, joining neither the Horde nor the Alliance.
More adventuresThis section concerns content exclusive to the World of Warcraft comics. This section concerns content exclusive to the Warcraft novels or short stories.
Some time later, Chen was on a boat departing from Stormwind that was attacked by a group of privateers. They found him sleeping below deck, though when attempting to rob him Chen fought them off swiftly. However, what Chen did not see was a small box in his possession being stolen by a gnome in the privateer crew. The box held a slip of paper reading "Thunderbrew", the vote he originally would have cast during the drinking contest before deciding to vote for Coren Direbrew instead.
In Stonetalon Mountains, Chen went off searching for a rare ingredient, indellium hops, for his brews. He came across goblin machines clear-cutting a swath of destruction through the valley forest where the last of the indellium grew. With the help of a Keeper of the Grove, , Chen fought the goblins off but the damage had been done: only two clusters of the hops had survived. Orremin offered a handful of hops in return for saving them, but as it was so rare Chen declined taking it from the valley.
Chen would come across an orc blademaster named , who was looking for great fighters. Chen won the fight, but little did he know how it would come back to haunt him. Humiliated, Rahjak ventured to Outland and drank demon blood, becoming a fel orc so he could have power to win next time.
Once, Chen was held captive by three ogres who argued if he would taste like bear, rabbit, or crow. Chen suggested they each go hunt one of those animals to have the tastes fresh in their minds for when they ate Chen, and he would also brew beer for them. The ogres did so, cooking their meals, and Chen brewed their beer. After a night of eating, drinking, and partying, Chen - as the only sober one in the group - got up and walked away to freedom.
He also participated in a drinking contest with four dwarves at Aerie Peak. He had also explored the land formerly known as southern Swamp of Sorrows, now called Blasted Lands. That indicates that he wandering the land even before the First War.
World of WarcraftThis section concerns content exclusive to World of Warcraft.
Chen's existence is hinted at when Horde players find any of the many scattered around the Barrens. Finding one of these kegs can start a player on the short quest chain (3 quests) from  who also gives a few bits of lore.
I would like to introduce you to a long-time friend of mine: you will find this kindly pandaren monk is a most wonderful traveling companion.
May he lead you to new adventures across the face of Azeroth and beyond!
-- Chen Stormstout
It would be revealed years later that, towards the end of the events of war in Outland, Chen also traveled to Outland. There, he met the draenei, and spent some time there before eventually returning to Azeroth.
Li Li's Travel Journal (Part 1-4)This section concerns content exclusive to the Warcraft novels or short stories.
Pearl of PandariaThis section concerns content exclusive to the World of Warcraft comics.
After following in Chen's tracks, his niece Li Li was kidnapped by and brought to an island where demanded to know where she could find the Pearl of Pandaria. Miraculously, Chen appeared out of nowhere on a just in time to save his old friend Bo from dying to Rahjak's sword. Bo was bleeding heavily from his torso, but Rahjak and Chen dueled, climaxing with Chen's spell against the Blademaster's . Chen was able to steal the orc's sword at just the right moment, throwing it to spear Zhahara through the chest to save Li Li from her. Rahjak attempted to attack Chen from behind, but he was stabbed by Bo.
Bo and Chen greeted each other after many years apart, but Bo was dying and knew it. He asked Chen to take Li Li home to the Wandering Isle, and the two left on Chen's rocket he had come to the island on as his old friend died watching the sunrise. Chen greeted his brother Chon Po and the rest of the Wandering Isle's citizens as he returned home for the first time in years. Li Li asked if someday they would go looking for Pandaria, and Chen decided that for the time being he was just happy to be home.
Quest for PandariaThis section concerns content exclusive to the Warcraft novels or short stories.
Having returned to his homeland for the first time in many years, Chen went about settling into his first permanent home. A small cottage with comfortable furniture, pans hanging over the stove and shelves full of dishes, scrolls and decorations, he was happy and satisfied to begin this, to him, "new adventure." Ever the brewmaster Chen spent his time with experimental brewing projects, even though there isn't a diversity or variety of brewing ingredients on the Wandering Isle.
During dinner with his brother, Chon Po and his children an argument erupted between Chon Po and Li Li over past adventures. When Chen tried to tactfully end the argument, Chon Po stated that if Li Li had not run off, Bo would still be alive, upsetting her. As Chen and Chon Po spoke more on the back porch, Chen realized that Chon Po didn't so much disapprove of Li Li, as he was transferring his frustration about Chen leaving years ago onto her. Li Li would later come to Chen's cottage and expressed her desires for them to go adventuring together. Chen at first refused, saying that his home on the Wandering Isle was more of an adventure to him because he never had a home of his own.
When the long thought dead suddenly reappeared, Chen was among the elders who spoke to him. When Li Li ventured off the island for another adventure with the Pearl of Pandaria, Chen was confronted by Chon Po and informed that Li Li had left a letter. Although he agrees with his brother that he should find Li Li due to her youth, Chen warned him that he would not force her to return against her will. He then prepared to depart as soon as possible in order to catch up with his neice.
Chen found Li Li at Stonefire Tavern, where he learned that she had the Pearl of Pandaria and her vision. Chen then made the decision Li Li in finding Pandaria. where she was startled by her uncle's appearance. She told him about the pearl and the vision.
After Li Li looked through the pearl and saw a Ramshackle wooden jetties and houses were arranged in a U shape around the bay. Chen and Li Li took the Deeprun Tram south to Stormwind City. With the recent events of the world's destruction, Li Li barely knew of but Chen did.
After reaching Booty Bay the two became acquainted with , where she and Li Li bounded over difficulties with their respective fathers. However it didn't long for the pandaren to realize that Catelyn had stolen the Pearl of Pandaria. After confronting Catelyn and her crew a fight broke between the forces before the arrival of the Bloodsail Buccaneers made both parties enter to an alliance against the pirates and . While losing reinforcements would come in the form of Catelyn's father Ansirem Runeweaver, who brought other mages of the Kirin Tor with him.
With the pirates soundly beaten and Koslov fleeing the battlefield, Chen, Li Li, and Catelyn thanked her father for saving them. After mending her relationship with her father, Catelyn returned the pearl to the pandaren. Furthermore as a thanks for aiding them against the Bloodsails Catelyn offered to bring them to Gadgetzan, an offer that the two pandaren accepted.
After landing in Tanaris the pair made their way towards Ramkahen in Uldum. After arriving in the city the pair noticed reading charges against prisoners, survivors of the Neferset tribe, and declaring that sentencing would passed after the High Council had finished discussing it. During this time the two learned about the Curse of Flesh from , who also witnessed the event.
The pair would later overhead pleading for the lives of the Neferset prisoners to be spared. As Menrim departed from the King and High Council Chen quietly commended him for having the courage to advocate mercy towards who wronged the tol'vir. In response Menrim thanked him and then offered to host the pandaren, while they remained in the city. As they dined with Menrim he revealed that he was once belonged to the Neferset tribe told of them how the other Neferset threw their lot in with and in order to remove the Curse of Flesh. He also informed that his own brother, , is one of the prisoners at Ramkahen.
Li Li would later learn that her uncle had visited Bathet in prisoner in order in order to see what could drive somebody to make the choice that the tol'vir did. While talking with Li Li Chen learned that Menrim worked with priests to maintain the titan devices and thus barely saw Bathet. As such Li Li theorized that Bathet came to resent his brother and ultimately joined Deathwing in order to have a place to belong too. Chen was stunned to learn from Li Li that had become resentful and angry over his leaving the Wandering Isle years ago, although he did let it go before he died, and realizes that Chon Po still feels the same way. Hearing this Chen decided to come clean to Menrim about visiting his brother and suggested that he apologize in order to make for any negative fillings Bathet may hold towards him.
Later on the pandaren witnessed the sentencing of the Neferset prisoners, where King Phaoris allowed them the chance to speak in order for the citizens of Ramkahen to understand why King and Council came to their decision on their sentence. Chen was struck by how Bathet regretted nothing and voiced that he was with his true brothers and both pandaren left to find Menrim once the death penalty was announced. However after meeting Menrim exploded on Chen for having the gall to demand that he apologize to someone who should be thanking him for trying to save his life.
After witnessed of the prisoners both Pandaren desired to leave the city, with Li Li wondering why the Pearl would even direct them to the place. However they pair were stopped by Menrim where the tol'vir apologized for exploding at Chen and explained that he tried to apologize to Bathet but his brother just blamed him and that he himself became so angry in turn. As they talked Menrim eventually began weeping why wondering how everything had came to this.
Menrim then thanked the pandaren for trying to help and gave them his family boat, as he wished them luck in finding what they sought. In turn Chen wished him peace and both pandaren later began to write a letter home. After having witnessed what resentment can do even to families, Chen opened with:
Dear Chon Po,
I owe you an apology.
While traveling to Pandaria a storm forced Li Li over the boat and separated her from her uncle. A saddened and worried Chen would soon after be picked up by the Horde. After coming aboard the Warchief's Fist Chen would be recognized by who declared the pandaren a hero of the Horde, and was quick to inform his captain of Chen's exploits during Theramore, all those years ago. As such viewed Chen's presence as a sign from the spirits and informed him of the ships true purpose- that is being on a reconnaissance mission for the upcoming battle against Theramore. An uneasy Chen then preceded to play along as if he agreed with them.
After arrived to serve as a diplomat, with going to the Alliance, the dwarf was made a prisoner at Aldrek's command. Chen would later free Baenan and attempt to escape only to be stopped by Karrig who called Chen a traitor. However his attempt to kill the pair were thwarted by ; Karriq was furious that Talithar had betrayed his duty. Talithar reiterated his proud loyalty to the Horde, though also said that the Horde does not claim all of it. He detonated all the gunpowder ammunition for the ship's cannons in the munitions hold with his fire-based magic, giving Chen and Baenan a chance to flee in the ensuing chaos.
The two quickly headed over to the Elwynn and saw 's body being thrown overboard, the two preceded to aid their families against those attacking them. In the aftermath of the Elwynn sinking into the sea Baenan, Trialin, Lintharel, Atropa, and Nita found themselves moving towards land and Chen and Li Li returning on their quest to reach Pandaria. Which would come to an end when the pandaren finally landed on Pandaria and while Li Li was excited all of their friends could now come with the mists departed, Chen quickly realized that everyone could now come to the continent.
Li Li's Travel Journal (Part 5-11)This section concerns content exclusive to the Warcraft novels or short stories.
After landing in the Jade Forest, the Chen and Li Li wandered through the forest and stumbled upon the saurok who were terrorizing the region around the Serpent's Heart. After arriving to the Temple of the Jade Serpent, Elder Sage Rain-Zhu gave them a tour around the temple's areas for helping to fend off the saurok and returning stolen jade that was being used for 's statue. Before leaving, Li Li gave him the Pearl of Pandaria and she rode on a cloud serpent for a while. For three weeks the two were wandering in the forests before entering the Valley of the Four Winds.
After clearing the mess in the brewery, Gao informed Chen and Li Li about other Stormstouts who had gone to fight the mantid behind the Great Wall. He also showed them the shrine of Mab and Liao in front of the brewery and told them about Stoneplow, the birthplace of Liu Lang. After repelling the mantid invasion, Chen and Gao spent some time brewing new ales and Li Li used it to go to explore Krasarang Wilds where she wanted to find the spot where Liu Lang had set off from atop Shen-zin Su.
While Li Li would have her own adventures, Chen would at some point make the journey to the Serpent's Spine and send to bring Li Li to his location. Upon arriving Li Li discovered that Chen had asked the Shado-pan monk to guide her to him. However en route the duo were attacked by Mantid forcing Li Li to climb down the wall, where she would eventually find the rest of the her uncle and the rest of the Stormstouts.
Mists of PandariaThis section concerns content exclusive to Mists of Pandaria.
Chen Stormstout appears in, and narrates, the opening cinematic of the expansion, in which he interrupts a battle at the Shrine of Fellowship between a shipwrecked orc warrior and a human sea captain whose vessels had annihilated each other off the coast of Pandaria. Using his superior martial prowess he forces them to team up against him, and ultimately makes them realize the beauty of their surroundings, putting an end to the conflict.
- To ask why we fight... ... is to ask why the leaves fall. It is in their nature. Perhaps, there is a better question.
- Why do we fight? To protect Home, and Family... To preserve Balance, and bring Harmony[sic]
- For my kind, the true question is: What is worth fighting for?
When Chen arrived to Pandaria, the Temple of the Jade Serpent was attacked by saurok. Chen, alongside Li Li, arrived to the temple and he helped the local pandaren by driving back enemy saurok's forces, defeating their leader and returning stolen jade. All what he asked in return was a serpent ride for Li Li. He also traded stories, won a drinking contest and a brawl outside the Drunken Hozen at Dawn's Blossom. After these events, they moved on to the Valley of the Four Winds.
Chen is particularly involved in the beginning quests of the Valley of the Four Winds, where he is visiting Pandaria for the first time with his niece, Li Li, his distant family's brewery, Stormstout Brewery as well as the dungeon encompassing the building. Other than exploring Pandaria, Chen's goal appears to be to reestablish contact with the Pandaria Stormstout branch, having been separated when stopped returning to the mainland. As he and Li Li are visiting farms in the valley they met a pandaren called , from whom they learned about the Stormstout Brewery. Chen visits the brewery but found who seems to be jealous of Stormstouts. After having defeated the enemies in the brewery, Chen returned to Li Li and Mudmug and set out to Halfhill, from where the trio and an adventurer created a new ale. After this, Chen declared Mudmug to be his "beer brother" and headed towards the Stormstout Brewery. However, the brewery was filled by alementals and hozen. After clearing the entrance, Chen himself headed into the brewery.
At the very conclusion of the Valley of the Four Winds storyline, the Shado-Pan face the invasion of the Mantid who break through the Serpent's Spine. When all hope seemed lost, it was Chen Stormstout who saved the day. Chen was instrumental in the defense of Stoneplow village. Alongside Mudmug and his niece Li Li, Chen had successfully rallied not only the scattered pandaren population of the Valley of the Four Winds, but also managed to unite, albeit temporarily, a group of Night Elf Sentinel Castaways with a cadre of Tauren Sunwalkers to cooperate and work together to defend Stoneplow Village from the invasion of the Mantid. This marked the first time Alliance and Horde forces had fought together side by side for a common cause since the Battle of Angrathar the Wrathgate.
While having a drink at The Lazy Turnip, Chen was also asked by the adventurer on behalf of to taste her brew. Chen liked it and recommended that Ella could speak with Uncle Gao about joining the Stormstout Brewery. Chen and Li Li are also present during the Wanderer's Festival at Turtle Beach in the Krasarang Wilds after Li Li found its location during one of her adventures.
After hearing that the rest of the Stormstouts on Pandaria had traveled beyond the Serpent's Spine to fight the mantid, Chen went after them. was found sleeping at the Sunset Brewgarden in the Dread Wastes. Chen then found the body of , who was slain by the mantid. Taking her body to a secluded grove by the northern cliffs, Chen had a short funeral for the young girl.
- Chen Stormstout says: They say your name was Evie.
- Chen Stormstout says: They say you were a sweet girl.
- Chen Stormstout says: I never knew you... but you were family.
- Chen Stormstout says: May your journey in the next world be filled with joy and beauty.
- Chen Stormstout says: Farewell, Evie Stormstout.
- Chen Stormstout says: She looked like Li Li.
Chen then finds encased in amber beneath Kor'vess. Assuming him dead within the amber, Chen drags the amber block to the Sunset Brewgarden.
He later finds in a chamber beneath the Heart of Fear being mind controlled by the mantid.
- Mama Stormstout says: I... wah... where? What is going on?
- Chen Stormstout says: You were being mind-controlled by some sort of malevolent ancient insect creature.
- Mama Stormstout says: Oh that. Bah, I've been through worse. And who exactly are you?
- Chen Stormstout says: I am Chen Stormstout. From the Wandering Isle.
- Mama Stormstout says: STORMSTOUT? No. You're foolin'. Really? A Wandering Isle Stormstout, here, on Pandaria! Where's the rest of the family?
- Chen Stormstout says: I'll explain on the way back to the Sapmasters.
Upon returning to the Sunset Brewgarden, the Pandaren brewers use their newest brew made from the sap of the Heart of Fear to melt the amber around Han.
- Han Stormstout says: ...
He's alive! It seems that contrary to what Chen thought, the suspended animation qualities of amber don't just work on mantid. Speak to him:
- <Han is encased in a tomb of amber.>
- <Pour some of the Dreadbrew onto Han's amber, just to see what happens.>
- The amber instantly liquefies and dissolves, releasing Han.
- Han Stormstout yells: AAAAAHHHHH!
- Han Stormstout says: AAAAAHHHHH!
- Han Stormstout says: What happened? Last I remember I was...
- Han Stormstout says: Ugh, what did you pour on me? It's disgusting!
- Han Stormstout says: Gotta calm down now... a little confused... just need to focus.
- Han Stormstout says: W-whoa... what's that thing? Do you want to fight!? Why am I so dizzy? I'm going to... going to...
- He throws up.
- Han Stormstout yells: WHHARRGLBLRRGLBRGL
- Han falls asleep where he stands.
LandfallThis section concerns content exclusive to Mists of Pandaria.
In Binan Village, Chen is seen taking care of after the events of the Dagger in the Dark scenario. He tasks the player with gathering needles to help Vol'jin deal with the poison in his body, and afterwards takes the troll to Shado-pan Monastery to recuperate.
Shadows of the HordeThis section concerns content exclusive to the Warcraft novels or short stories.
After saving Vol'jin and bringing him to the Shado-Pan Monastery, Chen watched his friend heal alongside a human named , who he also brought to the monastery, while helping the Shado-Pan with daily chores, such as sweeping snow off the monastery's steps. During this time he was told that he could not bring anymore people to the monastery by and was able to address Yalia Sagewhisper's concern about Vol'jin and Khort fighting another when at the monastery.
As a result of his presence at the Shado-pan Monastery, he and Yalia grew close with one another to the point that they shared their life stories with another on the way to Zouchin Village. In fact upon reaching the village Chen was able to convince Yalia to reunite with her family and found himself bounding and becoming a instant hit with her family as well. Such joy was not meant to last, as Vol'jin, Khort, and a group of Shado-pan came to defend the village after realizing that the Zandalari were going to attack. Though wanting to stay and defend the village that had become a home for him, Chen understanding that the villagers would need the leadership of a pandaren led them to safety with Yalia and his neice by his side.
After ensuring that villagers would be safe and instructing his neice to stay with them to help protect them, Chen traveled back to monastery where he joined Vol'jin, Khort, and a small group of Shado-pan monks as they traveled to the Vale of Eternal Blossoms in order to prevent the Zandalari from resurrecting , a general of the Thunder King's. However the group ended being captured by the Zandalari, bore witness to the resurrection of Warlord Kao, and were imprisoned by the Zandalari on the Isle of Thunder. However with Vol'jin's help, Khort, Chen, and were able to escape the isle and returned to the Shadow-pan Monastery.
After returning from the Isle of Thunder, Chen joined The Thirty-three in order to defend the monastery from the Zandalari. It was while preparing traps for that enemy that Yalia and Chen admitted their feelings, kissed, and admitted their desire to have cubs with one another. After successfully repealing the Zandalari onslaught Chen and Yalia parted ways with him promising to return that he helped Vol'jin and Yalia promised to wait for him while she helped the Shado-pan.
EscalationThis section concerns content exclusive to Mists of Pandaria.
Chen joins Vol'jin when the Darkspear Chieftain returns to Durotar and begins the Darkspear Rebellion. After reuniting with , Sen'jin Village becomes attacked by Hellscream's Kor'kron forces. As the fighting erupts, Chen and Thrall work together, as Horde adventurers help push back the assault. With the Kor'kron invasion failing Vol'jin then rallies his forces for an attack on Razor Hill. While Thrall journeys to Orgrimmar to find dissidents against Hellscream, Chen decides to aid the Darkspear in taking Razor Hill for the rebellion. After the people of Razor Hill join the rebellion, Chen joins Vol'jin at the Razor Hill Watchtower and directs any adventurer helping the shadow hunter to Pandaria to help an old sage up a mountain.
Timeless IsleThis section concerns content exclusive to Mists of Pandaria.
Chen can be found in the Celestial Court on the Timeless Isle with Li Li.
LegionThis section concerns content exclusive to Legion.
Chen and Li Li were at the Peak of Serenity in Kun-Lai, instructing a group of children, when the monastery was attacked by the Burning Legion. With the aid of a master monk, they fight against the demons and deliver the children to safety. After the Peak is destroyed, Chen returns with the survivors to the Wandering Isle, where he plays a part in the formation of the Order of the Broken Temple.
Chen and Li Li later enter a competition held by to gain . They battle and the Farseer of the Earthen Ring for it. It is revealed that Chen has a rivalry with Rehgar.
Spring Balloon Festival
|This section is a lore stub.|
|Location||Level range||Health range|
|100 - 110||841,308|
|The Exodar||100 - 102||504,785|
|Location||Level range||Health range|
|Valley of the Four Winds||85||4,742,370|
|Stormstout Brewery||86 - 92||6,449,550 - 12,647,760|
- (Changed in Patch 5.4 starting at .)
Mists of Pandaria cinematic
- To ask why we fight... ... is to ask why the leaves fall. It is in their nature. Perhaps, there is a better question.
- Why do we fight? To protect Home, and Family... To preserve Balance, and bring Harmony[sic]
- For my kind, the true question is: What is worth fighting for?
- Is trouble brewing?
- You seem a little parched.
- Hah, he-hey!
- Sit down, have a drink.
- So, got any stories?
- Oh yeah! This stuff'll put hair all over you.
- You know what is better than drinking a beer? Brewing your own beer. And then drinking it. And then... Drinking another beer. And then, punching somebody in the snout! That's what!
- To ask why I drink is to ask why I am fat. It is because I drink. Perhaps there is a better question.
- Why do I drink? To quench my thirst. To lower my inhibitions. To make women appear more attractive.
- For my kind, the true question is: Where is the bathroom?
- May your journey be long.
- Aye, travel well.
- Heh, all right. Until next time.
- Come back with some stories.
Valley of the Four Winds
- It is good to see another explorer! When some people discover a new land, they immediately seek out the fortresses and temples.
- Not me.
- To get the measure of a people, you need to get your feet dirty. Come, walk the land with me! Let us see what these mainland pandaren truly value.
- It is the Wanderer's Way.
- These pandaren farmers are entertaining folk! A very tight-knit community. Everyone knows one another.
- It is very different from the big cities in Kalimdor or the Eastern Kingdoms.
- It looks like our paths have crossed again, <name>. At a pig farm, of all places.
- I enjoy this valley. It almost feels like... home. The green fields, the big sky... I have even heard mention that there's a big brewery down the road. Maybe it is time I settled down once and for all.
- <Chen looks off into the distance for a few long seconds, then shrugs his shoulders.>
- Or maybe not.
- Greetings, <name>. Are you as thirsty as I am?
- My niece Li Li is so impatient to explore Pandaria. But one never learns a new land by rushing headlong from place to place. It is important to talk to everyone you meet, to experience a place until it becomes part of your soul.
- It is the Wanderer's Way!
- Li Li does not understand why I always stop to sample the local brews. But in my experience, you can learn a lot about a people by what they drink!
- Have you tried mainland pandaren ales? Very crisp, very dark. One sip and you know that they are brewed to be savored slowly. It is the drink of a people that are in no hurry, who enjoy time with their friends.
- What do YOU drink, <class>? And what would it tell me about you, hm?
- If you spent enough time here in the valley, perhaps you could make friends with all the locals. Maybe even some day settle down with a farm plot of your own.
- Imagine that - YOU, the world-weary <class>, settling down to manage a farm!
- <Chen closes his eyes and laughs a deep belly-laugh.>
- Embrace the Wanderer's Way! It is not so much a course of action as it is an attitude.
- Every one you meet is a story. Every place you go is an adventure. Every drink you have is the best you've ever tasted.
- This is not such a bad life, is it?
- Why are you always in such a rush, <name>? It is like you dash madly from one stranger in need to another, bent on gaining new experiences.
- Life is not simply a glass you fill up! Stay a while, and enjoy the places you discover!
- My family left mainland Pandaria to explore the world on the back of the Wandering Isle. That was many generations ago.
- But I have learned that there are other Stormstouts, here, on Pandaria! My long-lost family. What are they like? Do they still brew, as I do? Are they adventurers, like you and I?
Outside Stormstout Brewery
- I wouldn't mind settling down in a place like this. Great views, plenty of beer... and lots of stuff to fight.
- You were surrendering? Why? Because these invaders can break down a wall? You have got another wall... and it's made up of the people who call this place HOME.
- Any one of us would lay down our life to protect this land. This land, it belongs to us... It belongs to our ancestors... It belongs to our children.
- And we are not about to let that change.
- Here's a real surprise for you. What do you suppose they're celebrating? And what do you think would be the proper drink to mark the occasion?
- Years ago, I helped put the Horde together on these very sands. My... how times have changed.
- <Name>! So strange to see you here, far from the green forests of Pandaria.
- When I first sailed away from the Wandering Isle, years ago, this ragged shore was one of the first places I visited. Ahh! The air still smells the same!
- <Chen's face falls.>
- So much needless bloodshed. I just don't understand. Has Pandaria taught us nothing?
- There is no greater joy than walking the world, writing your story.
- It is the wanderer's way.
- Your story continues on, friend.
- It is a story worth reading.
- An occasion like this calls for a drink!
- You fight like a true <race>.
- May your brews be strong, and your heart stronger.
- A worthy opponent.
- I am ready.
- I will need a drink after this.
- Killed a mob
- ...and stay down!
- A good fight!
- Let us drink to victory!
- I need a... minute to recover.
- That really... hurts.
- "May your spirit be raised, and always raise your spirits."
- "My people have an ancient proverb: it is wise to let sleeping pandaren lie. This proverb is ancient for a reason."
- "Everyone you meet is a story. Every place you go is an adventure. Every drink you have is the best you've ever tasted. This is not such a bad life, is it?"
- "I am honored to have fought by your side at the Peak of Serenity, <name>. Your leadership will help us greatly in the fight against the Legion. I would like to fight for you, if you would have me as a champion. I believe my skills as a brewer may also be of service to the order."
Heroes of the Storm trailer
- "The most important thing I've learned in all my journeys is... balance. Work and play. Good and bad. Right and wrong. Honor. Tradition. A good brew. And most especially... family. These are things that bring me balance. These are the things I fight for."
- Perhaps Chen's most well-known relative is his niece . Li Li's father Chon Po is Chen's brother.
- The progenitor of the Wandering Isle Stormstouts is , who was brought aboard by his mother Mab at a young age. This was probably during 's fourth visit to Pandaria in the 20th year of his journey. The fact that The Wandering Widow was placed in front of the family brewery indicates that the Stormstouts of the day wanted to ensure that their descendants would always remember that they have family on the Wandering Isle.
- Naturally, all living Stormstouts by blood on Pandaria are distant relatives of Chen.
- A likely relative of Chen is .
- The random Pandaren Brewmaster Masha Storm-Stout may be related to Chen.
Notes & trivia
- Chen Stormstout did not come from the hidden land of Pandaria as he said in Warcraft III, but rather the Wandering Isle. The knowledge that there are native Stormstout on Pandaria means that there are two branches of the Stormstout family, with one branch relocating to , and the main branch remaining behind on Pandaria.
- Chen hates being interrupted when he is knocking on doors.
- He has been addressed as Master Chen or Master Stormstout.
- Chen and Li Li were the first pandaren from the Wandering Isle to reach Pandaria for many generations.
- Chen was originally depicted with green eyes. When Mists of Pandaria and Pearl of Pandaria were in development, Blizzard's artists learned that green eyes are believed to be a sign of demonic corruption among certain Asian cultures. In the interest of being sensitive to those cultures, Chen's eyes were changed to gold.
- Chen Stormstout appears as a neutral ally in the World of Warcraft TCG set Fires of Outland. His card can be used by both Horde and Alliance players.
- Several of Chen's humorous click-on quotes are a play on his narration in the opening cinematic of Mists of Pandaria.
- The model of Chen used in the Mists of Pandaria cinematic is significantly detailed. His head alone has around 33,000 hair follicles. In comparison to the cinematics from Diablo III, all of the individual hair strands from both the Deckard Cain and Leah cinematics characters would fit in the space of an eye socket on cinematic Chen.
- He is featured on the mousepad included with the World of Warcraft: Mists of Pandaria Collector's Edition.
- Chen is voiced by Keone Young in Mists of Pandaria and Legion.
- Chen is a playable character in Heroes of the Storm.
- As a bodyguard in Legion, Chen rides a while mounted on the ground and while flying.
Chen Stormstout in Heroes of the Storm.
Chen Stormstout in the TCG.
Chen celebrating Winter Veil.
Chen Stormstout's action figure.
Chen as a Spirit Wyvern.
Chen on the official BlizzCon 2014 wallpaper.
A statue of Chen at Gamescom 2015.
- Heroes of the Storm
- Mists of Pandaria Opening Cinematic
- Savior of Stoneplow
- Kor'kron Invade Sen'jin Village
- Heroes of the Storm: Chen Trailer
- Patch 7.0.3 (2016-07-19): Added in the Legion version of Temple of Five Dawns.
- Patch 5.0.4 (2012-08-28): Added.
- ^ Ultimate Visual Guide, pg. 126
- ^ Li Li's Travel Journal
- ^ Micky Neilson on Twitter
- ^ "The Founding of Durotar: To Tame a Land", Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne. Blizzard Entertainment. Durotar. .
- ^ "The Founding of Durotar: Old Hatreds", Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne. Blizzard Entertainment. Coastal Base.
- ^ "The Founding of Durotar: A Blaze of Glory", Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne. Blizzard Entertainment.
- ^ Vol'jin: Shadows of the Horde
- ^ Quest for Pandaria
- ^ Spring Balloon Festival Chen Stormstout says: Just over that ridge lies Sholazar Basin. There I met tribes of wolvar and murloc oracles. Such strange creatures!
- ^ Micky Neilson on Twitter
- ^ Pearl of Pandaria
- ^ Quest for Pandaria Part. 1
- ^ Quest for Pandaria Part 2
- ^ Quest for Pandaria Part 3
- ^ Quest for Pandaria Part 4
- ^ Li Li's Travel Journal
- ^ Zarhym
- ^ Shadows of the Horde
- ^ http://sphotos-e.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/s720x720/418484_10151133898114034_327115004_n.jpg
- ^ Pearl of Pandaria
- ^ Ultimate Visual Guide, pg. 158
- ^ Mists of Pandaria Press Tour - Official FAQ. MMO-Champion (2012-03-19). Retrieved on 2012-03-19.
- ^ Shadows of the Horde
- ^ World of Warcraft: Pearl of Pandaria – Blizzplanet Interviews Micky Neilson & Sean Galloway. BlizzPlanet (2012-09-13). Retrieved on 2012-09-13.
- ^ TCG Outlands/192