- "Metzen" redirects here. For the Feast of Winter Veil NPC, see .
Chris Metzen is the former Senior Vice President of Story & Franchise Development at Blizzard Entertainment. He announced his retirement on September 12, 2016, citing a desire to spend more time with his family. Metzen was succeeded by Lydia Bottegoni.
Metzen began his career in Blizzard Entertainment as an artist in 1994, at the age of 19. He began working on Warcraft: Orcs and Humans late in the game's development. Storyline was left to Allen Adham and Ron Millar. In Warcraft II: Tides of Darkness he took a bigger role as the designer of the story, but also made artwork and voice acting. In Warcraft II: Beyond the Dark Portal Blizzard Entertainment outsourced Cyberlore Studios to do the game and Metzen was in charge of storyline consultation and editions. He served as the creative director of Warcraft III: Reign of Chaos.
During the 2000s, Metzen came up with the concept of "strike teams" that were not assigned with any of Blizzard's numerically-designated development teams, in order to provide feedback and keep the company's culture intact.
His style characterized the earlier Warcraft, StarCraft and Diablo series and he eventually became art director. His position in creative development gave him the reins over lore and storylines created for the games of the Blizzard franchises, the foundations of which were laid by previous designers. Metzen later served as co-producer of the 2016 Warcraft film, and wrote the story for both the film's prequel novel Warcraft: Durotan and novelization.
In September 2016 Metzen announced his retirement, at the age of 42, after nearly 23 years at Blizzard. In a special post on all Blizzard forums Metzen shared the story of his entry into the games industry, his experience working at Blizzard, and the importance of friendship in gaming, describing Blizzard as a "tribe" and a "second family". He explained that he chose the word "retire" to reflect that he was not moving onto new projects, but stepping back from all projects, saying it was "time to slow it down" and to focus on "the one thing that matters most to me in all the world—my family", including his newly arrived third child.
The announcement saw a large response on the forums and social media from players and coworkers alike, and was reported across the gaming media and beyond. World of Warcraft Systems Designer Russ Petersen remarked, "One man's contributions to a large project are sometimes overstated. Not so for [Chris Metzen] and Warcraft. It wouldn't be, without him." Metzen later confirmed on Twitter that he would continue to voice .
This section concerns content exclusive to World of Warcraft.
This section concerns content exclusive to The Burning Crusade.
This section concerns content exclusive to Wrath of the Lich King.
This section concerns content exclusive to Cataclysm.
This section concerns content exclusive to Mists of Pandaria.
This section concerns content exclusive to Warlords of Draenor.
This section concerns content exclusive to Legion.
- Warcraft Saga (author)
- Alliance & Horde Compendium, co-author
- Of Blood and Honor, a warcraft novel
- Snow Fight, a children's book
- Manual of Monsters, co-author
- He was also part of "Creative and Rules Design Assistance and Additional Material" staff for the entire Warcraft and World of Warcraft RPG series. As well as Interior Artist for several of the books.
- Metzen also supervises the lore created for the pen & paper RPG, mangas, and novels.
- World of Warcraft: Chronicle Volume 1 (2015)
- Bonds of Brotherhood
- World of Warcraft: Chronicle Volume 2 (2017)
- He has voiced numerous characters in the Warcraft and StarCraft games.
- In World of Warcraft, his responsibility extends into coordinating with artists to create environments that give players a sense of continuity and cohesiveness.
- Metzen has used the alias "Thundergod" in multiple online venues, and also self-styles himself as "The Bourbon Cowboy".
- Metzen's favorite hero in Warcraft lore is .
- In an attempt to calm down the disappointed Horde audience at Blizzcon after it was announced that the Warcraft movie would focus on the Alliance perspective, he said that "His heart lies with the Horde" but "a blockbuster movie its a little rough to try and tell it from the perspective of this green looking dude." . The former line has since been highly exaggerated by the Warcraft fan base.
- His World of Warcraft characters are a human paladin and a Horde druid with an unknown race.
- He cameos in the Warcraft movie as a perfume merchant.
- Chris Metzen is part of Team Alliance on Azeroth Choppers, along with Monte Krol and Terran Gregory.
- The Feast of Winter Veil features a quest to rescue from kidnappers. Doing so rewards players with the ability to transform their mount into a similar-looking reindeer.
- Additionally, there is an officer of the Argent Dawn (and later Crusade), , who bears a strong resemblance to Metzen's avatar on Sons of the Storm.
- In StarCraft II, the pilot of Thor looks very much like Metzen and says "I, AM A THUNDERGOD!" after being clicked several times.
- ^ Blizzard on Social Media. Blizzard Entertainment. Retrieved on 2014-05-20.
- ^ a b c Karune. BlizzCast Episode 2. Retrieved on 2009-12-29.
- ^ Chris Metzen | Linkedin. Retrieved on 2011-10-06.
- ^ Kaivax 2016-09-12. A Message from Chris Metzen. Retrieved on 2016-09-13.
- ^ Blizzard Entertainment Establishes Book-Publishing Label. Business Wire (2016-12-08). Retrieved on 2016-12-09.
- ^ Warcraft: Orcs & Humans Human manual, pg. 35
- ^ a b Phillip Kolar. The Three Lives of Blizzard Entertainment. Polygon. Retrieved on 2014-10-04.
- ^ a b Phillip Kolarpublisher=Polygon. Dear Chris Metzen: Thank you. Retrieved on 2016-09-15.
- ^ a b c Karune. BlizzCast Episode 12. BlizzCast. Blizzard Entertainment. Retrieved on 2009-12-29.
- ^ Warcraft II: Battle.net Edition manual, pg. 94
- ^ 2015-05-27, BlizzCon 2014 – Overwatch Origins Panel Transcript. Blizzplanet, retrieved on 2015-05-31
- ^ http://www.imdb.com/title/tt4332152/fullcredits?ref_=tt_cl_sm#cast
- ^ http://deadline.com/2016/06/warcraft-china-advance-ticket-sales-record-legendary-wanda-furious-7-box-office-preview-1201767728/
- ^ http://venturebeat.com/2016/09/12/blizzard-loses-a-22-year-veteran-as-executive-chris-metzen-retires/
- ^ http://www.polygon.com/2016/9/13/12898806/blizzard-chris-metzen-retires
- ^ http://uk.businessinsider.com/blizzard-senior-vp-chris-metzen-is-retiring-2016-9?r=US&IR=T
- ^ http://uk.ign.com/articles/2016/09/13/blizzards-chris-metzen-retires
- ^ Russ Petersen on Twitter (2016-09-12).
- ^ Chris Metzen on Twitter (2016-09-12).
- ^ a b Chris Metzen. IMDB. Retrieved on 2009-12-29.
- ^ Talking To Himself. Retrieved on 2009-04-14. “Chris Metzen, best known as a story-writer, also voice acts two characters in Warcraft III. These characters, and , happen to get a lot of dialogue in the expansion pack orc campaign.”
- ^ BlizzCon '08 - Day 1 Friday Oct 10. Animesou.com. Retrieved on 2009-12-29. “...although Chris Metzen still retains his role as Thrall...”
- ^ a b c d e Chris Metzen (2009). Blizzcon Panel. BlizzCon 2009. YouTube. Retrieved on 2009-12-29.
- ^ Seth Schiesel 2006-05-06. Interview: Jeff Kaplan on World of Warcraft Expansion. The New York Times. Retrieved on 2009-12-29. “
Q. So is that you talking on the Nefarian class calls?
A. No that's not me. I think that might actually be Chris Metzen.”
- ^ Medievaldragon. Chris Metzen & Micky Neilson Pocket Star Books Lore Q&A Video Interview. BlizzPlanet. Retrieved on 2009-04-14. “I mean Malfurion's always been, personally, my favorite Warcraft hero...”
- ^ http://kotaku.com/#!286074/warcraft-movie-details-revealed-at-blizzcon
- ^ World of Warcraft: Looking for Group
- ^ https://twitter.com/ChrisMetzen/status/229684159151489024
- ^ 2016-06-01, [http://blizzardwatch.com/2016/06/01/behind-scenes-warcraft-movie-chris-metzen/ Behind the scenes of the Warcraft movie with Chris Metzen]. Blizzard Watch, retrieved on 2016-06-03
- ^ Blizzard Entertainment 2014-04-10. Official: Azeroth Choppers.