Emissary of the Bronze Dragonflight,|
Ambassador of the Bronze Dragonflight,
|Race||Bronze dragon (Dragonkin)|
|Affiliation(s)||Timewalkers, Bronze dragonflight, Wyrmrest Accord|
|Occupation||Temporal investigator, Ambassador|
- “Lost time is never found again. Oh, never mind I found it.”
- — Chromie
Chronormu is a female bronze dragon often involved with mortal affairs. As one of the most important members of the bronze dragonflight, she seeks to maintain and restore various timelines of importance in Azeroth's recent history. Chronormu's preferred guise when dealing with mortals is Chromie, a charismatic female gnome.
- 1 Biography
- 2 World of Warcraft Anniversary
- 3 Locations
- 4 Quests
- 5 Chromie friendship reputation
- 6 Quotes
- 7 In Hearthstone
- 8 In Heroes of the Storm
- 9 Notes and trivia
- 10 Gallery
- 11 Videos
- 12 Patch changes
- 13 See also
- 14 References
- 15 External links
Note: As a time-traveling dragon, the order in which events occur for Chronormu is difficult to determine. The material presented below is in the order that the player encounters her for ease of reading.
World of Warcraft
Andorhal was the site of some diabolical experiments by the Scourge. But when they started tampering with time, the bronze dragonflight sent Chronormu to investigate. Chronormu set up a base of operations in the Andorhal inn, creating a time pocket in a single room. There, operating from another time, free of the Scourge's infestation, Chronormu could investigate without contaminating the timeline.
Uncommonly sociable for a bronze dragon, Chronormu took the form of a female gnome named Chromie. The bronze enlisted the aid of adventurers to assist, sending them to root out Temporal Parasites which were interfering with auguration. To maintain the pocket universe, Chromie needed trinkets of time from the ruins of Andorhal. In return for these, Chromie crafted dampeners attuned to Araj, the lich who ruled over the broken city. When activated in his presence, they severely reduced the effectiveness of his spells and played an instrumental role in his downfall.
The more time spent with these mortals, the more sympathetic the bronze agent became with their desperate plight and mourned the losses to the Scourge. When Carlin Redpath, hoping to undo the curse on the soul of his brother, heard about the strange little gnome, he sent his friends to speak with her, equipped with Joseph's wedding ring. Upon receiving the ring, Chromie immediately knew much of Joseph — that he was a great man who had suffered an unspeakable tragedy, and knew it was too late to save him in the present, but not in the past. Sending Carlin's agents into the ruins of Andorhal, they uncovered records detailing the fall of Darrowshire, and the corruption of Joseph Redpath.
To help him, relics from that battle were needed. With Carlin's help, relics belonging to the heroes and villains of Darrowshire were assembled. Also needed were remains of many Scourge who participated in the battle, found by the use of a resonating crystal that could discern which of the Scourge in the Plaguelands had been there. When all these were assembled, they were brought to Chromie, who cast a spell of time upon them and bid Carlin's friends to return to Darrowshire and place the bag of relics in the center of town. Chromie's spell would raise the spirits of The Battle of Darrowshire, and they would reenact a pantomime of that tragic battle. Chromie could only guide the mortals to their paths, not lead the way for them, and so Chromie bid Carlin's friends good luck, and returned to the investigations of Andorhal.
Wrath of the Lich King
Chromie also acts as the bronze dragonflight's ambassador at Wyrmrest Temple as a part of The Wyrmrest Accord. Chromie sends willing adventurers out into the Dragonblight to investigate the origins of the infinite dragonflight at the Bronze Dragonshrine.
Chromie gives two quests to divine the true identity of the leader of the Infinite dragonflight. In the first quest, you are assisted by "Future You". In the second quest, you are assisted by "Past You". Your alternate time-displaced self will make quips about things like how much better/worse your gear is now. "Future You" also warns the player not to drink the punch at a party he/she will be attending soon.
Culling of Stratholme
Chromie has also been spotted a few years in the past, just prior to the Third War, when she greets players when they zone into the Culling of Stratholme. She explains that the infinite dragonflight are trying to hide the evidence Arthas used to decide to purge Stratholme by casting illusions on the plagued grain. She gives players Arcane Disruptors that allow players to identify the plagued grain crates.
In addition, on Heroic mode, she whispers players at the start of the first leg of the instance to rescue the Bronze Dragonflight agent that is being attacked by the Infinite Corruptor. She also gives the group warnings when the timer to complete the rescue mission reaches the five- and one-minute marks.
Chromie appears as one of many well-known NPCs in Mount Hyjal during the quest , aiding in the fight against Ragnaros' forces. Her flight form in Hyjal is that of a bronze whelp.
She later appears in the Well of Eternity instance following the defeat of Mannoroth, she asks if she had missed anything and is awed by Mannoroth being pulled into the Well. When spoken to, she asks "How can I be of aid, stranger?", implying that from her point of view this is the first time Chromie has met any adventurers.
Following the final defeat of Deathwing at the Maelstrom, Chromie now resides in the Alliance capital of Stormwind City with a . She will allow members of the Alliance to witness the events that transpired there if spoken to.
Dawn of the Aspects
Following Deathwing's defeat, Chronormu joined Nozdormu at a meeting of the Wyrmrest Accord. Despite her worry over the stability of the timelines, Nozdormu insisted that protecting history is now a job for the mortal races.
During the trial of Garrosh Hellscream, Chromie works with Tyrande Whisperwind while her companion Kairozdormu works with Baine Bloodhoof. The two of them use an hourglass created by Kairoz, the , to show the court points in history without relying solely on the possibly faulty memories of witnesses. Near the end of the trial, however, Kairoz tinkers with the Vision of Time and Chromie begins to grow suspicious. After confronting him about it, Chromie is locked inside a prison cell and unable to prevent Kairoz from freeing Garrosh and escaping to Draenor thirty-five years in the past.
After Chromie is freed from her prison cell, she gathers up the pieces of the now shattered Vision of Time, destroyed during Kairoz's time travel. After aiding in the fight of several alternate timeline counterparts to heroes of Azeroth, an angry and defeated Chromie explains to the assembled leaders at the trial that a growing faction of discontent within the Bronze dragons believes they should change history to make a better future, though Chromie isn't sure herself what a better future even is now that they can no longer see history with clarity following Deathwing's defeat. Kairoz appears to be a part of this faction.
Warlords of Draenor
Chromie travels to the alternate Draenor to help hunt down Kairoz. She apparently feels guilty she did not see Kairoz's betrayal coming. She helps Khadgar and adventurers follow Kairoz's trail to the Time-Lost Glade in Nagrand, only to find that he has already been slain by Garrosh. Kairoz's spirit, thinking that he is still facing Garrosh, attacks her and her companions in . Chromie attempts to understand Kairoz's actions and he claims that if he were to gain unlimited access to all alternate timelines, he and the Infinite dragonflight could truly achieve infinite power, both for themselves and for the coming battle with the Burning Legion. Kairoz's spirit is defeated and laid to rest. Chromie tells Khadgar she wishes to help mend the damage Kairoz caused.
Chromie appears as a drake in Warlords of Draenor, implying that from her point of view this is after Hyjal (where she is a whelp) but before Culling of Stratholme (where she is a full-grown dragon).
- Main article: The Deaths of Chromie
Chromie called for help from Dalaran to come to Wyrmrest Temple, where she revealed to an adventurer that she would die in the near future (though some time before the end of the Fourth War). In order to figure out the circumstances of her death, she had asked the adventurer for help. It's not that she did not want to die, it's that this wasn't how she was supposed to die. She had seen her death and knew it happened much later than this attack. Meddling with the timeways for personal reasons goes against everything the bronze dragonflight stands for.
The two traveled to Wyrmrest Temple right before her time of death and approached Chromie's future self, but just as they did so the assassination was carried out, and future Chromie died in the magical assault. Chromie and the adventurer thus traveled this time to several minutes before the attack, and asked Kalecgos, Lord Itharius, Alexstrasza, and future Chromie if they had seen anything odd. They each pointed out a particular issue they were encountering in regard to the various dragonshrines across Dragonblight. Before they could set out for the shrines, the attack came and her future self died, again.
Unfortunately for whoever was fixated on Chromie's death, she was "a fairly skilled master of the timeways" with the advantage of trying again and again. As Chromie attempted to travel to four hours before the attack for ample time to investigate, she found something blocking her from accessing that particular moment. An hour before her death was likewise blocked, prompting Chromie to comment that whoever was behind the attack had done their homework. The best she could manage was fifteen minutes before the attack.
Chromie and the adventurer faced Zorathides at the Obsidian Dragonshrine, Talar Icechill at the Ruby Dragonshrine, Thalas Vylethorn at the Emerald Dragonshrine, and the Void Gargantuan at the Azure Dragonshrine, all four of which dropped chronoshards. The chronoshards all led to various points that Chromie had been to in her past or future: Stratholme at the start of the Third War, Andorhal and Mount Hyjal during the Cataclysm, and Zin-Azshari during the War of the Ancients.
In Andorhal, they arrived in the middle of a battle between the Horde and Alliance, with both sides also trying to kill her. The Chromie of that time was trapped in a building due to a cannon aimed directly at her, and so the adventurer and present Chromie took it out, allowing the past Chromie to leave. At Sethria's Roost on Mount Hyjal, they found Chromie's past self nearly dead and fended off attacking fire elementals until she could recover and leave. At the Well of Eternity, demons of the Legion attempted to strike Chromie and the adventurer down as soon as they arrived. The two fought their way to Azshara's Palace and defeated a terrorguard named Grolethax. In Stratholme they arrived shortly before the culling and helped townsfolk out until Prince Arthas arrived and began his attack. At Crusaders' Square they battled Nezar'Azret, who had captured the past Chromie in webbing. She was freed after the battle.
Chromie's dragon form in Legion is a whelp like at Hyjal during Cataclysm, in contrast to a drake in Warlords of Draenor and a full-grown dragon in Wrath of the Lich King.
Battle for Azeroth
Chromie later visited Mechagon Island after the Horde and Alliance arrived on the island and allied with Prince Erazmin and the Rustbolt Resistance. Chromie revealed to adventurers that during her travels to possible futures, she had discovered a place much like Rustbolt, but different. In this other time and place, very little was left alive, everything was machines. She then ordered them to travel to this other place and scan the memory banks of the Clockwork Giants, in order to use their data to ensure that their Rustbolt never becomes like the other place.
Chromie later journeyed to the Chamber of Heart where she joined with Kalecgos, Alexstrasza, Merithra, and Ebyssian in empowering the . It is unknown why it was her instead of Nozdormu; the bronze Aspect's absence is not even mentioned.
World of Warcraft Anniversary
During the , the bronze dragonflight threw a celebration, with Chromie among them and had invited adventurers from across Azeroth and beyond. Acknowledging how adventurers have done so much to save Azeroth, Chromie offered them the chance to relive the exciting bits of their adventure. She also offered them the chance to relive the beginning of the conflict in Alterac Valley between the Horde and Alliance.
|Location||Level range||Health range|
|Culling of Stratholme (instance)||80||17,010|
|Well of Eternity (instance)||85||20,143|
|Vale of Eternal Blossoms||90||2,521,224|
|Nagrand (alternate universe)||100||131,080|
|The Deaths of Chromie||112||20,464,732|
- Andorhal / Eastern Plaguelands
- Culling of Stratholme
- Well of Eternity
- Vale of Eternal Blossoms
- Deaths of Chromie
- Rustbolt, Mechagon
- Warcraft's Anniversary
Chromie friendship reputation
Reputation with Chromie is gained by playing through The Deaths of Chromie, by completing the quests associated with it and killing mobs and bosses. serve as a good source of reputation as well, with some awarding anywhere between 50 to 200 reputation when used or activating the buff, which increases all reputation gained with Chromie (including Sands of Time awards) by 25% for the rest of the scenario. Reputation with Chromie is necessary to unlock the ranks of her talent tree, increasing her power in the scenario and making it easier to complete in one sitting:
|Reputation||Talent 1||Talent 2|
|Whelpling||Time Stop (Deaths of Chromie)||Acceleration|
|Temporal Trainee||Accelerated Aggression||Rapid Recovery|
|Timehopper||Dragon's Determination||Chrono Charisma|
|Chrono-Friend||Insight||Blessing of the Bronze Dragonflight|
|Epoch-Mender||Infinite Velocity||Keepsake Continuum|
Hello there, <name>. I am known as Chronormu, but you may call me Chromie. I am comfortable with such familiarity.
Now - how did I know your name, you ask? I am one of the bronze dragonflight, forever attuned to the ebb and flow of time. You could say that we have met before. To that end, we shall also meet again.
I hope that my choice of visual demeanor does not disturb you: while I might be charged to be a sentry of sorrowful places, I choose not to drown in the sorrow of the locale.
- Wyrmrest Temple
<Name>, good to see you!
Or is this the first time we've met?
- Culling of Stratholme
The Infinites are attempting something unusually subtle for them. They are trying to hide the evidence that will lead to Arthas deciding to cull Stratholme.
Their agents have used illusionary magic on the plagued grain shipments in the nearby countryside to make them appear normal.
I need you to find the hidden grain, and use this Arcane Disruptor on the shipments. Arthas' men are looking for plagued grain, and should find it quickly with the illusion gone.
- Crown Guard Tower
Hello once again, <name>. I sense that the flow of time remains threatened by forces that are quite powerful indeed. Your continued assistance is always welcomed by the bronze dragonflight.
While the past is set in its ways, the future is always changing. The decisions you make in the here and now help guide that change.
- Vale of Eternal Blossoms
- Time can be both beautiful and cruel.
- We meet again!
- Hmm... haven't we done this before?
- Main article: Fugitive Dragon#Completion
- Main article: The Dragon's Tale
- Main article: Tarnished Bronze
- Rustbolt, Mechagon
There's no time like the present to start saving the future!
- Chamber of Heart
I know I'm a little early! ...For once.
Don't you worry, though. There will be more to do soon enough.
- Warcraft's Anniversary gossip
We're about to revisit some epic adventures from the past. Are there any in particular that you'd be excited to see again?
I want to remember adventures from Outland! <Queue my party>
I want to remember adventures from Northrend! <Queue my party>
I want to remember adventures from the Cataclysm! <Queue my party>
- Heroes of the Storm trailer
- "In the beginning..."
- A clip from the World of Warcraft: Cataclysm cinematic trailer players, showing the creation of the Great Divide in the Barrens.
- "Wait a minute, that's not... *sigh* Come on..."
- Chromie rewinds the tape, instead showing a clip from the StarCraft II: Heart of the Swarm opening cinematic.
- "In my most desperate hour... whoops, no no no, way too far!"
- Chromie rewinds the tape once again.
- "The Nexus! The marvelous anomaly to which the bronze dragonflight has sent me AS THEIR CHAMPION! Oh, hello again! Or is this the first time we've met? You might ask me, as a dragon, why I choose to be this size? Meh, it just works for me. I need to keep the very fabric of time and space from unraveling, like..."
- The landscape twists into a nightmarish version of itself, filled with giant candy and enormous thunderstorms in the background, as Stitches rides backwards on a unicorn past the camera.
- "... like that. Everyone knows it's not possible to be in several places at the same time."
- Three different versions of Chromie — her original World of Warcraft model, Timewalker Chromie, and Fel Queen Chromie — appear.
- "But past you, future you and future super creepy you? That's different times in the same place! And that's when we get to the fun!"
- The various version of Chromie all use their abilities together to annihilate an incoming wave of enemy heroes, causing an enormous explosion as Chromie glances mischievously at the camera.
- "Meh, don't worry, that's gonna get nerfed. Let's review."
- Chromie rewinds almost the entire trailer.
- "To all time and space, there's more power even in the smallest things..."
- Chromie roars, briefly revealing her true, draconic form.
- "... than you will ever know."
Chromie was available as an Arena-exclusive legendary card during the limited-time Taverns of Time event in Hearthstone. Her Battlecry effect generated four "Historical Epoch" spell cards, each based on a Caverns of Time instance from World of Warcraft.
In Heroes of the Storm
Notes and trivia
- Chromie apparently has at least eight spare pocketwatches.
- At some point in time, Chromie tossed Dalaran fountain. The coin flavor text reads: "Just once, I wish someone would greet me without making a stupid joke about gnomes or time travel". in the
- Chromie calls Alexstrasza "Allie".
- When the Dragon Aspects met during the Cataclysm at the Wyrmrest Temple, Alexstrasza noticed that Chromie was absent. The bronze drake was described as cheerful and powerful.
- The "chron" in "Chronormu" is derived from the Ancient Greek *chronos* (χρόνος) meaning "time".
- Th suffix "-ormu" is normally typical of the male bronze dragon naming pattern, while female bronze dragon names end in "-ormi". As Chronormu is female, she is an exception to this rule.
- This is briefly joked about in Heroes of the Storm, where upon clicking Chromie enough, she will infer that mortals simply do not understand the intricacies of draconic naming conventions.
- She is one of the NPCs that have a chance to appear as a Master Photobomber when using whilst under the effects of .
- Chromie briefly appears in Smokywood Pastures Presents: A Winter Veil Carol, taking the Forsaken Ebonizer Scrounge to the past.
- Chromie was featured in the World of Warcraft: Classic announcement trailer.
- During the BlizzCon 2018 demo, playtime was limited by a debuff stating: "Chromie is only able to keep you anchored in the past for a limited time. Once exhausted, you will need to wait until she has regained enough energy before attempting to come back."
- Chromie is voiced by Karen Strassman starting with Warlords of Draenor.
- When checking a character's reputation levels on the official World of Warcraft website, Chromie's Friendship ranks are erroneously using a normal reputation scale (from Neutral to Exalted). For example, a Timelord level of friendship, the maximum achievable, is shown on the website as 6100/12000 Honored reputation.
- Patch 6.0.2 (2014-10-14): Received a new, unique voice.
- She previously used the click-on quotes of a normal female gnome.
- She previously used the click-on quotes of a normal female gnome.
- Patch 1.2.0 (2004-12-18): Added.
- ^ Before the Storm, chapter 10: "Chronormu, one of the most important of the time-warding bronze dragons ..."
- ^ Culling of Stratholme
- ^ Dawn of the Aspects
- ^ War Crimes
- ^ Wrathion's appearance in Deaths of Chromie is his younger model instead of his older one
- ^ a b c d
- ^ a b
- ^ Cam Shea 2018-04-04. IGN Reveals a New Mage Legendary from Hearthstone's The Witchwood Expansion. IGN. Retrieved on 2019-04-27.
- ^ Blizzard Entertainment 2016-05-06. In Development – Chromie, Medivh, Widowmaker Nova, and more!. Retrieved on 2016-05-06.
- ^ Thrall: Twilight of the Aspects, chapter 2
- ^ World of Warcraft: The Magazine Volume I Issue II