|Race||Bronze dragon (Dragonkin)|
|Affiliation(s)||Bronze dragonflight, Wyrmrest Accord, Timewalkers|
|Occupation||Temporal investigator, Ambassador|
- "Lost time is never found again. Oh, never mind I found it."
Chronormu is a female bronze dragon often involved with mortal affairs. As a member of the bronze dragonflight, she seeks to maintain and restore various timelines of importance in Azeroth's recent history. Chronormu's preferred guise when dealing with mortals is Chromie, a charismatic female gnome.
- 1 Background
- 2 Locations
- 3 Quests
- 4 Chromie friendship reputation
- 5 Quotes
- 6 Notes & trivia
- 7 Gallery
- 8 Videos
- 9 Patch changes
- 10 See also
- 11 References
- 12 External links
AndorhalThis section concerns content exclusive to World of Warcraft.
(The below section with regards to Andorhal is pre-The Shattering. Since The Shattering, Chromie has moved to Crown Guard Tower in Eastern Plaguelands where she still helps the townsfolk of Darrowshire.)
Andorhal was the site of some diabolical experiments by the Scourge. But when they started tampering with time, the bronze dragonflight sent Chronormu to investigate. Chronormu set up base of operations in the Andorhal inn, creating a time pocket in a single room. There, operating from another time, free of the Scourge's infestation, Chronormu could investigate without contaminating the timeline.
Uncommonly sociable for a bronze dragon, Chronormu took the form of a female gnome named Chromie. The bronze enlisted the aid of adventurers to assist, sending them to root out Temporal Parasites which were interfering with auguration. To maintain the pocket universe, Chromie needed trinkets of time from the ruins of Andorhal. In return for these, Chromie crafted dampeners attuned to Araj, the lich who ruled over the broken city. When activated in his presence, they severely reduced the effectiveness of his spells, and played an instrumental role in his downfall.
The more time spent with these mortals, the more sympathetic the bronze agent became with their desperate plight, and mourned the losses to the Scourge. When , hoping to undo the curse on the soul of his brother, heard about the strange little gnome, he sent his friends to speak with her, equipped with Joseph's wedding ring. Upon receiving the ring, Chromie immediately knew much of Joseph — that he was a great man who had suffered an unspeakable tragedy, and knew it was too late to save him in the present, but not in the past. Sending Carlin's agents into the ruins of Andorhal, they uncovered records detailing the fall of Darrowshire, and the corruption of .
To help him, relics from that battle were needed. With Carlin's help, relics belonging to the heroes and villains of Darrowshire were assembled. Also needed were remains of many Scourge who participated in the battle, found by the use of a resonating crystal that could discern which of the Scourge in the Plaguelands had been there. When all these were assembled, they were brought to Chromie, who cast a spell of time upon them, and bid Carlin's friends to return to Darrowshire and place the bag of relics in the center of town. Chromie's spell would raise the spirits of The Battle of Darrowshire, and they would reenact a pantomime of that tragic battle. Chromie could only guide the mortals to their paths, not lead the way for them, and so Chromie bid Carlin's friends good luck, and returned to the investigations of Andorhal.
Wrath of the Lich KingThis section concerns content exclusive to Wrath of the Lich King.
Chromie also acts as the bronze dragonflight's ambassador at Wyrmrest Temple as a part of The Wyrmrest Accord. Chromie sends willing adventurers out into the Dragonblight to investigate the origins of the infinite dragonflight at the Bronze Dragonshrine.
Chromie gives two quests to divine the true identity of the leader of the Infinite dragonflight. In the first quest, you are assisted by "Future You". In the second quest, you are assisted by "Past You". Your alternate time-displaced self will make equips about things like how much better/worse your gear is now.
Culling of StratholmeThis section concerns content exclusive to Wrath of the Lich King.
Chromie has also been spotted a few years in the past, just prior to the Third War, when she greets players when they zone into the Culling of Stratholme. She explains that the infinite dragonflight are trying to hide the evidence Arthas used to decide to purge Stratholme by casting illusions on the plagued grain. She gives players Arcane Disruptors that allow players to identify the plagued grain crates.
In addition, on Heroic mode, she whispers players at the start of the first leg of the instance to rescue the Bronze Dragonflight agent that is being attacked by the . She also gives the group warnings when the timer to complete the rescue mission reaches the five- and one-minute marks.
Rage of the FirelandsThis section concerns content exclusive to Cataclysm.
Chromie appears as one of many well-known NPCs in Mount Hyjal during the quest , aiding in the fight against Ragnaros' forces. Interestingly, her flight form in Hyjal is that of a bronze whelp. This may imply that the Chromie seen here is from an earlier time than the Chromie usually seen in places like the Culling of Strathlome.
Hour of TwilightThis section concerns content exclusive to Cataclysm.
She later appears in the Well of Eternity instance following the defeat of Mannoroth, she asks if she had missed anything and is awed by Mannoroth being pulled into the Well. When spoken to, she asks "How can I be of aid, stranger?", implying that from her point of view this is the first time Chromie has met any adventurers.
Following the final defeat of at the Maelstrom, Chromie now resides in the Alliance capital of Stormwind City with a . She will allow members of the Alliance to witness the events that transpired there if spoken to.
Dawn of the AspectsThis section concerns content exclusive to the Warcraft novels or short stories.
Following Deathwing's defeat, Chronormu joined Nozdormu at a meeting of the Wyrmrest Accord. Despite her worry over the stability of the timelines, Nozdormu insisted that protecting history is now a job for the mortal races.
Timeless IsleThis section concerns content exclusive to Mists of Pandaria.
War CrimesThis section concerns content exclusive to the Warcraft novels or short stories.
During the trial of , Chromie works with while her companion works with . The two of them use an hourglass created by Kairoz, the , to show the court points in history without relying solely on the possibly faulty memories of witnesses. Near the end of the trial, however, Kairoz tinkers with the Vision of Time and Chromie begins to grow suspicious. After confronting him about it, Chromie is locked inside a prison cell and unable to prevent Kairoz from freeing Garrosh and escaping to Draenor thirty-five years in the past.
After Chromie is freed from her prison cell, she gathers up the pieces of the now shattered Vision of Time, destroyed during Kairoz's time travel. After aiding in the fight of several alternate timeline counterparts to heroes of Azeroth, an angry and defeated Chromie explains to the assembled leaders at the trial that a growing faction of discontent within the Bronze dragons believes they should change history to make a better future, though Chromie isn't sure herself what a better future even is now that they can no longer see history with clarity following Deathwing's defeat. Kairoz appears to be a part of this faction.
Warlords of DraenorThis section concerns content exclusive to Warlords of Draenor.
Chromie travels to the alternate Draenor to help hunt down Kairoz. She apparently feels guilty she did not see Kairoz's betrayal coming. She helps and adventurers follow Kairoz's trail to the Time-Lost Glade in Nagrand, only to find that he has already been slain by Garrosh. Kairoz's spirit, thinking that he is still facing Garrosh, attacks her and her companions in . Chromie attempts to understand Kairoz's actions and he claims that if he were to gain unlimited access to all alternate timelines, he and the Infinite dragonflight could truly achieve infinite power, both for themselves and for the coming battle with the Burning Legion. Kairoz's spirit is defeated and laid to rest. Chromie tells Khadgar she wishes to help mend the damage Kairoz caused.
Chromie appears as a drake in Warlords of Draenor, implying that from her point of view this is after Hyjal (where she is a whelp) but before Culling of Stratholme (where she is a full-grown dragon).
LegionThis section concerns content exclusive to Legion.
- Main article: The Deaths of Chromie
Chromie called for help from Dalaran to come to Wyrmrest Temple, where she revealed to an adventurer that she would die in the near future. In order to figure out the circumstances of her death, she had asked the adventurer for help. It's not that she did not want to die, it's that this wasn't how she was supposed to die. She had seen her death, and knew it happened much later than this attack. Meddling with the timeways for personal reasons goes against everything the bronze dragonflight stands for.
The two traveled to Wyrmrest Temple right before her time of death and approached Chromie's future self, but just as they did so the assassination was carried out, and future Chromie died in the magical assault. Chromie and the adventurer thus traveled this time to several minutes before the attack, and asked , , , and future Chromie if they had seen anything odd. They each pointed out a particular issue they were encountering in regard to the various dragonshrines across Dragonblight. Before they could set out for the shrines, the attack came and her future self died, again.
Unfortunately for whoever was fixated on Chromie's death, she was "a fairly skilled master of the timeways" with the advantage of trying again and again. As Chromie attempted to travel to four hours before the attack for ample time to investigate, she found something blocking her from accessing that particular moment. An hour before her death was likewise blocked, prompting Chromie to comment that whoever was behind the attack had done their homework. The best she could manage was fifteen minutes before the attack.
Chromie and the adventurer faced at the Obsidian Dragonshrine, at the Ruby Dragonshrine, at the Emerald Dragonshrine, and the at the Azure Dragonshrine, all four of which dropped chronoshards. The chronoshards all led to various points that Chromie had been to in her past or future: Stratholme at the start of the Third War, Andorhal and Mount Hyjal during the Cataclysm, and Zin-Azshari during the War of the Ancients.
In Andorhal, they arrived in the middle of a battle between the Horde and Alliance, with both sides also trying to kill her. The Chromie of that time was trapped in a building due to a cannon aimed directly at her, and so the adventurer and present Chromie took it out, allowing the past Chromie to leave. At Sethria's Roost on Mount Hyjal, they found Chromie's past self nearly dead and fended off attacking fire elementals until she could recover and leave. At the Well of Eternity, demons of the Legion attempted to strike Chromie and the adventurer down as soon as they arrived. The two fought their way to Azshara's Palace and defeated a terrorguard named . In Stratholme they arrived shortly before the culling and helped townsfolk out until Prince Arthas arrived and began his attack. At Crusaders' Square they battled , who had captured the past Chromie in webbing. She was freed after the battle.
Chromie's dragon form in Legion is a whelp like at Hyjal during Cataclysm, in contrast to a drake in Warlords of Draenor and a full-grown dragon in Wrath of the Lich King.
|Location||Level range||Health range|
|Culling of Stratholme||80||17,010|
|Well of Eternity||85||20,143|
|Vale of Eternal Blossoms||90||2,521,224|
|Nagrand (alternate universe)||100||131,080|
|The Deaths of Chromie||112||20,464,732|
- Andorhal / Eastern Plaguelands
- Culling of Stratholme
- Well of Eternity
- Vale of Eternal Blossoms
- Deaths of Chromie
Chromie friendship reputation
Reputation with Chromie is gained by playing through The Deaths of Chromie, by completing the quests associated with it and killing mobs and bosses. serve as a good source of reputation as well, with some awarding anywhere between 50 to 200 reputation when used or activating the Favor of the Bronze buff, which increases all reputation gained with Chromie (including Sands of Time awards) by 25% for the rest of the scenario. Reputation with Chromie is necessary to unlock the ranks of her talent tree, increasing her power in the scenario and making it easier to complete in one sitting:
|Reputation||Talent 1||Talent 2|
|Whelpling||Time Stop (Deaths of Chromie)||Acceleration|
|Temporal Trainee||Accelerated Aggression||Rapid Recovery|
|Timehopper||Dragon's Determination||Chrono Charisma|
|Chrono-Friend||Insight||Blessing of the Bronze Dragonflight|
|Epoch-Mender||Infinite Velocity||Keepsake Continuum|
QuotesThis section concerns content exclusive to World of Warcraft.
Hello there, <name>. I am known as Chronormu, but you may call me Chromie. I am comfortable with such familiarity.
Now - how did I know your name, your ask? I am one of the bronze dragonflight, forever attuned to the ebb and flow of time. You could say that we have met before. To that end, we shall also meet again.
I hope that my choice of visual demeanor does not disturb you: while I might be charged to be a sentry of sorrowful places, I choose not to drown in the sorrow of the locale.This section concerns content exclusive to Wrath of the Lich King.
- Wyrmrest Temple
<Name>, good to see you!
Or is this the first time we've met?This section concerns content exclusive to Cataclysm.
- Crown Guard Tower
Hello once again, <name>. I sense that the flow of time remains threatened by forces that are quite powerful indeed. Your continued assistance is always welcomed by the bronze dragonflight.
While the past is set in its ways, the future is always changing. The decisions you make in the here and now help guide that change.This section concerns content exclusive to Mists of Pandaria.
- Vale of Eternal Blossoms
- Time can be both beautiful and cruel.
- We meet again!
- Hmm... haven't we done this before?
- Main article: Quest:Fugitive Dragon#Completion
- Main article: Quest:The Dragon's Tale
- Main article: Quest:Tarnished Bronze
- Heroes of the Storm trailer
- In the beginning...
- A clip from the World of Warcraft: Cataclysm cinematic trailer players, showing the creation of the Great Divide in the Barrens.
- Wait a minute, that's not... *sigh* Come on...
- Chromie rewinds the tape, instead showing a clip from the StarCraft II: Heart of the Swarm opening cinematic.
- In my most desperate hour... whoops, no no no, way too far!
- Chromie rewinds the tape once again.
- The Nexus! The marvelous anomaly to which the bronze dragonflight has sent me AS THEIR CHAMPION! Oh, hello again! Or is this the first time we've met? You might ask me, as a dragon, why I choose to be this size? Meh, it just works for me. I need to keep the very fabric of time and space from unraveling, like...
- The landscape twists into a nightmarish version of itself, filled with giant candy and enormous thunderstorms in the background, as rides backwards on a unicorn past the camera.
- ... like that.
- Everyone knows it's not possible to be in several places at the same time.
- Three different versions of Chromie — her original World of Warcraft model, her Heroes of the Storm Master Skin and her "Fel Queen" skin — appear.
- But past you, future you and future super creepy you? That's different times in the same place! And that's when we get to the fun!
- The various version of Chromie all use their abilities together to annihilate an incoming wave of enemy heroes, causing an enormous explosion as Chromie glances mischievously at the camera.
- Meh, don't worry, that's gonna get nerfed. Let's review.
- Chromie rewinds almost the entire trailer.
- To all time and space, there's more power even in the smallest things...
- Chromie roars, briefly revealing her true, draconic form.
- .. than you will ever know.
Notes & trivia
- Chromie was featured in the World of Warcraft: Classic announcement trailer.
- At some point in time, Chromie tossed Dalaran fountain. The coin flavor text reads: "Just once, I wish someone would greet me without making a stupid joke about gnomes or time travel". in the
- Chromie follows the pattern of giving dragons names that reference their sphere of influence — "chron" is derived from the Ancient Greek "χρόνος," meaning "time". Chronos (not to be confused with Cronus/Kronos) was the god of time in Hellenistic works. Interestingly, Chronormu's nickname is more similar to "χρώμα", ("chroma") which references color.
- Interestingly, "-ormu" is typical of the male bronze dragon, while "-ormi" is typical of the female. As Chronormu is female, she is an exception to this "rule". In Old Norse "-orm/-ormr" means "dragon, serpent".
- She is one of the NPCs that have a chance to appear as a Master Photobomber when using whilst under the effects of .
- Chromie briefly appears in Smokywood Pastures Presents: A Winter Veil Carol.
- Chromie is voiced by Karen Strassman in Warlords of Draenor and Legion.
- Chromie is a playable character in Heroes of the Storm.
- Chromie calls "Allie".
- When checking a character's reputation levels on the official World of Warcraft website, Chromie's Friendship ranks are erroneously using a normal reputation scale (from Neutral to Exalted). For example, a Timelord level of friendship, the maximum achievable, is shown on the website as 6100/12000 Honored reputation.
Chronormu's true form in Stratholme.
Chromie seeing the Well of Eternity from a distance.
Chromie in Heroes of the Storm.
BlizzCon 2016 poster artwork.
World of Warcraft: Classic announcement trailer.
- Heroes of the Storm
- Patch 6.0.2 (2014-10-14): Received a new, unique voice.
- She previously used the click-on quotes of a normal female gnome.
- She previously used the click-on quotes of a normal female gnome.
- Patch 1.2.0 (2004-12-18): Added.