City of Light (quest)
65 (Requires 60)
Talk to Khadgar, who summons one of his servants to take you on a guided tour of Shattrath City, providing you with the background of the Aldor and Scryers factions, ultimately providing you with the quest that requires you to choose one of them.
- City of Light
Do not burden A'dal with petty inquisitions, <class>. That just might be the most powerful being you ever come face to face with.
You do not look familiar. I suppose you want to learn about the city?
You'll have to excuse me if I don't give you a tour myself, but I'm a bit busy discussing strategy with A'dal. Perhaps you'll find a summoned servant acceptable in my stead? Excellent!
The stories of men are ephemeral, <name>. The stories of cities last well into the years.
I hope you learned a thing or two about Shattrath, <name>. It might take some time for things to sink in.
When you accept the quest, Khadgar's Servant appears next to Khadgar as your guardian.
- Khadgar's Servant says: Follow me, stranger. This won't take long.
He takes you out to the Terrace of Light through the northeast exit from A'dal's chamber.
- Haggard War Veteran says: Khadgar himself is showing you around? You must have made a good impression, <name>.
- Khadgar's Servant whispers: Shattrath was once the draenei capital of this world. Its name means "dwelling of light."
He goes down the northeast ramp into the Lower City.
- Khadgar's Servant whispers: When the Burning Legion turned the orcs against the draenei, the fiercest battle was fought here. The draenei fought tooth and nail, but in the end the city fell.
- Khadgar's Servant whispers: The city was left in ruins and darkness... until the Sha'tar arrived.
- Khadgar's Servant whispers: Let us go into the Lower City. I will warn you that as one of the only safe havens in Outland, Shattrath has attracted droves of refugees from all wars, current and past.
He goes over to the building atand stops.
- Khadgar's Servant whispers: The Sha'tar, or "born from light" are the naaru that came to Outland to fight the demons of the Burning Legion.
- Sha'nir says: A newcomer to Shattrath! Make sure to drop by later. We can always use a hand with the injured.
- Khadgar's Servant whispers: They were drawn to the ruins of Shattrath City where a small remnant of the draenei priesthood conducted its rites inside a ruined temple on this very spot.
- Khadgar's Servant whispers: The priesthood, known as the Aldor, quickly regained its strength as word spread that the naaru had returned and reconstruction soon began. The ruined temple is now used as an infirmary for injured refugees.
Khadgar's Servant goes over to the north ramp up to the Terrace of Light. As you enter the ramp:
- Iz'zard says: Be mindful of what you say, this one's being shown around by Khadgar's pet.
- Arcanist Adyria says: Are you joking? I'm a Scryer, I always watch what I say. More enemies than allies in this city, it seems.
Khadgar's Servant goes over to the eastern raised causeway over the Terrace of Light and stops at.
- Aldor Anchorite says: Light be with you, <name>. And welcome to Shattrath.
- Khadgar's Servant whispers: It wouldn't be long, however, before the city came under attack once again. This time, the attack came from Illidan's armies. A large regiment of blood elves had been sent by Illidan's ally, Kael'thas Sunstrider, to lay waste to the city.
- Khadgar's Servant whispers: As the regiment of blood elves crossed this very bridge, the Aldor's exarchs and vindicators lined up to defend the Terrace of Light. But then the unexpected happened.
- Khadgar's Servant whispers: The blood elves laid down their weapons in front of the city's defenders; their leader, a blood elf elder known as Voren'thal, stormed into the Terrace of Light and demanded to speak to A'dal.
- Khadgar's Servant whispers: As the naaru approached him, Voren'thal kneeled before him and uttered the following words: "I've seen you in a vision, naaru. My race's only hope for survival lies with you. My followers and I are here to serve you."
He then heads back down into the Terrace of Light, and then up the next ramp onto the southern raised causeway, the one that leads to the Scryer's Tier. He stops at on the causeway. As he stops:
- Scryer Arcanist says: We're rather selective of who we befriend, <name>. You think you have what it takes?
- Khadgar's Servant whispers: The defection of Voren'thal and his followers was the largest loss ever incurred by Kael's forces. And these weren't just any blood elves. Many of the best and brightest amongst Kael's scholars and magisters had been swayed by Voren'thal's influence.
- Khadgar's Servant whispers: The naaru accepted the defectors, who would become known as the Scryers; their dwelling lies in the platform above. Only those initiated with the Scryers are allowed there.
He then heads back down into the Terrace of Light, and then up the next ramp onto the southern raised causeway, the one that leads to the Aldor Rise. He stops at on the causeway.
- Khadgar's Servant whispers: The Aldor are followers of the Light and forgiveness and redemption are values they understand. However, they found hard to forget the deeds of the blood elves while under Kael's command.
- Khadgar's Servant whispers: Many of the priesthood had been slain by the same magisters who now vowed to serve the naaru. They were not happy to share the city with their former enemies.
- Khadgar's Servant whispers: The Aldor's most holy temple and its surrounding dwellings lie on the terrace above. As a holy site, only the initiated are welcome inside.
Khadgar's Servant heads into A'dal's chamber, and stops aton the upper level, overlooking A'dal.
- Khadgar's Servant whispers: The attacks against Shattrath continued, but the city did not fall, as you can see. On the contrary, the naaru known as Xi'ri led a successful incursion into Shadowmoon Valley - Illidan's doorstep.
- Khadgar's Servant whispers: There he continues to wage war on Illidan with the assistance of the Aldor and the Scryers. The two factions have not given up on their old feuds, though.
- Khadgar's Servant whispers: Such is their animosity that they vie for the honor of being sent to assist the naaru there. Each day, that decision is made here by A'dal. The armies gather here to receive A'dal's blessing before heading to Shadowmoon.
- Khadgar's Servant whispers: Khadgar should be ready to see you again. Just remember that to serve the Sha'tar you will most likely have to ally with the Aldor or the Scryers. And seeking the favor of one group will cause the others' dislike.
- Khadgar's Servant whispers: Good luck stranger, and welcome to Shattrath City.
When the tour is over, Khadgar's Servant returns you to the upper level of A'dal's chamber, and disappears. Don't immediately jump down and talk to Khadgar - if you do it too soon, you won't be able to complete the quest and will have to do the whole tour over again by abandoning the quest and getting it again from Khadgar. Wait until you get the completion (less than 15 seconds) and then go talk to Khadgar.
In previous versions, you could skip following the Servant and simply wait on the northwest balcony for it to arrive and give you the quest completion. It is unknown what version this changed, but as of 7/31/09, this no longer works. Once the Servant has traveled outside your targeting range, it disappears; and you have to abandon the quest and start over.
Completing this quest gives you access to the quests that require you to decide which faction you want to align with - the Aldor or the Scryers.