|The subject of this article was removed from World of Warcraft in patch 4.0.3a.
- Not to be confused with Captain Conrad.
|Former affiliation(s)||Kingdom of Stormwind|
|Location||Kurzen's Compound, Stranglethorn Vale|
Originally a talented and noble soldier from Stormwind, he led an expedition from Stormwind to Stranglethorn Vale. Unfortunately, sometime during the expedition, he fell victim to foul magic; his mind becoming possessed by Mai'Zoth, a powerful ogre mage of local Mosh'ogg ogre clan, seeking to use Kurzen and his men for their own deeds.
Although the majority of Kurzen's men still follow their leader, a small group of his men, troubled by this sudden change in Kurzen, rebelled and estalished their own group at the Rebel Camp. Unlike Kurzen's force, the rebels loyalties still lie with Stormwind. Lieutenant Doren, leader of the rebels wants Kurzen's head to bring an end to his madness.
At some point, Kurzen tried to make advances to Emerine Junis, who denied them. For this, he threw her in prison.
This section concerns content related to Cataclysm.
It seems Kurzen met a foul end, as the say Colonel Conrad Kurzen was flung from a tower for the crime of weakness. He was replaced with an interim leader, Chief Esquivel.
- Garrote - Garrote the enemy, causing damage over time. Requires stealth.
- Smoke Bomb — Casts a smoke bomb, stunning nearby enemies for 3 sec. and putting the caster into stealth mode.
- Stealth — Puts the caster in stealth mode for 30 sec.
- Colonel Kurzen is a reference to Apocalypse Now. Kurzen, who has gone "insane" and has an army to fight for him from a small, hidden compound, parallels Colonel Kurtz, played by Marlon Brando. The two Colonels' backstories are very similar. It is, by extension, a reference to Kurtz from Heart of Darkness, the Joseph Conrad novella upon which Apocalypse Now is based. Captain Conrad later followed a similar path.
- Patch 4.0.3a (2010-11-23): Removed.
- Patch 2.3.0 (2007-11-13): No longer elite.
- Patch 0.12 (2004-10-11): Colonel Kurzen won't engage you in melee combat at a distance after using a smoke bomb.