The Combat Log is a of combat actions and results, but may also show the results of the profession activities of nearby characters.
All messages related to combat appear in this window. Watch it during combat to see how you are affecting your opponent, and vice versa.
By default, it is accessible via a Combat Log tab on the General chat window.
Combat Logs may be written to a file using the
/combatlog command. The resulting file may be found at Logs\WoWCombatLog.txt. The complexity of the combat logs content since the patch 2.4 changes means that logs are best used when analyzed by one of the available parsers which analyze combat logs to generate raid statistics.
WowCardioRaid is also available for those that prefer a local client.
Details of the changes made to the combat log in patch 2.4 can be found in the documentation for COMBAT_LOG_EVENT.
- Patch 2.4.0 (2008-03-25):
- New tabs are available for sorting combat messages.
- ctrl-right clicking functionality has been added for individual information sorting
- Colors may now be assigned for friends and enemies
- The WoWCombatLog.txt file format has been changed to make it easier for programs to read.
- The ability to chat-link player spells and talents.
- Patch 1.8.0 (2005-10-10): When you gain reputation, the combat log message will now display the numeric value of how much reputation you gained as well as the previous relative message.
- Patch 1.7.0 (2005-09-22):
- Absorbed and resisted environmental damage is now shown in the combat log.
- If an attack deals non-physical damage, the type of damage is now reported in the combat log.
- Patch 1.6.0 (2005-07-12):
- Spells that drain mana will now properly report the amount of mana gained in the combat log.
- The effect of damage resistance and vulnerability is now displayed in the combat log.
- Combat abilities which are fully blocked show up correctly in the combat log.
- Crushing and glancing blows show more information in the combat log.
- Event Horizon Fight Statistics (Last Updated: July 2011)
- WowCardioRaid (Last Updated: March 2013)
- Wow Log Parser (Last Updated: July 2011)