- Level 28 Fire mage ability
- 10% of base mana
- 2 min cooldown
- Instant cast
- Engulfs you in flames for 10 sec, increasing your critical strike chance by 100% and granting you Mastery equal to 50% your Critical Strike stat. Unaffected by the global cooldown and castable while casting.
- "A little fire goes a long way." —Cerripha Sunstreak
Combustion is a level 28 Fire mage ability. When activated, it increases critical strike chance by 100% and grants Mastery equal to 50% of your Critical Strike stat.
Patches and hotfixes
Hotfix (2012-09-12): "Combustion should no longer ignore target damage multipliers when calculating the damage of the Pyroblast DoT on the target."
- Patch 7.1.5 (2017-01-10): The amount of Mastery granted has been reduced to 50% of Critical Strike rating (was 100%).
- Patch 7.0.3 (2016-07-19): Redesigned. Now increases critical strike by 100% and Mastery equal to the Critical Strike stat for 10 seconds. Cooldown increased from 45 seconds to 2 minutes.
- Hotfix (2014-11-12): "Combustion is now learned at level 80 (up from level 77)."
- Patch 6.0.2 (2014-10-14):
- No longer deals direct damage or stuns.
- Damage has been increased by 100% and now replaces [Deep Freeze] for Fire mages.
- Patch 5.4.0 (2013-09-10): Combustion on targets affected by the Mage's Ignite now deals additional damage equal to 20% of Ignite's damage per tick (down from 50%).
- Hotfix (2012-11-29): "The periodic damage from Combustion has been reduced by 50%."
- Patch 5.1.0 (2012-11-27): Periodic damage is now based only on the current Ignite, instead of both Ignite and Pyroblast. Damage has been increased to bring it up to approximately the same level as before.
- Hotfix (2012-10-16): "Combustion direct damage that does not crit now causes Heating Up to be removed after a short delay. Additionally, the delay on non-crits removing Heating Up has been increased from 0.25sec to 0.5sec."
- Hotfix (2012-09-14): "
- Pyroblast and Combustion should combine to do the expected amount of damage and critical damage.
- The initial damage of Combustion is now properly affected by Shatter, increasing its crit chance accordingly.
Patch 5.0.4 (2012-08-28): Combustion now only affects [Pyroblast] and Ignite, and will now stun its target. Cooldown reduced to 45 seconds.
Patch 4.3.0 (2011-11-29): Combustion’s periodic damage can now critically hit.
Hotfix (2011-07-26): "Combustion should no longer ignore damage modifiers on a target. As an example, Smoldering Elemental packs in the Firelands should no longer take full damage from Impact’s spread of Combustion, despite these creatures having damage reduction modifiers."
Patch 4.1.0 (2011-04-26): No longer has a global cooldown.
Patch 4.0.1 (2010-10-12): Redesigned.
Patch 3.3.3 (2010-03-23): The cooldown on this spell is now 2 minutes, down from 3 minutes.
Patch 3.2.2 (2009-09-22): This talent now also increases the critical strike damage bonus of Fire spells by 50% while it is active. In addition, [Living Bomb] periodic ticks will no longer interact with the count or the charges on the talent.
Patch 3.2.0 (2009-08-04): Fire spell misses will no longer trigger this talent.
Patch 1.12.0 (2006-08-22): Reduced the number of messages that appear in the combat log when using Combustion.
Patch 1.11.0 (2006-06-20): Redesigned. When activated, this spell causes each Fire damage spell you cast to increase your critical strike chance with Fire damage spells by 10%. This effect lasts until you have caused 3 critical strikes with Fire spells. 3 minute cooldown. Previously, it increased the critical strike chance of the next fire spell by 100%, only guaranteeing one critical strike. The cooldown was 5 minutes.