|It has been suggested that this article or section be split into two or more articles.|
|Level||21 - 87 Elite|
|Class||Death knight, Paladin (formerly)|
|Mana||5,100 - 93,100|
Commander Springvale is the third boss in Shadowfang Keep. By dungeon teleport, he is located in the Chapel.
A loyal soldier, the ghost of Commander Springvale haunts the council room, using unholy strikes to avenge his lord, Baron Silverlaine.
Attacks and abilities
- Malefic Strike — Strikes an enemy for 100% weapon damage, generating a charge of Unholy Power.
- Shield of the Perfidious — Unleash Unholy Power in a torrent of energy in a cone in front of the caster, dealing 95 to 105 (Heroic: 14250 to 15750) Shadow damage per 0.5 sec.
- Desecration — Defiles the ground at the feet of the caster. Grasping arms of the dead deal damage and hinder the movement of enemies in the area by 50%.
- Unholy Power — Unholy Power increases damage dealt by 10% and can be consumed to enable the use of fearsome abilities. Stacks up to 3 times.
- Word of Shame — Consumes Unholy Power to afflict an enemy with a powerful malady, dealing 5% of the target's maximum health per 3 sec. Lasts until its caster has perished, or the target has.
- Wailing Guardsman — Commander Springvale starts with a Wailing Guardsman and Tormented Officer next to him, and periodically two more will enter the fray.
- Unholy Empowerment — A Wailing Guardsman attempts to empower Commander Springvale. If the spell is successfully cast, Commander Springvale is healed for 4% of his maximum health and gains one charge of Unholy Power.
- Screams of the Past — The Wailing Guardman emits a terrible scream, interrupting nearby enemy spellcasting within 0 yards. Interrupted enemies cannot cast spells of the same spell school for 2 sec.
- Mortal Strike — The Wailing Guardsman instantly attacks his enemy, inflicting 120% of their normal weapon damage and leaving the enemy wounded. This mortal wound reduces the effectiveness of any healing on the target by 25%.
- Tormented Officer — Commander Springvale starts with a Wailing Guardsman and Tormented Officer next to him, and periodically two more will enter the fray.
- Unholy Empowerment — A Tormented Officer attempts to empower Commander Springvale. If the spell is successfully cast, Commander Springvale is healed for 4% of his maximum health and gains one charge of Unholy Power.
- Shield Wall — When a Tormented Officer is below 20% health, he will raise his shield defensively. This reduces all damage taken by 75% for 10 sec.
- Forsaken Ability — The Tormented Officer curses an enemy target for 30 sec. While the curse is on the enemy, every 10 seconds an additional random curse is applied. The additional curses lasts 10 sec., and will reduce by 20% one of the following: armor, damage dealt, healing dealt, maximum health, or movement speed.
Tank Commander Springvale facing away from the group and have DPS focus on killing his adds first, moving out of his Desecrate as needed.
Commander Springvale begins with 2 adds and periodically summons two more, one from each hallway, that need to be killed quickly. He will periodically cast Desecration under the tank and the melee which players must move out of. The tank will need to move him away from Desecrate, but due to Shield of the Perfidious he should not be turned to face the group. Therefore tanking him against a wall and kiting him along it is recommended. The boss remains stationary while casting the shield and the tank can move out to avoid damage. Springvale's adds do weak melee attacks so, if needed, a plate-wearing DPS can pick them up while the tank is managing the boss. Both adds cast Unholy Empowerment on him which gives him an extra stack of unholy power, and heal him. These should be interrupted as often as possible, especially the heal. Adds can and should be CC'ed so that only one is active at a time. The achievement To The Ground! requires especially coordinated add management. This fight has a high DPS requirement and groups may opt to skip it and move on, as it is not required to finish the instance.
It is also possible to burn cooldowns early and focus fire the boss, while the tank picks up adds. This strategy will be more taxing on the healer and still requires high DPS output. Although just as difficult to accomplish, the primary advantage of this method is that the length of the fight is greatly reduced.
- Intruders in the keep! To arms!
- Summoning adds
- Repel the intruders!
- Killing a player
- The attackers weaken!
- One step closer to victory!
- Our vigilance is eternal...
Scene after death
- Packleader Ivar Bloodfang says: I've picked up Walden's foul scent. Fill the air with his blood!
- Deathstalker Commander Belmont says: I've sent my men forward on the rooftops to secure the area around Lord Walden.
- Deathstalker Commander Belmont says: Of course, somebody's going to have to take care of the small army between here and there.
As a paladin, he may have been a member of the Silver Hand.
- Patch 4.0.6 (2011-02-08): He now develops Separation Anxiety and increases damage by 200% if taken out of his room.
- Patch 4.0.3a (2010-11-23): Updated model, abilities and statistics to reflect the Cataclysm changes.