Concussive Shot is a level 4 Beast Mastery and Marksmanship hunter ability that dazes the target, slowing movement speed to 50% of normal for 6 seconds. Useful to slow down a mob that comes towards you or runs away from you.
Tips and tactics
This shot can be used anytime a mob needs to be slowed down for any reason and there is sufficient room and time to accomplish a ranged shot.
An excellent place to use it is when a mob tries to flee. As soon as they start to flee, hit them with the Concussive Shot, and they will run away much slower. This will give you time to kill them before they gets out of range or aggroes additional mobs.
If you've gotten jumped by another player, you can run away. Once you get far enough away to use Concussive Shot, jump, turn 90 degrees in midair (use your mouse), fire off Concussive Shot, then turn 90 degrees back again before you land. This will allow you to continue running away and still fire a shot at the pursuing player.
A 6 second snare goes by very quickly in such a fast-paced game such as World of Warcraft.
Notes and trivia
- Prior to The Burning Crusade, Concussive Shot was considered as a magic effect and was dispellable. It was also considered as part of the Arcane school, not the Physical.
- Unlike other projectiles from the Hunter's abilities, Concussive Shot will always be fired towards the target's head.
- Patch 7.1.0 (2016-10-25): Now learned at level 4 (was 8).
- Patch 7.0.3 (2016-07-19): No longer available to Survival.
- Patch 4.0.1 (2010-10-12): Cooldown reduced from 12 seconds to 5. Daze time increased from 4 seconds to 6.
- Patch 1.7.0 (2005-09-22): The tooltips for quick Hunter shots have been updated to show them as instant abilities.
- Patch 1.5.0 (2005-06-07): Special ability shots no longer add the ranged weapon speed or take into account ranged weapon haste when determining the actual cooldown. The tooltip and cooldown timers should now properly reflect the actual cooldown.
- Patch 1.1.0 (2004-11-07): No longer causes additional threat, duration and cooldown slightly increased, mana cost reduced.
- Patch 0.10 (2004-09-18): Duration has been increased.