Recipes in Cooking are used to craft various types of consumables, most of which are food. Many of them are learned from Cooking trainers, but the majority is learned by using recipe-items. As an item, a recipe may be obtained as a reward for completing a Cooking quest, found as loot or purchased from a vendor. It is usually named in the format of [Recipe: <consumable>], such as [Recipe: Runn Tum Tuber Surprise]. Most cooking recipes use the picture of a scroll.
No cooking recipe is restricted to either the Horde or the Alliance, but some are much easier to obtain for one of them than the other. This has several reasons - a recipe may be sold by a single faction-aligned NPC, rewarded from a faction-aligned quest, or perhaps dropped in in a zone especially populated by a specific faction. Often, these recipes are available from a neutral auction house.
As of Pilgrim's Bounty (2009), the total number of recipes actually in the game was 169. With the recent implements of Cataclysm, the number of recipes increased to 202 with the additional three new recipes from Cooking Trainers, two Feasts from guild achievements, and 28 from new Cooking Dailies. For new players, however, the number of obtainable recipes is slightly less; not only were the quests yielding some recipes removed in 4.0.3a, some vendors selling recipes were also removed due to change to their location (some of these recipes returned in 4.0.6). In addition, one recipe turned out to be bugged and was removed shortly after the expansion launched to be worked on (it later returned in 4.0.6 as well). Some others were returned in 4.1.0. 4.2.0 removed another recipe and returned two more, which places the number of recipes currently available to new chefs (non-Rogues, see below) at 200. Also, keep in mind that some recipes are only available during seasonal events. If you wish to determine which recipes you are missing, you can use the in-game mod Ackis Recipe List.
As of patch 4.2.0 - which removed one recipe - it's possible to know 202 cooking recipes at most. Non-Rogues are effectively limited to one less, since new copies of [Recipe: Thistle Tea] have been BoP since patch 1.3.0.
Nearly every recipe in Cooking is classified as "Food and drink". [Feathered Lure] is the only exception, being classified as "Other". The Cooking Fire is neither of them, being a separate ability.
Lists of Cooking recipes
- Note: Recipes marked with are very difficult or impossible to acquire. It is unlikely that the player will be able to learn them. This may change for each individual recipe.
Northrend Recipes (1 - 75)
|Northrend Cooking Recipes
Cataclysm Recipes (1 - 75)
Pandaria Recipes (1 - 75)
Draenor Recipes (1 - 100)
Legion Recipes (1 - 100)
Kul Tiran / Zandalari (1 - 175)
|Kul Tiran / Zandalari Cooking Recipes
Cooking recipe achievements
Several Cooking-achievements focus on recipes. The most notable of them are:
Patches and hotfixes
Patch 8.0.1 (2018-07-17):
Each expansion now has a separate profession skill bar, with smaller caps for each expansion, instead of one gigantic profession skill bar for all expansions put together
Patch 4.2.0 (2011-06-28):
The ability to make [Sporeling Snack]
s has been removed from the game, and [Recipe: Sporeling Snack]
in a player's inventory has been changed into a "Ruined Recipe", a gray quality item. Existing Sporeling Snacks in an inventory have also become gray items with no use, and their flavor text have changed from "Pets love sporeling snacks!" to "Pets hate sporeling snacks!" Thus, Sporeggar (faction)
does not offer any cooking recipes past skill 300 anymore. Sporeling Snack has also been removed from [The Outland Gourmet]
. [Recipe: Dig Rat Stew]
and [Recipe: Undermine Clam Chowder]
are now obtainable again. [Kibler's Bits]
has been changed to just make your pet larger for 5 min, from previously increasing your pet's happiness
(the happiness-system was removed in 4.1). Recipes (and related items) purchased with [Chef's Award]
are now sold by NPCs in Darnassus, Ironforge, Thunder Bluff and Undercity in addition to the previous vendors in Stormwind City and Orgrimmar.
- Hotfix (2011-02-11): "The [South Island Iced Tea] recipe no longer awards credit toward the [Set the Oven to "Cataclysmic"] or [Time To Open A Restaurant] guild achievements."
- Hotfix (2011-01-19): "Making [Kungaloosh] no longer counts toward the guild achievement [Set the Oven to "Cataclysmic"]."
- Hotfix (2011-01-07): " [Broiled Dragon Feast] is correctly being tracked by the guild achievement, [Set the Oven to "Cataclysmic"]."
- Hotfix (2010-12-17): "Conjuring refreshments no longer count toward achievements like [Set the Oven to "Cataclysmic"] and [Time To Open A Restaurant]."
- Hotfix (2010-12-17): "Several cooking recipes were not counting toward the achievement [Set the Oven to "Cataclysmic"] and have been updated. Note that [Darkbrew Lager], [Highland Spirits], and [Chocolate Cookie] are not intended to count for this achievement."
- Hotfix (2010-12-17): [Starfire Espresso] no longer counts towards toward achievements like [Set the Oven to "Cataclysmic"] and [Time To Open A Restaurant].
- Hotfix (2010-12-04): [Recipe: Feathered Lure] which was purchasable but unlearnable, is removed from vendors.
Patch 4.0.3a (2010-11-23):
Added [Blackened Surprise]
, [Darkbrew Lager]
and [Venison Jerky]
from trainer, and 30 Illustrious recipes. Changed [Recipe: Lavascale Minestrone]
to require level 500 Cooking. Characters that learned this recipe prior to the patch maintain the ability to cook it. Removed the sources (either quest or vendor) of the following recipes: [Recipe: Dig Rat Stew]
, [Recipe: Dirge's Kickin' Chimaerok Chops]
, [Recipe: Fillet of Frenzy]
, [Recipe: Kaldorei Spider Kabob]
, [Recipe: Undermine Clam Chowder]
, [Recipe: Spotted Yellowtail]
, [Recipe: Grilled Squid]
, [Recipe: Nightfin Soup]
, [Recipe: Poached Sunscale Salmon]
, [Recipe: Soothing Turtle Bisque]
and [Recipe: Tasty Lion Steak]
. Also added several new cooking achievements
, some being guild achievements
Wowhead: Cooking → Recipe (notice that some recipes are counted twice, which puts the number of recipes to 207 while it's actually 202)
Wowhead: Cooking → Crafted Items (doesn't include overview of skillpoints like the link above, but doesn't count some recipes twice either)