- For other uses, see Corruption (disambiguation).
- "The overwhelming desire for power can corrupt even those who claim to be pure."
- —Soul-Eater Morgania
Corruption is a simple damage over time spell which effects a magic debuff on the target, causing Shadow damage. As with most DoTs, once cast it inflicts damage upon its victim until either the effect wears off, or the spell's victim has met its end. This spell cannot normally generate critical hits (without talent improvement).
- Deals 10% less damage in PvP combat.
Tips and tactics
Corruption is considered a bread and butter 'staple' ability of Affliction warlocks.
Corruption can be cast with your target behind you, and since it is instant cast it can also be cast while running. As such, this ability is excellent for kiting enemies. Since walking backward is much slower than running forward or strafe-running, it is always best to do one of the latter two things while attempting to kite something.
- Corruption is a basic Warlock spell in Hearthstone. The flavor text reads: "It starts with stealing a pen from work, and before you know it, BOOM! Corrupted!"
- Corruption is one of 's Basic Abilities in Heroes of the Storm.
Patches and hotfixes
- Patch 7.1.0 (2016-10-25): Damage increased by 10%.
- Hotfix (2016-09-23): "Corruption damage increased by 10%."
- Patch 7.0.3 (2016-07-19): Now only available to Affliction. Damage per tick reduced by 11%, but lasts now for 14 seconds (down from 18 seconds), effectively increasing damage by 14.47%.
- Patch 6.2.2 (2015-09-01): Now deals 10% less damage in PvP combat.
- Patch 6.2.0 (2015-06-23): Now deals 12% more damage.
- Hotfix (2014-10-17): "Corruption's damage has been reduced by 10%."
- Patch 5.4.0 (2013-09-10): Damage has been increased by 10%.
- Hotfix (2013-03-12): "Corruption now deals 25% less damage."
- Patch 4.0.3a (2010-11-23): Damage has been reduced by approximately 12%.
- Patch 3.0.2 (2008-10-14): Now instant-cast.
- Patch 1.8.0 (2005-10-10): Duration reduced and damage per tick increased. Total damage over duration approximately identical.
- Patch 1.1.0 (2004-11-07): Removed facing requirement.
- Patch 0.11 (2004-09-29): Duration, damage, and mana cost reduced. Deals damage much faster.
- Patch 0.7 (2004-06-15): Mana cost reduced. Deals damage more frequently.
- Patch 0.6 (2004-04-13): Corruption will now stack with .
- ^ WoW TCG Card: Demonic Corruption
- ^ https://twitter.com/gryphonrose/status/605072698377666560
- ^ Corruption — Corrupts the target's blood with malevolent energy, inflicting 8000 Shadow damage every 3 sec. for 18 sec.