- "The crane is a symbol of wisdom and nobility. Their ability to carry us into the skies is nothing short of miraculous."
- — Jaluu the Generous
Cranes are large birds native to Pandaria. They make their first appearance in World of Warcraft during Mists of Pandaria. Chi-Ji the Red Crane is one of the four creatures known as the August Celestials who watch over Pandaria. These creatures should not be confused with tallstriders.
The majestic crane is a treasured friend of the pandaren. The pandaren of the Krasarang Wilds believe the cranes of Krasrang to be gifts from Chi-Ji, and their feathers are used to adorn garments and to fletch arrows.
It is said that each crane flock appoints a sentry who stands guard with a stone in its beak, so that, should it fall asleep, the stone drops and it awakens.
The Windfeather species of crane, found only on the Timeless Isle, are capable of producing brilliant plumage, and are highly protective of their nests. The birds seem to have an affinity with the winds, and can smooth down their feathers, allowing them to strike rapidly at predators. The matriarchs of the species sing a soothing melody, calming the chicks when they are agitated. The males seem particularly fierce, and will ruffle their feathers to sweep a powerful gust of wind at attackers. The meat of the Windfeathers makes for a savory, if lean, meal. Their feathers seem to have the ability to lighten spirits, and may have magical properties. Crane chicks of the Timeless Isle sometimes sing a curious song that calms the nerves and soothes the soul. The feathers of the Windfeather crane are surprisingly light to the touch and will fly away with the slightest breeze.
- Autumn <Lorewalker Cho's Companion>
- Chi-Ji <The Red Crane>
- Emerald Gander
- Kracor <Songstress of the Glade>
- Mr. Crane
- Needlebeak <Lord of the Flock>
- Songbird Queen
- Ancient Bloodcrown Crane; Krasarang Wilds
- Carp Hunter; Krasarang Wilds
- Child of Chi-Ji; Krasarang Wilds
- Corrupted Crane; Jade Forest
- Crested Bandit Crane; Jade Forest
- Exotic Pet Crane; Jade Forest
- Glade Hunter;; Valley of the Four Winds
- Glade Singer; Valley of the Four Winds
- Glade Sprinter; Valley of the Four Winds
- Great Crane; Krasarang Wilds
- Ink-Tipped Crane; Jade Forest
- Lotus Crane; Jade Forest
- Lushwater Crane; A Little Patience
- Sha-Haunted Crane; Krasarang Wilds
- Spirit of the Crane; Krasarang Wilds
- Sunrise Crane; Jade Forest
- Violetdawn Songspinner; Krasarang Wilds
- Wandering Greenback; Jade Forest
- White Crane; Vale of Eternal Blossoms
- Whitefeather Crane; Wandering Isle
- Whitefish Crane; Krasarang Wilds
- Whitefisher Crane; Valley of the Four Winds
- Windfeather Chick; Timeless Isle
- Windfeather Nestkeeper; Timeless Isle
- Brilliant Windfeather; Timeless Isle
- Fishgorged Crane; Timeless Isle
As a mount
- Main article: Crane mounts
As a companion pet
- has a chance to be found in Crane Nests on the Timeless Isle.
- can be purchased from Master Li on the Timeless Isle at a cost of 3 .
- can be purchased by pandaren players from Battle Pet Trainers at a cost of 50.
As an item
As a hunter pet
- If observed long enough, they can be seen eating a fish.