- This article is about the in-game city. For lore and history of Dalaran, see Dalaran (kingdom). For the area in the Hillsbrad Foothills, see Dalaran Crater.
Dalaran (or the City of Dalaran and Dalaran City, pronounced DAHL-uh-RAWN) is the capital of the magocratic nation of the same name. The city's inner fortress has served as the focal point for magi and the study of the arcane throughout human history.
Originally located by the Lordamere Lake in the Eastern Kingdoms, the city was magically moved to Northrend by the power of its magi. They fought both against the Dragon Aspect Malygos's crusade to eradicate the use of magic on Azeroth, and the undead forces of the Lich King. Dalaran would later be set in motion and fly high above the seas, as seen during the Purge. During the third invasion of the Burning Legion, Dalaran was moved to Karazhan, and then teleported to the Broken Isles in order to serve as a focal point in the fight against the Burning Legion's invasion.
- 1 History
- 2 Evolution
- 3 Maps and subregions
- 4 Factions
- 5 Notable residents
- 6 Getting there
- 7 Leaving Dalaran
- 8 Travel connections in Northrend
- 9 Travel connections in the Broken Isles
- 10 Points of interest
- 11 Notes and trivia
- 12 Gallery
- 13 Patches and hotfixes
- 14 See also
- 15 References
- 16 External links
- Main article: Dalaran (kingdom)#History
Wrath of the Lich King
This section concerns content related to Wrath of the Lich King.
The city contains areas that are faction-specific in the same manner as Shattrath City is divided amongst the Aldor and Scryers. Certain parts of the city can only be reached by Alliance players (Silver Enclave) while others are strictly for Horde use (Sunreaver's Sanctuary). The majority of the city remains neutral.
It acts as the neutral sanctuary city for the continent, similar to Shattrath City in Outland, and can be accessed via the teleport crystal in Violet Stand, Crystalsong Forest, north of the Dragonblight, or through a flight path. Portals are located within the Alliance and Horde districts of the city, connecting to the factions' capital cities and Shattrath City. There is a portal trainer at the Violet Gate, and there are battlemasters and an arena master in the Underbelly sewer system. Like Stormwind's Stockade and Orgrimmar's Ragefire Chasm, Dalaran has its own instance within the city: the Violet Hold.
Like Shattrath City, there were originally no class trainers - with the notable exception of mage trainers, given the city's history - nor an Auction House. (Patch 3.2.0 introduced an Auction House for Master Engineers with the addition of Steam Powered Auctioneers to the Like Clockwork engineering shop, while Patch 4.0.3a made the auctioneers usable by everyone and added class trainers.) Grand Master trainers for each profession are available in the city.
In-game, the city of Dalaran was originally a no-fly zone below a certain altitude (slightly higher than the rooftops), with the exception of Krasus' Landing, where the flight point is located, and the Underbelly. This was to help maintain the atmosphere of the city, but with Cataclysm, the rule was lifted.
This section concerns content related to Cataclysm.
The portals to the Alliance and Horde major cities were removed in patch 4.0.3a and replaced by class trainers. However, the portals to Stormwind and Orgrimmar were restored in patch 4.1.0. The formerly engineering-only auctioneers — Steam-Powered Auctioneer in Silver Enclave and Steam-Powered Auctioneer in Sunreaver's Sanctuary — now serve anyone and flying is now allowed.
For information about getting out of Dalaran and getting around the Old World without the portals to the major cities, Cataclysm travel guide will prove useful. Note that, while it has been explained that Outland and Northrend take place within the time frame their storylines occurred in, the Dalaran Crater in the old world remains empty.
Mists of Pandaria
This section concerns content related to Mists of Pandaria.
This section concerns content related to Legion.
Dalaran returns as the new hub for the Alliance and the Horde in Legion. There are story-based modifications made to the city, including changes to the center as well as the Underbelly, which may see a new free for all PvP area.
Maps and subregions
Dalaran is split into several inter-faction zones, and 2 faction only zones. These are:
- The Violet Citadel - Seat of the Kirin Tor faction.
- Silver Enclave - Faction specific subzone for the Alliance.
- The Eventide
- Krasus' Landing - Flight master is located here.
- Sunreaver's Sanctuary - Faction specific subzone for the Horde.
- Antonidas Memorial - Memorial to Archmage Antonidas.
- Magus Commerce Exchange - Main trade district.
- Runeweaver Square - The city's central plaza.
- Violet Gate - (Where portals first take you.
- Legerdemain Lounge - Neutral Inn, North-central area.
- The Underbelly - Sewers below the city.
- Dalaran Vaults - May be the same as the city's Arcane Vault.
|Instance Name||Level Range||Group Size|
|The Violet Hold||63 - 80||5 man|
|Assault on Violet Hold||105 - 110||5 man|
- Kirin Tor - The main body of the city with its leaders of the Council ruling over it. Neutral to the Alliance and the Horde. Led by Archmage Khadgar.
- Silver Covenant - Supporters of the Alliance and hostile to the Horde. Led by Vereesa Windrunner.
- Sunreavers - Representatives of the Horde and hostile to the Alliance. Led by Archmage and former Council member, Aethas Sunreaver.
- Main article: Council of Six
- Khadgar - Formerly Medivh's apprentice, he was the member of the council that suggested appointing Jaina as their leader, following the events of the attack on Theramore. Now leads the council as of Jaina's departure.
- Ansirem Runeweaver - Known member of the council. Like Modera, he was on the council when Garithos condemned Kael'thas.
- Kalecgos - Joined the Kirin Tor after the fall of Theramore.
- Karlain - An alchemist and mage. Once at the mercy of his emotions, he has since become one of the most controlled and thoughtful members of the Kirin Tor.
- Modera - The longest-standing member.
- Vargoth - Survivor of the Alliance Expedition and former resident and notable of Kirin'Var Village.
Other notable residents
- Vereesa Windrunner: The wife of Rhonin and the leader of the Silver Covenant.
- Aethas Sunreaver: Former member of the Council of Six and the leader of the Sunreavers.
Dalaran is located in the north central region of the continent of Northrend, floating above the western side of Crystalsong Forest. Ships and zeppelins departing from Stormwind, Orgrimmar, Menethil Harbor and the Undercity provide access to Northrend from Kalimdor and the Eastern Kingdoms.
- Dalaran specific methods from within Northrend
- As of Patch 4.0.3, the flight master at Krasus' Landing in Dalaran is learned automatically by all characters. Any character can simply take a ship or zeppelin to Borean Tundra or Howling Fjord, talk to the flight master near the dock, and take a taxi to Dalaran.
- At level 68 any character can learn and fly to Dalaran with a flying mount.
- At level 68 a set of crystals, (Teleport to Violet Stand Crystal and Teleport to Dalaran Crystal), can be used. The Teleport to Violet Stand Crystal must be used first by doing from Portal Trainer, so you must first reach Dalaran via another method. Note that the completion of these quests will render unavailable, so it is a good idea to not complete these quests until you have acquired one of the Kirin Tor rings or an .
- At level 74 any character can get from any of several members of the Kirin Tor. This provides a portal to Dalaran until you complete the quest. As with the quest above, it is best not to complete this quest until you have one of the Kirin Tor rings or an . If you don't complete it, you can use the portal to travel quickly from the ship or zeppelin port in Borean Tundra or Howling Fjord (or several other locations in Northrend) to Dalaran, allowing you to keep your hearthstone in your faction capital or some other useful location.
- At level 71 mages can talk to NPCs in Dragonblight and learn to teleport to Dalaran after completing .
- At level 80, if your faction has won the previous Wintergrasp battle, you can take the Wintergrasp portal to the Violet Citadel. The portal is inside the Wintergrasp Fortress.
- A separate guide, Getting to Wintergrasp and Dalaran, provides a few ways to get to Wintergrasp.
- A Dalaran portal appears after completing the Trial of the Crusader.
- Dalaran specific methods from anywhere
- At level 74 mages can learn a portal to Dalaran from the portal trainer. A mage portal allows anyone to get to Dalaran from anywhere.
- A set of upgradeable Kirin Tor rings are available at level 80. Any of these rings can teleport the player to Dalaran.
- An is available at level 80. This teleports the player to the Argent Tournament Grounds, less than two minutes' flight from Dalaran.
- Non-Dalaran specific methods
- Once in Dalaran, players can set a Dalaran inn as their home, which enables them to teleport there with their .
- A Warlock in Dalaran can summon players to Dalaran, with 2 others in Dalaran in the same group.
- Players whose accounts are linked via Recruit-A-Friend can summon one another to Dalaran. The players must be in the same group.
- Portals to Dalaran exist in Shrine of Seven Stars and Shrine of Two Moons in the Vale of Eternal Blossoms, Pandaria.
In addition, every Class Hall has a portal to Dalaran. There are also portals in Stormwind Keep in Stormwind City and the Cleft of Shadow in Orgrimmar — the same portals previously used to get to Dalaran over Karazhan for .
Finally, at level 110, mages can learn a portal to Dalaran over the Broken Isles from a portal trainer, allowing them to teleport other players there. And like its Northrend version, Dalaran over the Broken Isles has innkeepers who allow players to set their regular there.
- Dalaran-specific methods
- Anyone who is at least level 74 can talk to Portal Trainer Celindra and do to enable the Teleport to Violet Stand Crystal which teleports to Violet Stand below Dalaran.
- Learn and fly from there with a flying mount.
- Take the Caverns of Time portal in the Violet Citadel.
- Non-Dalaran specific methods
- Hearth to non-Dalaran bind point.
- A warlock not in Dalaran can summon players from Dalaran, with 2 others at destination in the same group.
- After meeting the Dalaran Flight master (in Krasus' Landing), players can pay to fly from there to nearby flight masters via a Flight Path.
- Jump off the edge or from the tunnel in the sewers (Underbelly), though this will kill you unless you have a way to slow your descent.
- As of Cataclysm, it is fairly common to see mages offering portals out of Dalaran to various locales.
- Ebon Watch, Zul'Drak
- Moa'ki Harbor, Dragonblight
- Wyrmrest Temple, Dragonblight
- Argent Tournament Grounds, Icecrown
- Argent Vanguard, Icecrown
- Fordragon Hold, Dragonblight
- Kor'kron Vanguard, Dragonblight
When Wrath of the Lich King went live, Dalaran supplanted Shattrath City as the major hub for player activity, due to easy access to the capital cities in the southern continents, to Outland via Shattrath, and to the high level content in Northrend. Those portals were removed in patch 4.0.3a, however portals to Orgrimmar and Stormwind City were added in patch 4.1.0.
- Watchers' Aerie, Azsuna
- Shackle's Den, Azsuna
- Felblaze Ingress, Azsuna
- Meredil, Suramar
- Crimson Thicket, Suramar
- Hafr Fjall, Stormheim
- Vengeance Point, Broken Shore
Every class hall has a portal to it located in Dalaran, with the exception of Trueshot Lodge, which has a special, instant-arrival flight, effectively a teleport
Points of interest
- There are 12 mailboxes, one outside The Filthy Animal inn and two outside The Legerdemain Lounge inn, two located outside the north bank and one located outside the south bank, one outside the Eastern entrance to The Underbelly, one outside the Alchemy trainer, one in Krasus' Landing, one at the foot of the stairway leading to The Violet Citadel, one outside A Hero's Welcome, and one outside the Guild Master.
- As pointed out from above there are two banks, one located right from the statue of Antonidas and another located on the other side of Dalaran in The Eventide, to the left of the entrance of A Hero's Welcome. Although they are both near the faction controlled areas, they are available to both the Alliance and the Horde.
- The well near the Magus Commerce Exchange is an entrance to the Underbelly, when you jump into it you arrive randomly at one of four possible sites in the Underbelly. Jumping down will not give any fall damage.
- All profession trainers (except Fishing, Cooking and Archaeology) are located in the Magus Commerce Exchange.
- All mage trainers are located in the Violet Gate.
Notes and trivia
- The Ultimate Visual Guide erroneously described Dalaran as "formerly ruled" by magocracy. However, the Council of Six still rules it as of Legion, and it has been confirmed that Dalaran is thus still a magocracy.
- Dalaran is a melee tileset in The Frozen Throne.
- Like the World's End Tavern in the Lower City of Shattrath, Dalaran has a portal to Caverns of Time for quick access to southern Kalimdor. This portal is located in the second floor of the Violet Citadel. Also, a player can talk to Zidormi, a NPC standing in front of the portal to also teleport to the Caverns of Time.
- When night falls, Windle Sparkshine will light most of the lamps in Dalaran, then stand outside the Alliance section of Dalaran, and will sell for 50 Silver.
- The Schools of Arcane Magic achievement is completed in the city.
- Strangely, in-game there is no "old gate" on the side of the land mass and the other halves of the houses in Alterac Mountains aren't there either.
- While in Dalaran, you may randomly get Manabonked by Minigob Manabonk.
- The white-quality weapons sold at the Arsenal Absolute were excellent for leveling up weapon skills, until the removal of weapon skills in patch 4.0.1.
- Compared to other major cities, Dalaran has very many activities. Examples include /Pet'ing Jones, lighting up the city, hunting books and fishing for treasures.
- A group of high elf engineers helped build Dalaran's original defenses. These engineers later ended up as blood elves in Kael'thas Sunstrider's army.
- Dalaran is smaller than the other major cities in the game. At the same time, it has a large number of NPC's, doodads, and objects. This accumulates a high amount of players at a small area, along with causing a player's computer to load several city details at once. Back in the day of WOTLK, the result was often a mediocre to large degree of lag when the player was inside the city. The lag experienced within Dalaran was a very common topic within World of Warcraft; some players even dubbed the city "Lagaran" because of it. It was not uncommon for a character in Dalaran to be unable to perform any action at all, use abnormally much time on simple actions such as walking, or be even repeatedly disconnected when attempting to log in if the character was located in the city. The problem was severe enough that Blizzard had to implement the Argent Tournament in Icecrown away from Dalaran, rather than in Crystalsong Forest directly underneath it as originally planned. The amount of lag lessened in Cataclysm with the removal of most city portals, and with most players moving to their faction capitals (Stormwind City and Orgrimmar).
- In an interview with Jesse Cox, Dave Kosak revealed that Dalaran was planned to be in the air above the Siege of Orgrimmar, but technical limitations meant they had to scrap the idea. It is possible this is related to the limitations which prevented the Argent Tournament from being placed in Crystalsong Forest.
- As of patch 7.0.3, there are four separate Dalarans in the game (not counting Dalaran Crater), each reflecting a different time in the city's history: in Northrend, as an instance during the Operation: Shieldwall/Dominance Offensive storyline, over Karazhan (phasing in after the Battle for the Broken Shore), and with Legion, the most recent version over the Broken Isles.
- Dalaran can be seen in End Time, but not in the Dragon Soul raid.
- The version of Dalaran seen in the patch 5.1 storylines (the Operation: Shieldwall and Dominance Offensive quest chains) is located in its own instance, similar to Plaguelands: The Scarlet Enclave, rather than being a phased version of the main-world Dalaran. It uses the Violet Hold loading screen rather than the Northrend one, and is floating over what looks like a sea. Besides the NPC changes, there is no Violet Hold instance portal in this version, flying is impossible (even at Krasus' Landing), and jumping off the Underbelly pipe kills the player before they reach the water below.
- Dalaran over Karazhan, seen between completing and , is an intermediate version between the Northrend and Broken Isles Dalarans. The Chamber of the Guardian exists in this version but the teleport pad is not working; the Silver Enclave and Sunreaver's Sanctuary still have those names, rather than their new names in Legion (and both are accessible to both factions); the city is full of Kirin Tor Guardians, and most NPCs only offer gossip text instead of their regular services.
- The decision to have Dalaran as the Legion sanctuary has created mixed results among players, with some wondering why the Horde would want to return after Purge of Dalaran and others feeling that Dalaran has left the Alliance and become neutral.
Concept art of Dalaran while still in the Alterac Mountains.
Dalaran Underbelly map prior to Cataclysm
Dalaran map prior to Cataclysm
Dalaran attacked by the Legion.
Patches and hotfixes
- Hotfix (2016-07-19): "Dalaran (Northrend) should again have a Trade chat channel."
- Patch 4.0.1 (2010-10-12): Updated maps.
- Patch 3.0.2 (2008-10-14): Added.
- ^ a b Sean Copeland 2018-03-07. Sean Copeland on Twitter. Archived from the original on 2018-03-08. Retrieved on 2018-03-08.
- ^ Hearthstone: Announcing the Knights of the Frozen Throne
- ^ World of Warcraft: Mage
- ^ Patch 4.0.3a (world changes)#Dalaran
- ^ Vanion's interview with Dave Kosak - "So, in present-day, Dalaran is in motion and we don't say where and we are not sure if we show it in-game somewhere else. Yet we have not decided."
- ^ Dave Kosak on Twitter
- ^ Dev Interviews, Rogue Order Hall, Blue Posts, Warcraft Movie Prop Contest, DLC #500 (2015-08-11).
- ^ The Thieving Apprentice
- ^ In the Shadow of the Sun
- ^ Tides of War
- ^ Day of the Dragon
- ^ a b c d e The Cataclysm travel guide provides more information on the ship and zeppelin routes to Northrend, item and quest portals to Dalaran, and suggests ways higher level players can shorten travel times between Dalaran and their faction capitals.
- ^ Mumper on Twitter
- ^ Ultimate Visual Guide, pg. 18
- ^ The Crossing (WC3 BloodElf)
- ^ Warcraft Interview: Dave Kosak - 2 NERDS, 1 LORE (Patch 5.4 and beyond)
|Northrend||During the Purge||Broken Isles|