Leader of the Gilneas Liberation Front,|
|Character class||Fury Warrior|
|Affiliation(s)||Alliance, Gilneas, Gilneas Liberation Front, Gilneas Brigade, Valarjar|
|Former affiliation(s)||Northgate rebels, Alliance of Lordaeron|
Leader of the Gilneas Liberation Front,|
Champion of the Valarjar:
formerly Leader of the Northgate rebels during the Northgate Rebellion
Lord Darius Crowley was once a Gilnean nobleman. A pro-Alliance figure, he dissented with King 's decision to separate his people with the Greymane Wall. Crowley led the Northgate Rebellion that caused a civil war in Gilneas, during which he was imprisoned. When Gilneas was attacked by worgen, he was freed and became a worgen himself. Both Crowley and Greymane reconciled and joined forces against the threats Gilneas faced. He now leads the Gilneas Liberation Front which fights against the Forsaken along with the Bloodfang pack and the 7th Legion.
Lord of His PackThis section concerns content exclusive to the Warcraft novels or short stories.
At the time of the Second War, Lord Crowley was a nobleman whose lands and people were outside of the border that would later be known as the Greymane Wall. Despite being young and new to the Gilnean council of Lords, his humanistic and charismatic qualities made him loved by the Gilnean people and earned him the respect and friendship of the king of Gilneas, . Crowley was one of the nobles that accompanied Greymane to Capital City to hear of Stormwind's fall and 's warning about the invading Orcish Horde. Crowley was sympathetic to the Alliance's plight and advised Greymane to send aid to the newly-formed Alliance. Greymane agreed out of self-serving reasons but offered only token support.
When Gilneas seceded from the Alliance, they created the Greymane Wall, a massive barrier that walled off his lands from the rest of Gilneas. Crowley opposed King Greymane's decision to abandon his people and later led the Northgate Rebellion, an uprising that resulted in a civil war. In retaliation for Greymane's decision to abandon the Alliance, it was Crowley that was responsible for sending the Gilneas Brigade to during the Third War. He was eventually arrested on the grounds of treason and held at Stoneward Prison.
CataclysmThis section concerns content exclusive to the World of Warcraft comics. This section concerns content exclusive to Cataclysm.
Shortly before the attack on Gilneas City, Genn was thinking about granting Crowley amnesty.
When the capital of Gilneas was attacked by feral worgen, Crowley was released by Gilnean adventurers and convinced to give aid to Greymane, who had ordered the evacuation of Gilneas. When he and his released men regrouped, he gave them a speech of a union against the worgen. In order to divert the worgen's attention from the fleeing citizens, Crowley led a group of brave Gilneans to stand against them at Light's Dawn Cathedral. Crowley and his followers were overwhelmed, and became worgen themselves.
When Belysra took to Tal'doren, he encountered Darius Crowley, one of many Gilneans that Belysra and her night elves had been trying to help with their worgen affliction. A Loyalist, Halford still thought of Darius as a rebel and a traitor and lunged at him but the fight was broken up by Belysra who reminded them that the past didn't matter anymore and that they both needed to put it behind them in order to preserve the future of Gilneas. Both agreed to put the past behind them and work together to capture feral worgen in the woods of the Blackwald and make them sane again and regain their humanity.
He worked with the adventurer to retrieve the stolen from the hands of the Forsaken. He was worried of how Lorna would react to the news that he had the curse, but she was fine with it (considering that she had thought he had been killed instead). As the Forsaken invasion went on, and Lord Godfrey traveled to Tal'doren to ask Crowley to help unite Gilneas against the Forsaken. Due to 's prejudices towards the worgen, Darius was hesitant to accept. Greymane tells Darius that he is asking as an equal and after revealing that he too had succumbed to the Worgen curse, Darius agreed to join forces.
Eventually, the worgen army battled against Alpha Prime's Wolf Cult and the Wolf Cult's Forsaken allies. Shortly afterwards he, Halford and other Gilneans witnessed the revelation of Genn's worgen form and the Gilnean people accepted him.
Darius later participated in with Genn and though they were successful in retaking the city, the Forsaken's Horde reinforcements and intent on using the Forsaken Blight forced the Gilneans to flee and seek sanctuary in Darnassus. Before the worgen left, he was present at Liam's funeral in Aderic's Repose and in Keel Harbor he led the organization of defenses against the invading Horde. While most of the worgen left, he and his daughter remained.
Darius as he appears atop Stoneward Prison.
Darius in Light's Dawn Cathedral.
Darius Crowley in Tal'doren.
Gilneas Liberation FrontThis section concerns content exclusive to Cataclysm.
With Gilneas now in enemy hands following the Forsaken invasion, Lord Crowley led the Gilneas Liberation Front against the Forsaken in Silverpine Forest. With the Bloodfang pack and the bolstering their numbers, and with help from the 7th Legion, who used a submarine to pass through enemy lines, the Alliance gained the upper hand in Gilneas. However, agents of the Horde ended up destroying some of the reinforcements and enabled the Forsaken to resurrect Lord Godfrey as one of their own, a fact that none of the Gilneans were aware of.
With Godfrey's help the Forsaken successfully captured Darius's daughter Lorna. Crowley led the Alliance's final push into Silverpine Forest. herself rode out to meet with Darius at the shattered Greymane Wall and gave him two choices - the surrender of the Gilneas Liberation Front, or Lorna's death and resurrection as one of the Forsaken. Without a moment of hesitation, Darius agreed to surrender the Gilneas City in order to protect his daughter. Sylvanas allowed them to retreat to Gilneas, which was still contested between the Alliance and the Horde.
LegionThis section concerns content exclusive to Legion.
The Gilneas Brigade led by Genn and Darius' daughter Lorna established Greywatch to secure Stormheim from threats. While he has yet to appear on the Broken Isles, he does make an appearance if an Alliance player reaches Prestige Rank 2, where he is found in Stormwind Keep alongside Princess following the receival of the quest, A Royal Audience. He is among the audience that congratulates the character for their battles against the Horde, following their receiving of the from Anduin Wrynn, as well as an artifact appearance.
Crowley is later found to have been taken captive by the Naga on the Broken Shore alongside many other warriors. If the player is an Alliance Warrior, they free him, and he aids them in freeing the other warriors from the front. His counterpart for the Horde is . Notably, unlike Eitrigg who does not have this function, if the Warrior frees any Forsaken, Crowley has a chance to run up and instantly kill them. If a pack of warriors is freed and he does this, any Worgen freed will also cheer.
Crowley will later join the Valarjar as one of their followers, which also opens up recruitment for the 7th Legion; despite Crowley not being a part of this organization. It's possible this is just due to his place as a leader in the Alliance and prior working with the 7th Legion in Gilneas. He can be used as a bodyguard or support companion, which will cause him to appear and do an extremely large amount of damage in a wide AoE bladestorm.
|Location||Level range||Health range|
In Gilneas City:
In Keel Harbor:
He is also observed in various Horde quests in Silverpine Forest, which take place after the events of the worgen starting area.
CataclysmThis section concerns content exclusive to Cataclysm.
- We do what we must.
- We will prevail.
- Main article: Quest:Time to Regroup#Notes
- Main article: Quest:Sacrifices#Notes
- Main article: Quest:Neither Human Nor Beast#Notes
- Main article: Quest:The Battle for Gilneas City#Notes
- Main article: Quest:Patriarch's Blessing#Notes
LegionThis section concerns content exclusive to Legion.
- Is there trouble afoot?
- Do you need something?
- What... is it?
- My rage is growing.
- I'm about to lose control and I think I like it!
- Stand strong.
- For the Alliance.
- My claws are sharp and ready for action!
- Despite his appearance on the Skyfire following the Broken Shore, Crowley does not make an appearance at Greywatch, nor does he appear during the Cove of Nashal scenario. Numerous unused NPCs show that he may have been originally intended to accompany the player throughout Stormheim, rather than Lorna, or at the least have had more than one appearance, as it bears the Gilneas Brigade tag, which none of his prior appearances bear, including the Skyfire. He does however re-appear when a player achieves Prestige Rank 2 and is honored by the Alliance during the quest A Royal Audience, where he stands beside Princess .
- Darius was presumably originally slated to appear in Skyhold. Whether this would have been as a recently deceased spirit, or as a still living character (as numerous other still living warriors were also going to appear alongside ghosts of warriors past) is unknown, given his aforementioned appearance in Stormwind, it is unlikely he would have been slain. Darius and Eitrigg eventually did make it into Skyhold as followers in 7.2..
- In Curse of the Worgen, it is discovered that Crowley could not resume his human form at the time of the invasion because he held onto guilt. It is unknown if this is still the case or like the other worgen who undertook the worgen ritual, he was able to make peace with his emotions and bring balance to his human and worgen side.
- There is a growing fanbase for Darius Crowley, mostly due to his ability to cleave mobs using only his fists during a quest in the Worgen starting area. Due to this, it has been suggested by several players that he could finally be the Alliance's version of .
- His name could be a reference to the song "Mr. Crowley" by Ozzy Osbourne, which is in turn a reference to 20th-century occultist Aleister Crowley. This song is also used in the meme growing around the character, with fans referring to the character as "Miiiiister Croooowwwwley" (dun dun dun!). Early in its existence, the Mr. Crowley meme was referenced by the voice actor Jesse Cox in his worgen starting zone videos.
- His name could also be named after Darius the Great.
- In earlier beta builds, Crowley's Worgen form wielded a two-handed sword, however he has since been changed to dual wield fist weapons. It's possible this was done intentionally by Blizzard in response to his fistcleaving meme.
- While Darius has no problems sacrificing the lives of his men for his homeland and even deliberately using one as a pawn in order to set up a trap against the forsaken, he will not allow any harm to come to his daughter no matter the costs, as shown at the end of a quest chain in Silverpine when he surrendered to the Forsaken to prevent Lorna from becoming one of them.
- He is occasionally referred to as "Lord Box Head", "Darius Boxhead" or "Boxhead Crowley" due to his Worgen model in early beta builds.
- Darius is voiced by David Thewlis, who plays the werewolf Remus Lupin in the Harry Potter franchise.
- In World of Warcraft: Legion, his voice actor has changed.
- Darius' new irritated voiceline from Legion is a reference to The Pointer Sister's song, I'm So Excited.
Darius could be related to other people called Crowley besides his daughter Lorna.
Darius Crowley in the TCG.
Fan art of a worgen by SiaKim, later used as an official representation of Darius in the UVG.
- Patch 4.0.3a (2010-11-23): Added.