White Wolf Publishing
May 14, 2008
Dark Factions is a sourcebook for the World of Warcraft RPG. The book was released on May 14, 2008.
Crush the Alliance AND Horde!
Discover eight new races and fifteen factions. New game elements — classes, spells, technological devices, and the like — further enhance these characters.
- Contains eight new races, including naga, pandaren and satyrs.
- Contains nine prestige classes, including the brewmaster, death knight, and naga anomaly.
- Includes variant classes, racial iconic classes, and creature classes, allowing you to play just the sort of character you want.
- Brims with new feats, spells, magic items, technological devices, and other abilities and items to decimate your opponents.
- Contains information on the fifteen factions unaffiliated with the Alliance or Horde, including their leaders and strategies, narrated by famed dwarven explorer Brann Bronzebeard.
- Includes two adventures to challenge heroes of any affiliation.
Dark Factions is a supplement for the World of Warcraft Roleplaying Game.
Dark Factions is unofficially subtitled the "Independent Player's Guide", because it's like the Alliance and Horde Player's Guides, but for independent factions and races...One of the races we cover is the pandaren. You'll see the pandaren written up as a new race, as well as at least one racial iconic class for them: the Wardancer. There's also a couple prestige classes designed with pandaren in mind. A Pandaren prestige class is the Brewmaster, based on the hero unit in Warcraft 3. The other one is called the Pandaren Transcendent. Here's a quote:
"These are the pandaren's ultimate heroes: Spiritual avatars capable of summoning vast storms of lighting, smashing mountains with their terrible fists, and breathing winds into existence."
By the way, I should mention that Dark Factions isn't quite set in stone; everything I mention about it could, theoretically, change.-Luke Johnson, 2006-11-08
Table of Contents
Listed below are articles confirmed to be in the book. (Note that some of the page numbers might be slightly off.)
Monster Guide References
This is a list of things that differ from the index list.
- Mur'gul Shadowcaster (doesn't appear in Dark Factions, may have changed into the "mur'gul necromancer".)
- Chain Mail Barding of Speed
Hinted at for future supplements;
- Forgotten one (Found in a list of monsters in Monster Guide, a single reference in Dark Factions, removed from final product .)
- Spell Breaker (class mentioned in Monster Guide)
- Blood elf, Racial Levels: Unlike humans and some other races, blood elves can take a few levels in "blood elf" as a class to develop their racial qualities more fully. See a future supplement for this class.
This section represents info mentioned and given game but not seen in the book. Perhaps these were cut from the initial document , or planned to be included in a future book.
- Faceless ones (removed due to Wrath of the Lich King development, a single racial is mentioned in Dark Factions)
- Pit lords (removed due to The Burning Crusade development)
A history of delays
According to comments by Luke Johnson the book was finished long before the release of the Naxxrammas patch, and the release of The Burning Crusade, but then delayed for a long period.. Below is a history of those delays;
- First announced; 06 Nov 2006
- World of Warcraft: Dark Factions Copyright 2006, Blizzard Entertainment.
- World of Warcraft: Dark Factions Copyright 2007, Blizzard Entertainment.
- World of Warcraft: Dark Factions Copyright 2008, Blizzard Entertainment.
- Released May 2008.
- ^ White Wolf Online Catalog — World of Warcraft: Dark Factions
- ^ Posted: Sat Mar 22, 2008 11:49 am; Post subject: Dark Factions Table of Contents
- ^ Blizzard Entertainment. Monster Guide, 168. ISBN 9781588469366.
- ^ a b Blizzard Entertainment. Monster Guide, 157. ISBN 9781588469366.
- ^ a b Blizzard Entertainment. Monster Guide, 209. ISBN 9781588469366.
- ^ Blizzard Entertainment. Monster Guide, 210. ISBN 9781588469366.
- ^ Blizzard Entertainment. Monster Guide, 5, 209. ISBN 9781588469366.
- ^ a b Blizzard Entertainment. Monster Guide, 65. ISBN 9781588469366.
- ^ Blizzard Entertainment. Monster Guide, 2. ISBN 9781588469366.
- ^ Bennie, Scott; Richard Farrese, Bob Fitch. Horde Player's Guide, 2. ISBN 9781588467720.
- ^ Blizzard Entertainment. Monster Guide Web Supplement, 2. ISBN 1300002129.