This item drops from Scalding Whelps in the Badlands and from Searing Whelps in the Dustwallow Marsh. The Badlands is the place of choice as the Dustwallow Marsh whelps are mixed in with a lot of other mobs that don't drop the pet. On the flip side, you will probably be dealing with more competition at the Badlands on more populated servers.
Hopes that someday it can grow up to destroy villages.
- Dragonkin: Deals 50% additional damage on the next round after bringing a target's health below 50%.
- +50% damage from -33% damage from
|Level 1||Level 2||Level 4|
|Level 10||Level 15||Level 20|
The drop rate of this pet is 0.1% (one in every thousand kills) and takes an incredible amount of patience and determination in order to get one. Due to the difficulty of obtaining one, and thus their rarity, they can sell for fairly large amounts of gold on the Auction House, at least as far as pets are concerned. The table below shows the cumulative probability of getting at least one after a number of kills.
|Number of Kills||100||288||401||693||1386||2302||2995||4603||9206|
|Neither the drop rate nor cumulative probability increases based on the number of monsters you have already killed.|
The Dark Whelpling is the only whelp to retain it's original drop location after the Shattering.
- Patch 2.4.3 (2008-07-15):
- Now makes a sound when clicked on.
- Icon changed.
- Patch 1.4.0 (2005-05-05): Tiny Black Whelping item changed to Dark Whelpling to reflect the name of the creature summoned.