Hello there! We are conducting a survey to better understand the user experience in making a first edit. If you have ever made an edit on Gamepedia, please fill out the survey. Thank you!
Darkmaster Gandling (original)
|The subject of this article was removed from World of Warcraft in patch 5.0.4.
- For information about the Mists of Pandaria encounter, see Darkmaster Gandling.
|Occupation||Headmaster of Scholomance|
|Location||Headmaster's Study, Scholomance|
Darkmaster Gandling is the final boss in Scholomance. He is not, arguably, the most difficult boss nor is he the owner of it like Lord Alexei Barov. He is, however, the headmaster of the School of Necromancy at Caer Darrow, appointed personally by Kel'Thuzad.
Gandling appears after the six bosses and all human mobs found in the six chambers around the Headmaster's Study are slain. The bosses are Lord Alexei Barov, Doctor Theolen Krastinov, The Ravenian, Lorekeeper Polkelt, Instructor Malicia and the Lady Illucia Barov.
Gandling is a 43 elite caster boss. He casts Shadow Portal, a spell that teleports a random member of the group into a room with 3-4 level 40 non-elite mobs. That member must clear the room alone before the door to the rest of the instance opens and he is released (unless you can run past the mob without catching aggro). Those mobs do not vanish nor does the room open automatically upon Gandling's death. Despite their high level, each mob has very low stamina, taking only a few hits.
Gandling will spawn even if trash mobs remain in Shadow Vault, Vault of the Ravenian, Hall of Secrets, Barov Family Vault, and Hall of the Damned, however the trash must be cleared in the The Coven in order for him to spawn. Because he will teleport even solo adventurers to those halls during the fight, it remains wise to clear all of them.
Other spells he casts are:
- Arcane Missiles - Launches magical missiles at an enemy, inflicting Arcane damage.
- Curse of the Darkmaster - Reduces an enemy's Strength by 35 and Stamina by 35 for 20 sec.
- Shadow Shield - Surrounds the caster with a shield woven of Shadow magic. The shield lasts 30 sec. and absorbs damage.
- School is in session!
- Patch 5.0.4 (2012-08-28): Updated in Mists of Pandaria.
- Patch 4.0.3a (2010-11-23): Level reduced from 61 to 43.
Araj the Summoner
Headmaster of the Scholomance