- For the Darkmoon Faire faction and event information, see Darkmoon Faire (faction). For the event prior to patch 4.3.0, see Darkmoon Faire (original).
Southern Darkmoon Island
Active (first week every month)
- Ahead of You, Down the Path
- A Majestic, Magical Faire!
- Ignore the Darkened, Eerie Woods
- Ignore the Eyes That Blink and Stare
- Fun & Games & Wondrous Sights!
- Music & Fireworks to Light Up the Night!
- Do Not Stop! You're Nearly There!
- Behold, My Friend: THE DARKMOON FAIRE!
- —Arrow signs along the Darkmoon Path guiding visitors to the fairegrounds
The Darkmoon Faire (or the Darkmoon Theater Troupe) is a large gathering of activities on the southern area of Darkmoon Island, brought together by Silas Darkmoon. The faire opens on the first Sunday after the first Saturday of the month at 3 AM realm time and lasts for one week. At the conclusion of that week, players on the island are automatically teleported off the island, back to Elwynn Forest/Mulgore.
Prior to Patch 4.3.0, the Darkmoon Faire could be found at one of three locations: Outside Goldshire in Elwynn Forest, outside Thunder Bluff in Mulgore, and on the outskirts of Shattrath City in Outland's Terokkar Forest.
Attendees can complete daily quests associated with each sideshow game to win a containing a and possibly another prize. Each game requires a which is purchasable from vendors scattered throughout the faire. Tokens and prize tickets are also rewarded from once-per-faire profession-specific quests, which grant +5 skill in the appropriate profession. Prize tickets can be used to purchase pets, mounts, vanity items, heirlooms, and replica armor for use in transmogrification. Plus, there's a carousel that boosts experience and reputation gain.
- 1 Traveling to and from the Faire
- 2 Additions
- 3 Collectables
- 4 Sideshow games
- 5 Profession quests
- 6 Other activities
- 7 Ticket redemption
- 8 Refreshments
- 9 Pavilions
- 10 NPCs
- 11 Achievements
- 12 Gallery
- 13 Videos
- 14 Notes
- 15 Patches and hotfixes
- 16 References
- 17 External links
Traveling to and from the Faire
The Darkmoon Faire showcases the weird and extraordinary. Gathering the exotic from around the world, Silas Darkmoon presents the Darkmoon Faire as a celebration of the wonders and mysteries found in Azeroth. The faire spends most of its time in parts unknown but is available from time to time by accessing portals in Elwynn Forest and Mulgore.
Players can reach Darkmoon Island via the portal in the Darkmoon Faire Staging Grounds that are set up near one of their major cities:
- The Alliance Darkmoon Faire Staging Grounds are in Elwynn Forest, just south of the crossroads in Goldshire, which in turn is just down the road from Stormwind.
- The Darkmoon Faire Staging Grounds for the Horde are in Mulgore, just southwest of Thunder Bluff. They're reachable without flying by taking the western lift down from the city.
To quickly get to the staging grounds, players may speak to Darkmoon Faire Mystic Mage located in each major city to for a teleport - they charge a low price that varies by character level. Once on the Island, the Darkmoon Path leads down the ridge to the Faire to the south, and mounts are provided for players who are too low level for standard riding.
Players need only travel to the southernmost point of the island, to the Darkmoon Boardwalk, where a "Portal Back" is under a small tent. The portal returns players to the staging grounds in either Elwynn Forest or Mulgore, depending on faction. There is a similar portal at the start of the Darkmoon Path for players who arrive on the island only to remember they forgot something (such as materials for the various profession quests at the Faire).
New in patch 8.1.5
- A rollercoaster ride added.
New in patch 8.0
- was removed.
- Profession quests (except Archeology) award 5 skill points only to classic tier of professions.
- for 50 from Stamp Thunderhorn.
New in patch 7.2.5
- Blight Boar band, plays every hour at 30 minutes past:
New in patch 7.0
- , for 150 from Boomie Sparks, sets off fireworks for 15 seconds when your mount jumps.
- New vendor
- The Scarlet Quartermaster, located behind the Zoo sells three items if player has equipped.
New in patch 6.2
- Hogs awarded from , available by earning 45 points in a single session of Whack-a-Gnoll
- New vendor Galissa Sundew on the docks that sells:
- can be caught on the shores of the island and used as a currency.
- New elixirs from the and the new :
New in patch 6.1
- New sideshow attraction: The Darkmoon Races! All players have the same race vehicle each day, but the available vehicles and races change from month to month, giving opportunity for different strategies for each vehicle (and plenty of achievements!). The race comes in two lengths: "real", and "big", with four racing vehicle types. See Darkmoon Racer Roadhog for one strategy to win the race in the minimum time:
- New achievements for old attractions:
- Heirloom costs drastically reduced 110 → 50
- sold by Chester for 90 (Garrison Jukebox)
New in patch 6.0
- New sideshow attraction: The Firebird's Challenge - Ten seconds of flight to fly through 15 floating rings (each ring refreshes the 10-sec flight buff), with achievements available for 10, 25, and 50 rings flown through in a single session to earn some achievements and the toy.
- Chester has some new goodies for sale, including the (for 90 ) and the (for 130 ).
- New Grand Master Pet Tamer, Christoph VonFeasel, with party Mr. Pointy, Syd, and Otto. He may have the in the awarded for winning the fight.
- The , , , and now all count as toys in the Toy Box.
- World bosses (the Darkmoon Rabbit and Moonfang) are now level 103
- Level 102 elite Erinys is found in the newly-named Cavern of Lament off the eastern shore of Darkmoon Island. She drops the , a quest-starting item for level 100 quest , which rewards the Toy Box item
21 battle pets are available from the Darkmoon Faire.
Two can be obtained from defeating the pet tamers:
Two pets drop from world bosses:
One pet can be fished up:
Two pets can be purchased from Flik for 1:
Two pets can be purchased from Galissa Sundew:
One pet is a quest reward:
Two pets are achievement rewards:
Two wild pets can be captured:
Thirteen toys are available during the Darkmoon Faire.
Four are available for purchase:
One is a (level 100) quest reward:
Six are achievement rewards:
Two are boss drops (or found on the Auction House):
The Darkmoon Faire contains several sideshow-inspired minigames. Each minigame costs one to play for a fixed amount of time. Each one also has has an associated repeatable quest which can be completed over the course of multiple play sessions - or a single one, with enough luck or skill. Completing each quest awards one .
The Darkmoon Cannon
Located across from the Eastern Pavilion, the Blastenheimer 5000 Ultra Cannon, owned by Maxima Blastenheimer, launches guests through the air towards a target sitting in the waters near the boardwalk south of the faire grounds. Getting a bullseye earns 5 points, landing close to it earns 3 points, and getting near it earns 1 point. A mage is located on the beach next to the target and will teleport anyone who has recently launched from the cannon back for additional attempts, or simply to continue their Faire-going...for a price.
Located next to the Southern Pavilion, this game provides guests with 10 rings in which to toss onto the pole attached to Dubenko, a turtle in a large circular pen. Dubenko moves a few yards from time to time, and the ring toss itself is not entirely precise. Jessica Rogers runs the game and provides the associated quest, , which asks for 3 rings on the pole.
In Patch 6.1, a new achievement was added: , which is awarded for a perfect run of getting all 10 rings on the turtle. The achievement awards the toy. See the achievement article for a strategy.
Located next to the Western Pavilion, Rinling has finally opened his shooting gallery after years of collecting engineering parts for his equipment. Guests are given a pellet rifle to shoot the targets that light up. Players will have 60 seconds to earn 25 points, which completes the quest, .
- You have to manually turn your body to face the target you want to shoot.
- A Quick Shot is earned by shooting a target right after it lights up. This awards two points and the achievement.
- The reload on the rifles is fast enough that unlagged players can fire twice on the same target (three times if a Quick Shot is made) before it deactivates and stops granting points.
Located next to the pastry tent, guests are given a steam tonk controller with which to pilot their tonks, within a "town" modeled with small paper buildings and surrounded by a fence. Players will have 60 seconds to destroy 30 targets, while being attacked by enemy tonks and MiniZeps at the same time. Finlay Coolshot runs the game and offers .
In Patch 6.1, a new achievement was added: , which is awarded for getting 45 points in a single run (more than the 30 needed for the quest). This achievement awards the toy.
Located near the entrance, guests receive a mallet to whack some stuffed gnolls that pop out of nine barrels in the area. Players will have 60 seconds to earn 30 points. The gnolls come in three types: normal, Hogger, and baby, awarding 1 point, 3 points, or a knockdown, respectively. Mola runs the game and gives the quest .
In patch 6.2, the achievement was added. It requires scoring 45 points in a single session of Whack-a-Gnoll and rewards .
New in Warlords of Draenor, near the fireworks vendor, guests are given ten seconds of flight and tasked to fly through 15 floating rings of fire, which are spread out all over Darkmoon Island (and not just the Faire area). Each fire ring flown through refreshes the 10-second flight timer. Fly through 10, 20, or 50 rings in a single Darkmoon Game Token-costing session to earn achievements: , , and , respectively. Completing the Brood of Alysrazor achievement awards the toy . Ziggie Sparks runs the game and gives the quest .
Added in Patch 6.1, Malle Earnhard runs the Darkmoon Races, starting at the boardwalk. The objective is to make it from the start/finish line to a set number of colored checkpoints, and then back to the finish line in as few bell tolls as possible, while taking advantage of speed and jump boosts and avoiding electrified fences.
There are a few quests:
Wait, speed boosts? There are a number of power-ups, which can be triggered by running over objects on the race course, including:
- Speed Boost (boot) - +100% movement speed
- Super Jump (spring) - launch about 50 yards forward in the direction of motion
While racing, players have access to a special ability while on the Racing Strider.
- Jump To Banner 100 yd range — Jumps to a banner and grants immunity to hazards for 4 sec. Instant (10 sec cooldown)
The Real Race is timed, and there are achievements awarded for completing the race in a set amount of time:
Each month, a new wrinkle is added. Old options are still available, and achievements are possible using each combination
- The Real Race, with the Racing Strider
- The Real Big Race is added, with the Rocketeer
- The Wanderluster is added
- The Powermonger is added
Here is the map for "The Real Race":
The Darkmoon Faire offers a quest corresponding to each primary and secondary profession. These can only be completed once per monthly faire, and only by players who have the corresponding profession. Some quests can be completed at the faire, and some require ingredients imported from outside the faire, but Archaeology is the only one that asks for anything that cannot be purchased at a goods vendor near the Faire Staging Areas. Completing each quest awards one , a few Darkmoon Prize Tickets, and 5 skill points in the associated profession!
All the profession quests require the player's skill level to be at least 75 in order to see the following quests.
|Profession||Quest||Reward||Required external items|
|Leatherworking||4||5 , 10 , 5|
An important function of the Darkmoon Faire is to allow the return of decks of Darkmoon Cards. These are collectible sets of cards which may be created through inscription or (for level 60 and level 70 cards) found as loot. When all the cards in a set are collected, they form a deck. Higher-level decks may be returned to The Darkmoon Faire for an epic trinket. Lower-level decks reward the returner with more modest items. Returning any kind of deck also awards reputation with the Darkmoon Faire.
Refer to Darkmoon Cards for a complete list of the rewards, and the sources of the cards.
- See also: Sayge's Fortunes
Located between the Southern Pavilion and the Ring Toss, Sayge, a wise gnoll, will give guests a fortune after answering a couple of questions. With this fortune guests are given a buff, which will depend on the answers given. This buff lasts two hours.
Test Your Strength
Kerri Hicks challenges adventurers to go forth and challenge worthy opponents and bring back trophies of your victories to show just how strong you can be. She offers the quest , which requires the to be in the bags. Kerri gives 10 prize tickets for bringing back 250 trophies.
It is anticipated that players will carry the adventurer's guide with them even when the faire is not accessible to keep accumulating artifacts and trophies to turn in when the faire returns.
Darkmoon Zoo Bizarre
Near the end of the faire, is the zoo, which is run by Yebb Neblegear. The zoo contains many animals and even a petting area with penguins, bush chickens, rams, and even ponies. The rams and ponies can also be ridden. There's a special VIP waiting area in which random VIPs wait for a tour. Oddly, Yebb calls his zoo a "Bizarre" rather than a Bazaar.
Respond to /pet, /pat, and /hug
VIP guests that occasionally appear
Located at the Deathmatch Pavilion, contestants compete every three hours (starting at midnight) for a chance at the Darkmoon Treasure Chest. Enter through the gate at any time to enter the contest, or for some free for all action, even when no prize is available.
Korgol Crushskull will announce when the chest is soon to appear.
Just south of the Shooting Gallery where the Tonk Free-for-All originally was is a spectator ring, with Gilnean Master Pet Tamer Jeremy Feasel ready to take on all challengers. You may challenge Feasel once a day with one for a bag of . There is a rare chance of getting a new companion from the bag, the . The associated quest is .
In 6.0, Christoph VonFeasel has appeared to show up Jeremy. Use a Darkmoon Game Token and defeat Cristoph to receive a bag of . Rarely in the bag is magical pet . The associated quest is .
- Rode the Darkmoon carousel. Experience and Reputation gains increased by 10%.
- Duration: 5 - 60 minutes
The Darkmoon carousel has been installed between The Darkmoon Cannon and the Shooting Gallery. For 50 to 1, varying by level, Kae Ti sells a , which contains five Darkmoon Ride Tickets. Stepping onto or riding the carousel will grant the WHEE! buff, granting +10% to reputation and experience gains, the duration of which will increase in 5 minute increments every couple seconds the Carousel is ridden up to a maximum of 1 hour. Players will be teleported out of the area if they have no ticket, in the same way they are removed from the sideshow areas without having started (or at the end of) the respective game.
Tickets are consumed when a fresh buff is granted (without having one yet or after it has expired), whereas returning before the buff falls off allows refreshing of the duration without paying a new ticket. You are still required to have a ticket with you in order to enter the area, so each character that plans to employ the buff during the event needs 2 tickets, one to get in the first time, and one to refresh the duration. The tickets are not soulbound and can therefore be sent to alts accordingly.
A children's sandbox is located at the northeastern side of the fairgrounds. It contains several rideable Sandbox Tigers, which function identically to Darkmoon "Tiger"s. Around the sandbox are four tonk controllers, available for free-for-all matches.
The Tauren Chieftains' concert
Players equipped with a have the opportunity to obtain artifacts that are occasionally dropped by instance bosses and enemy players. These artifacts can be accumulated even when the Faire is not active, and start quests to turn themselves in to Professor Thaddeus Paleo (for the most part - Sayge and Yebb Neblegear each also accept one item). Each of the nine can only be redeemed once per Faire, but all nine items may be turned in each month, and reward Darkmoon Prize Tickets for every one. Completing all nine quests awards the achievement, including 2 sub-achievements for the dungeon-specific and PvP-specific drops separately.
|Quest||Starting item||Reward||Related achievement||Source|
Gryvern roller coaster
There are two world bosses on Darkmoon Island, Moonfang, a wolf that frequently spawns in the western forest, west of the main faire area, and the Darkmoon Rabbit, which rarely spawns in a cave on the southeastern shore of the island. Both will require a raid to defeat.
Since the Faire is the only time they have access to it, players should make sure to explore the non-Faire portions of Darkmoon Island while they have a chance. The island's waters offer an impossible variety of fish appropriate to each fishing level and the chance to hook a , as well as Shipwreck Debris for those searching for a more unusual catch.
- Main article: Darkmoon Prize Ticket
The tickets earned by completing quests can be redeemed for a variety of vanity items and heirlooms from vendors near the center of the Faire. Lhara sells companion pets and mounts, while Gelvas Grimegate offers souvenirs and toys, including two transmogrification items, a 16-slot bag, Darkmoon Top Hats, and another companion pet. Daenrand Dawncrest makes all Justice Heirlooms available, and Barum and Baruma will exchange tickets for numerous replica items. Additionally, Rona Greenteeth will trade for two legs of old mutton usable as maces, at her food cart in the woods outside the Faire. See the ticket page for full item lists.
There's three booths found at the faire for refreshments:
- The Food Stand
- Run by Stamp Thunderhorn, he offers decent food for hungry guests
- The Drink Stand
- Run by Sylannia, she offers the usual beverages for thirsty guests
- The Dessert Stand
- Run by Aimee, which has traveled all the way from Dalaran in order to provided the best treats to the guests.
Unfortunately, the eating area and booths were built right next to the Tonk Challenge game, offering very little quiet while trying to enjoy your meal.
There is also a more questionable food wagon, just west of the faire in the nearby woods, that is run by Rona Greenteeth. She sells food that she has caught herself and made into dishes that may give customers pause.
Currently nothing exists in any pavilion and are currently under construction, except for the Deathmatch Pavilion.
|Attend the Darkmoon Faire.||5|
|Score a bullseye when launched from the Darkmoon Cannon.||10|
|Win the Darkmoon Deathmatch and receive a trinket.||10|
|Win the Darkmoon Deathmatch twelve times and receive a trinket.||20|
|Turn in all five dungeon Darkmoon Artifacts.||10|
|Turn in all three battleground Darkmoon Artifacts.||10|
|Turn in all nine Darkmoon Artifacts.||10|
|Complete at least six profession-based quests at the Darkmoon Faire.||10|
|Consume one of every Darkmoon food and drink.||10|
|Ride a Darkmoon Pony.||5|
|Score a Quick Shot at the Shooting Gallery.||10|
|Play five different Darkmoon games.||10|
|Launch off Darkmoon Fireworks in every friendly capital city.||10|
|Slay the ferocious Darkmoon Rabbit.||10|
|Collect 10 Blazing Rings in one flight session of Firebird's Challenge.||10|
|Collect 25 Blazing Rings in one flight session of Firebird's Challenge.||10|
|Collect 50 Blazing Rings in one flight session of Firebird's Challenge.||10 and Reward:|
|Score 45 hits in one session of the Tonk Challenge.||10 and Reward:|
|Successfully toss 10 rings onto Dubenko the Darkmoon Turtle in one session of the Ring Toss.||10 and Reward:|
|Score 45 points in one session of Whack-a-Gnoll.||10 and Reward:|
|Successfully complete your first Darkmoon Race||5|
|Complete The Real Race with the Racing Strider within 25 tolls.||5|
|Complete The Real Race with the Racing Strider within 20 tolls.||5|
|Complete The Real Race with the Racing Strider within 15 tolls.||5|
|Complete The Real Race with the Racing Strider within 11 tolls.||5 and Reward:|
|Complete The Real Race with the Rocketeer within 25 tolls.||5|
|Complete The Real Race with the Rocketeer within 20 tolls.||5|
|Complete The Real Race with the Rocketeer within 15 tolls.||5|
|Complete The Real Race with the Rocketeer within 11 tolls.||5 and Reward:|
|Complete The Real Race with the Wanderluster within 25 tolls.||5|
|Complete The Real Big Race with the Wanderluster within 20 tolls.||5|
|Complete The Real Big Race with the Wanderluster within 15 tolls.||5|
|Complete The Real Big Race with the Wanderluster within 11 tolls.||5 and Reward:|
|Complete The Real Race with the Powermonger within 25 tolls.||5|
|Complete The Real Race with the Powermonger within 20 tolls.||5|
|Complete The Real Race with the Powermonger within 15 tolls.||5|
|Complete The Real Race with the Powermonger within 11 tolls.||5 and Reward:|
|Complete The Real Big Race with the Racing Strider within 40 tolls.||5|
|Complete The Real Big Race with the Racing Strider within 35 tolls.||5|
|Complete The Real Big Race with the Racing Strider within 30 tolls.||5|
|Complete The Real Big Race with the Racing Strider within 25 tolls.||5|
|Complete The Real Big Race with the Racing Strider within 20 tolls.||5 and Reward:|
|Complete The Real Big Race with the Rocketeer within 40 tolls.||5|
|Complete The Real Big Race with the Rocketeer within 30 tolls.||5|
|Complete The Real Big Race with the Rocketeer within 25 tolls.||5|
|Complete The Real Big Race with the Rocketeer within 20 tolls.||5 and Reward:|
|Complete The Real Big Race with the Wanderluster within 40 tolls.||5|
|Complete The Real Big Race with the Wanderluster within 30 tolls.||5|
|Complete The Real Big Race with the Wanderluster within 25 tolls.||5|
|Complete The Real Big Race with the Wanderluster within 20 tolls.||5 and Reward:|
|Complete The Real Big Race with the Powermonger within 40 tolls.||5|
|Complete The Real Big Race with the Powermonger within 30 tolls.||5|
|Complete The Real Big Race with the Powermonger within 25 tolls.||5|
|Complete The Real Big Race with the Powermonger within 20 tolls.||5 and Reward:|
|Stay aloft with the Wanderluster's Glider for more than 10 seconds.||5|
|Participate in the Blight Boar concert.||5|
|Don't allow any ghouls to reach Devlynn Styx during the Blight Boar concert.||5|
|Participate in a perfect performance of the Blight Boar concert.||10|
|Have each of the band's roles assigned to you after participating in the Blight Boar concert.||10|
- If players visit the faire all 7 days, they have the chance to earn up to 162 prize tickets a month.
- Without getting any artifacts, it would take approximately 3 months to earn enough for one mount and about 15 months to earn enough tickets to buy both mounts and the six companion pets.
- The faire features as an attraction in the Blizzard World in-universe map in Overwatch, but is not seen in the in-game map itself.
Patches and hotfixes
- Patch 8.1.0 (2018-12-11): Darkmoon Faire quest-based skillups now apply automatically to the most recent expansion profession progress that is not at its maximum.
- Patch 8.0.1 (2018-07-17): Profession quests now only apply skill-ups to the Classic module.
- Hotfix (2014-11-03): "
- Reduced the levels of Moonfang, Moonfang Packmate, Moonfang Dreadhowl, Moonfang Snarler, and Darkmoon Rabbit back to pre-Warlords expansion levels. The creatures needs to respawn for the changes to take effect.
- Heirloom items sold at the Darkmoon Faire should no longer have a gold cost associated with them.
- : Blazing Rings are no longer shared with other players.
- : Characters that have been flagged as PvP enabled should now be able to complete the quest."
- Patch 6.0.2 (2014-10-14): Firebird's Challenge and Christoph VonFeasel added.
- Patch 5.1.0 (2012-11-27): Pet battle trainer (Jeremy Feasel) and carousel added.
- Hotfix (2012-02-02): "
- Hotfix (2012-01-09): "Players should now be able to complete the quests "" and "" after having completed them in a previous month."
- Hotfix (2011-12-06): "Darkmoon Faire revelers who enter an off-limits area in ghost form should now be properly ported out."
- Patch 4.3.0 (2011-11-29): Completely revamped and moved to Darkmoon Island.