- For the demon hunter talent, see . For the former priest talent, see . For the Hearthstone card, see The Darkness.
References to an apparent individual called Darkness are a running joke that began in various character quotations Warcraft III: Reign of Chaos and continues in Heroes of the Storm. The joke has its origins when demon hunters said "darkness called," followed by a game of phone tag through the quotes of other characters.
- Demon Hunter: "Darkness called... But I was on the phone, so I missed him. I tried to *69-Darkness, but his machine picked up. I yelled "Pick up the phone, Darkness!," but he ignored me. Darkness must have been screening his calls."
- Dreadlord: (phone rings) "Yes? Darkness, hey, what's up? The Demon Hunter left you a message? No I don't have his number."
- Tichondrius: "Darkness... needs to get DSL. His line is always busy."
- Arthas Menethil: "Who is this 'darkness' anyway?"
World of Warcraft
This section concerns content related to the original World of Warcraft.
- Blood elf males have a
/sillyjoke where they say "Darkness called... but I wasn't home, heh... so he left a message."
Heroes of the Storm
- Arthas: "Darkness stopped calling. It's alright, though. We're still friends through Real ID."
- Crown Prince Arthas: (phone rings) "I'm sorry, I have to take this." (answers the phone) "Darkness! How's it - wait, what? Oh. Yeah, there're a lot of demon hunters now, that was bound to happen. I agree, I agree, it's very confusing. L-look, I gotta go, I'm in the middle of a thing here. Yeah, yeah, no, we'll hang out soon. Okay, bye."
- Illidan: (text message sounds) "Hold on. Darkness just texted me."
- Leoric: "Darkness follows me. I follow him too, but he doesn't post much."
- Space Lord Leoric: "Never underestimate the power of the Darkness. Seriously, don't. Darkness gets all passive aggressive about it. Leaves little sticky notes everywhere."
- Li-Ming: "I once cast magic missile into the Darkness. Boy was he sore about it."
- Malfurion: "I sense Darkness in the dreamways. You know, I haven't seen him in a while. I should go say hello."
- Valla: (music ringtone) "Hello? Who is this? I don't know any "Darkness". Look, I think you've got the wrong demon hunter. Yeah. Yeah, good bye."
- Zeratul: "Darkness is my ally... but we keep it casual. The Void is a jealous mistress."
- Gul'dan: "Poke not the Darkness, lest the Darkness poke you."
- Gul'dan: "I am Darkness Incarnate! Soon you shall all..." (phone ringing) "Always the worst timing. I'm so sorry, hold on... Who is this? Darkness who? Oh. Umm... hmm... okay. I'm being sued for trademark infringement. Now that's evil."
- Kel'Thuzad: "The Darkness guides me. He's the only one with GPS, after all."
- Mal'Ganis: "(phone ringing) Yes? Oh, hello Darkness, my old friend, have you called to talk to me again? (sigh) No, I still don't have the demon hunter's number. Ask the other one!"