|This article or section needs to be cleaned up to a higher standard of quality.|
Darnassian (also called Darnassae, Kaldorei and elvish) is the primary language of the night elves. There are two specific dialects: Darnassian, the current language; and an older script, a strange dialect, that can be found in ancient night elf ruins (perhaps Elven).
The naga, high elves, blood elves, and nightborne are descended from night elves, so Darnassian bears some resemblance to the Nazja, Thalassian, and unnamed Suramar languages. There are, however, strong ideological differences between the night elves and their distant kin. Thus, a linguist must take great care in drawing comparisons between Darnassian and its two cousin languages. Night elves tend to consider such comparisons offensive.
This is one of the four elven dialects.
Darnassian primer (official translations)
Here are a few common Darnassian phrases and words, for which the translations have been officially confirmed by Blizzard:
- = Frostsoul.
- Alara'shinu = Finding Beauty in Imperfection.
- An'da = Papa/Father.
- Andrassil = Crown of the Snow.
- Alor'el = Lover's Leaf.
- Ande'thoras-ethil = May your troubles be diminished. (A farewell.)
- Andu-falah-dor = Let balance be restored. (A war cry.)
- Anu'dorini Talah = Let my will be known. - Yelled as a warcry by in Warcraft III, said by the Voice of Elune, and used to open the Vault of the Wardens.
- Ash Karath = Do it.
- Bandu Thoribas = Prepare to fight. (A challenge to an enemy.)
- Ellemayne = Reaver.
- Elune-Adore = Elune be with you. (A greeting.)
- Elun'dris = the Eye of Elune.
- Fandu-dath-belore? = Who goes there?
- Ishnu-alah = Good fortune to you. (A greeting.)
- Ishnu-dal-dieb = Good fortune to your family. (A greeting.)
- = Noble blade of Elune.
- Kaldorei = Children of the Stars, People of the Stars. (Starborne, night elves).
- Lathar'Lazal = Seat of the Sky.
- Min'da = Mama/Mother.
- Nahlen'do = Master of the Fang (refers to the wielder of the ).
- Nordrassil = Crown of the Heavens.
- Quel'dorei = Children of Noble Birth (Highborne, High-borne, high elves).
- Ru shallora enudoril = I anoint these caretakers of the wild. - Said by the Voice of Elune.
- Shaha lor'ma = Thank you.
- Shalla'tor = Shadow Render.
- Shal'nar = Aunt.
- Shan'do = Honored Teacher. (A title and term of respect.)
- Shanna melor'ne adala fal = The truth is a guiding light.
- Shen'dralar = Those Who Remain Hidden.
- Sunstrider = He who walks the day.
- Teldrassil = Crown of the Earth.
- Thero'shan = Honored student. (A title and term of respect.)
- Tor ilisar'thera'nal = Let our enemies beware. (A war cry.)
- Vordrassil = Broken Crown.
- Xaxas = A short title with many meanings, all dire. "Chaos", "fury", "The embodiment of elemental rage, such as found in erupting volcanos or shattering earthquakes", "elemental fury", "catastrophe". Often used to refer to the black dragon Aspect .
- Zin-Azshari = The glory of Azshara.
Non-translated Darnassian words or phrases
- Al'ameth - A lake in southeastern Teldrassil.
- Aldrassil - An inhabited tree in northeastern Teldrassil.
- Ameth'Aran - Former night elven city in Darkshore.
- Aludala - Said by Druids of the Claw in Warcraft III.
- Anada Felra - Said by in Warcraft III.
- Anato retetour - Said by Demon Hunters in Warcraft III.
- Anu'dora! - Yelled by Tyrande in Warcraft III and Heroes of the Storm as well as upon leading her Sentinels into battle after the 's defeat during the Siege of Orgrimmar.
- Anu Dorah - Used to close the inscriptions of the readable memorial plaques of Tel'anor, in Suramar. Accompanied by "I/We remember."
- Anu therador mali - Said by Tyrande in Warcraft III and Heroes of the Storm.
- Ara-Hinam - A night elven village, long since destroyed.
- Arauk-Nashal - A location on the Broken Isles.
- Arlithrien - Pools in southwestern Teldrassil.
- Ashbalanol - Said by Wardens in Warcraft III.
- Ashre thoraman - Said by Tyrande in Warcraft III.
- Ash'thero danador - Said by in Warcraft III and Heroes of the Storm.
- Astranaar - Night elven town in Ashenvale.
- Bashal'Aran - Former night elven city in Darkshore.
- Ban'ethil - A barrow den in central Teldrassil.
- Bathel'daelune - Said by Wardens in Warcraft III.
- Constellas - A former night elven settlement in Felwood.
- Darnassus - The current capital of the night elves.
- Deronica - Said by Demon Hunters in Warcraft III.
- Dolanaar - Night elven town in central Teldrassil.
- Dor'Danil - Barrow den in eastern Ashenvale.
- Eldara - Tower in northeastern Azshara.
- Eldarath - A ruined city in Azshara.
- Eldre'Thalas - Dire Maul.
- Elune'ara - A lake in Moonglade.
- Enshu-falah-nah, dorini. - Said by on the . Possibly Thalassian.
- Enu thora'serador - Said by a during
- Ethel Rethor - A tower in western Desolace.
- Falathim - Lake in western Ashenvale.
- Falfarren - River in central Ashenvale.
- Feralas - Lush jungle in southwestern Kalimdor.
- Hinduli rethal - Said by Tyrande in Warcraft III and Heroes of the Storm.
- Hyjal - Historical mountain in northern Kalimdor, sacred to the Wild Gods, upon which Nordrassil grows.
- Isildien - Night elf ruins in southern Feralas.
- Izal-Shurah - A great highborne library in the city of Suramar.
- Jademir - A lake in northern Feralas.
- Kalidar - Alleged former name of island currently known as Teldrassil.
- Kel'Theril - Former night elven city in Winterspring.
- Lariss - A pavilion in northeastern Feralas.
- Loreth'Aran - A night elven ruin on Bloodmyst Isle.
- Mathystra - Former night elven city in Darkshore.
- Mennar - Lake in southern Azshara.
- Mazthoril - A cave in Winterspring.
- Morlos'Aran - A former night elven city in Felwood.
- Mystral - Lake in southern Ashenvale.
- Oneiros - Night elven ruins in northern Feralas.
- Ordil'Aran - Former night elven city in Ashenvale.
- Rut'theran - A village in southern Teldrassil.
- Sar'theris - A beach on the coast of Desolace.
- Sardor - Island off the Feralas coast.
- Satyrnaar - A satyr town in eastern Ashenvale.
- Shal myrinan ishnu daldorah - An incantation used by to assemble the .
- Shaladrassil - A World Tree in Val'sharah.
- Shu dales-na - A death quote of Disturbed Spectres at Tel'anor. (Our people... shu dales-na.)
- Solarsal - Night elven ruins in Feralas.
- Suramar - Night elven city, jewel of the night elven empire, and home of the nightborne.
- Sylvanaar - A night elven town in Blade's Edge Mountains.
- Tal'doren - Home of the Druids of the Scythe in Blackwald in Gilneas. Also referred to as "the wild home", so it is highly likely that it's what the name Tal'doren means.
- Talrendis - A night elven camp in southwestern Azshara.
- Tethris Aran - A former night elven city in northern Desolace.
- Thalanaar - Night elven settlement in eastern Feralas.
- Thandae-alah - An aggro quote of Disturbed Spectres at Tel'anor.
- Tor falah-no dorah - Said by Malfurion in Warcraft III and Heroes of the Storm.
- Zin-Malor - Temple in Eldarath.
- Val'sharah - Forested region on the Broken Isles, sacred to all druids.
- Zin-al-Elune - In "Balancing the Scales"
In HearthstoneThis section concerns content exclusive to Hearthstone.
- Aluth neladar - A druidic attack spell commanding surrounding plants to fight on the speaker's behalf. Spoken by Elise the Trailblazer while attacking.
- Tel'zaxus Nalore! - No translation, spoken by Elise Starseeker during the Skelesaurus Hex boss encounter in the League of Explorers adventure.
In the RPGThis section concerns content exclusive to the Warcraft RPG and is considered non-canon.
- Allaminar! - Word of magic that creates a illumination spell, which causes a bright light.
- Keermissar! - Word of magic that causes three whirling magic stars to flash forth and strike an enemy.
Night elf names
Night elf names always have a special meaning. First names derive from an elven word or the name of a famous hero having a totemic or ancestral connection. Surnames are indicative of the family line and often date back millennia.
- Male: Ilthilior, Mellitharn, Khardona, Andissiel, Mardant, Tanavar.
- Female: Kaylai, Keina, Deliantha, Meridia, Freja, Alannaria, Nevarial.
- Family: Moonblade, Glaivestorm, Proudstrider, Oakwalker, Nightwing, Staghorn.
- See also: Darnassian (speculation)
This is the list of words created by the in-game language parser for the Darnassian language, and is listed as language number two (word range 101-202) in the Language text file.
Note: The language algorithm used by the in-game "translator" merely makes the words look like Darnassian. It does not actually use a specific dictionary. Therefore, translated in-game speech isn't true Darnassian.
|Number of letters in word||Word List|
|One-letter words||A, D, E, I, N, O|
|Two-letter words||Al, An, Da, Do, Lo, Ni, No, Ri, Su|
|Three-letter words||Ala, Ano, Anu, Ash, Dor, Dur, Fal, Nei, Nor, Osa, Tal, Tur|
|Four-letter words||Alah, Aman, Anar, Andu, Dath, Dieb, Diel, Fulo, Mush, Rini, Shar, Thus|
|Five-letter words||Adore, Balah, Bandu, Eburi, Fandu, Ishnu, Shano, Shari, Talah, Terro, Thera, Turus|
|Six-letter words||Asto're, Belore, Do'rah, Dorini, Ethala, Falla, Ishura, Man'ar, Neph'o, Shando, T'as'e, U'phol|
|Seven-letter words||Al'shar, Alah'ni, Aman'ni, Anoduna, Dor'Ano, Mush'al, Shan're|
|Eight-letter words||D'ana'no, Dal'dieb, Dorithur, Eraburis, Il'amare, Mandalas, Thoribas|
|Nine-letter words||Banthalos, Dath'anar, Dune'adah, Fala'andu, Neph'anis, Shari'fal, Thori'dal|
|Ten-letter words||Ash'therod, Dorados'no, Isera'duna, Shar'adore, Thero'shan|
|Eleven-letter words||Fandu'talah, Shari'adune|
|Twelve-letter words||Dor'ana'badu, T'ase'mushal|
|Fourteen-letter words||Anu'dorannador, Turus'il'amare|
|Fifteen-letter words||Asto're'dunadah, Shindu'falla'na|
|Seventeen-letter words||Ando'meth'derador, Anu'dorinni'talah, Esh'thero'mannash, Thoribas'no'thera|
Based on the primer above, one can draw several conclusions as to the meanings of specific words, suffixes and prefixes in the Darnassian language.
- "An" = "Snow"
- "Aran" = "Town"
- "Do" = "Teacher"
- "Dorei" = "Children", "Born of"
- "Drassil" = "Crown"
- "Dris" = "Eye"
- "Ishnu" = "Good fortune"
- "Kal" = "Star(s)"
- "-naar" = "Town"
- "Nor" = "Heavens"
- "Quel" = "High" or "Noble"
- "Shan" = "Honored"
- "Tel" = "Earth"
- "Thero" = "Student"
- "Vor" = "Broken"
- "Zin" = "Glory"
The novel Cycle of Hatred mentions "four elven dialects". The Naga, high elves, and blood elves all speak languages derived from Darnassian. The Naga (former Highborne elves), speak the language Nazja, which is as corrupted as the creatures who speak it. The language of the high elves, who were exiled from Kalimdor, changed into what is now known as Thalassian. It is also the language of the blood elves.
Darnassian, Thalassian, and Najza seem to have many common phrases, as is evidenced by Prince Kael'thas' use of "Ishnu'alah", 's "Ishnu'dal'dieb", as well as the names of the different elf subtypes, the Kaldorei, Quel'dorei, and Sin'dorei.
The high elves have very long life spans compared to humans, so Thalassian might be so similar to Darnassian that it would be more correct to call it a dialect, rather than a separate language. However, various sources call them languages, and imply that there would be difficulty in communication between the separate languages.This section concerns content exclusive to the Warcraft RPG and is considered non-canon.
Beyond the current spoken version of Darnassian there is one ancient dialect of Darnassian, written in Darnassian runes. However, it is possible that it is the language currently known as Elven which is also spoken on Mount Hyjal.
It has been pointed out that Darnassian, an old language, shares the same root word with the name of the Night Elven capital, Darnassus, a city created relatively recently. Some reasons as to why this may be include: 1) the language was always called Darnassian, and the city was named for the language; 2) there was no name for the language prior to the foundation of the city, and so they bore the same, 3) the name of the language was changed, or 4) "darnass" has a translation that is not yet known.
- ^ Quotes by Arathandris Silversky
- ^ : You assume the text is of some ancient language... perhaps Kaldorei?
- ^ The Comic: Destiny Awaits!
- ^ Don Adams on Twitter
- ^ a b c d e f g h i j k l m n o p q r s The Warcraft Encyclopedia: Darnassian
- ^ a b Cycle of Hatred, 67.
- ^ Mount Journal entry for and
- ^ gossip text
- ^ Destiny Awaits!, 11.
- ^ a b c Seeds of Faith
- ^ a b World of Warcraft: Chronicle Volume 1, pg. 124
- ^ a b c d e f g h i j Alliance Player's Guide, 128.
- ^ a b Loreology on Twitter
- ^ a b Flashback, 22.
- ^ World of Warcraft: Chronicle Volume 1, pg. 94
- ^ Stormrage, 84
- ^ Warcraft III: Reign of Chaos manual, 47.
- ^ World of Warcraft: Chronicle Volume 1, pg. 95
- ^ Feral Worgen (Val'sharah)
- ^ Warcraft III: Reign of Chaos manual, 48.
- ^ Christie Golden on Twitter
- ^ Collected hardcover edition of Curse of the Worgen
- ^ Collected hardcover edition of Curse of the Worgen
- ^ World of Warcraft: Chronicle Volume 1, pg. 139
- ^ The Founding of Quel'Thalas
- ^ Day of the Dragon, 136.
- ^ The Art of World of Warcraft: Cataclysm, pg. 6
- ^ Lands of Mystery, 74.
- ^ Enemies at the Gate
- ^ Peter Whalen on Twitter
- ^ Skelesaurus Hex dialogue
- ^ a b Magic and Mayhem, 57-8.
- ^ World of Warcraft: The Roleplaying Game, 39.
- ^ Shadows & Light, 134.