Day of the Dead
|Day of the Dead|
November 1st - 3rd (2018)
Day of the Dead is a world event that occurs immediately after Hallow's End, on 1st to 2nd of November. This is the same time as the real-world Day of the Dead. It takes place in the Graveyards your race's major city, or in the neutral locations of Shattrath or Dalaran. Day of the Dead made its debut in 2009.
- During the Day of the Dead, the people of Azeroth gather in graveyards to celebrate and cherish the spirits of those they have lost. One can find the festivities in the cemeteries of any major city where celebrants cook, drink, don costumes and more.
- Can you feel it? The spirit world draws close during the Day of the Dead. This is why we decorate the graves of our dearly departed with flowers and candles and offerings: to welcome them back, even if only for a time.
New in 2014
Chapman has some permanent new costumes on sale for 100:
Use those costumes to earn some new achievements:
Things to do
Dance with Catrina
Get a Macabre Marionette pet
- Buy for and an or a
- Create the bread at the Ghostly Fire next to Chapman or Catrina
- Use the marigolds to see the Cheerful Spirit quest giver.
A companion skeleton with a Sombrero on, the is available as a reward.
Originally meant to only last the duration of Day of the Dead, the pet has since changed in 2013 to be a permanent companion.
Available for 100 each from Chapman, five fighting costumes can be used to fight other contenders who are wearing costumes with special moves:
- Quick Punch — Strike contenders directly in front of you for 10% health. 1 sec cast (1 sec cooldown)
- Strong Sweep — Sweep contenders in a 4-yard cone for 20% health and knock them down for 1.50 sec. 1.5 sec cast (1.5 sec cooldown)
- Jump Attack — Jump forward and strike contenders in a 0-yard circle for 30% health and knock them down for 3 sec. 1 sec cast (1.5 sec cooldown)
Defeating 1, 20, and 50 contenders will each award an achievement: , , and , respectively. Don't attempt to get the achievements in Sanctuaries like Shattrath and Dalaran, as the abilities will not do any damage to other players.
Easy Calavera technique
To get 50 kills quickly, after acquiring a costume, form a raid with some friends or a PuG and zone into an instance where players respawn inside the instance, like Siege of Orgrimmar. Start fighting immediately after zoning in. This way, after releasing, defeated characters will respawn instantly in the melee, rather than having to deal with the resurrection timer and running around. Resurrect instantly and just stand there while waiting on the costume cooldown to keep attacking. Other players will get credit for your character's death if your character still has the buff (it lasts through death), even if your character cannot actively attack.
Another method is to use graveyard resurrection sickness, for those who can't enter raids, but make sure to put all armor that takes durability damage in the bank while doing this.
A macro to make competitive killing easier:
/cancelaura Strong Sweep /cancelaura Jump Attack /click ExtraActionButton1
This removes the stun/knockdown caused by others, and causes you to attack.
Finding graveyard locations
- Ironforge - Graveyard can be found to the east of the entrance up a small hill.
- Stormwind - Graveyard can be found at the North end of the Stormwind Graveyard, just behind the Cathedral.
- Darnassus - Graveyard located to the right when entering the city from Dolanaar, near Craftsman's Terrace.
- Exodar - Graveyard is just south of Azure Watch.
- Silvermoon City - Going from Silvermoon go west past The Dead Scar before you get to Falcon Square.
- Thunder Bluff - Graveyard can be found right next to the north lift of the Middle Rise
- Orgrimmar - Can be found left of the road heading south right past the boar farm.
- Undercity - Graveyard is located inside the courtyard of the city right across from the chamber for the Orb of Translocation
Racial home city graveyards
|Race||Home city||Graveyard location|
|Ironforge dwarf||Ironforge||Dun Morogh|
|Human||Stormwind City||Stormwind City|
|Blood elf||Silvermoon City||Eversong Woods|
1Pandaren can only complete the quest at a neutral city.
- Patch 6.0.2 (2014-10-14): Fighting costumes and achievements added.
- Patch 3.2.2 (2009-09-22): Added.