Hello there! We are conducting a survey to better understand the user experience in making a first edit. If you have ever made an edit on Gamepedia, please fill out the survey. Thank you!
- This article is about the death knight ability. For other uses, see Death Coil (disambiguation).
- The icy embrace of death can be beneficial...for those who know how to control it.
- Those who have shunned the Light are welcomed with open arms by the shadows.
Death Coil is an iconic death knight ability that was first used by the Death Knight unit in Warcraft II, and was subsequently used by Death Knights in Warcraft III, and the tabletop RPG. In World of Warcraft, a variation of was given to the warlock class.
In Warcraft II
- Main article: Death Knight (Warcraft II)#Spells
Death Coil is a particularly potent variation of the Touch of Darkness spell. By channeling the necromantic powers of the underworld through his ghoulish form, the Death Knight creates a field of dark energy that drains the life-force from any who come in contact with it. This life-force is then consumed - thereby replenishing the strength of one so enchanted, be he friend or foe. The icy embrace of death can be beneficial...for those who know how to control it.
In Warcraft III
Death knights can call upon the forces of darkness at will, causing bolts of death to issue from their hands. While doing considerable damage to the death knights’ enemies, the Death Coil also heals their undead brethren.
Patches and hotfixes
- Patch 7.2.5 (2017-06-13):
- Death Coil damage increased by 40%.
- Death Coil now costs 45 runic power (was 35).
- Patch 7.1.0 (2016-10-25): Damage increased by 50%.
- Patch 7.0.3 (2016-07-19): No longer available to Blood. Now restores energy to the summoned ghoul instead of healing a friendly undead target.
- Patch 6.2.3 (2015-11-17): Damage has been increased by 10%.
- Hotfix (2015-06-23): "Fixed an issue that could cause Death Coil to not heal a friendly target unless an enemy target is selected."
- Hotfix (2014-10-14): "Death Coil should now correctly have a range of 40 yards."
- Patch 6.0.2 (2014-10-14):
- Now costs 30 Runic Power (down from 40 Runic Power) and has a 40 yard range for both hostiles and allies.
- No longer available to the Frost specialization.
- Patch 4.0.6 (2011-02-08): Damage has been reduced by roughly 10%.