New world boss
In the Eastern Plaguelands, Nathanos Blightcaller has returned as a world boss, reprising his role from Classic (for the Alliance, at least). Players will get a breadcrumb to him as they are directed to Icecrown during the quest chain, but the world quest is available immediately.
As the invasion starts, Plagued Roaches and Plagued Vermin appear in cities, towns, and quest hubs. Attacking them will immediately turn the player into an Infectious Zombie. NPC Infectious Zombies also spawn, whose attacks stand a good chance of infecting their targets.
If players find themselves infected, they have a small amount of time to cleanse the disease with player skills or find an Argent Healer, else they will turn into an Infectious Zombie. Dying will also cause the player to respawn as a zombie.
- You are [Infected]!
- Infected! — Find a cure before it's too late! Disease. 60 sec duration
As is tradition, the zombies have the following abilities:
- Mangle! Melee range — Inflicts X Physical damage to an enemy and increases Physical damage taken by 5% for 12 sec. Instant (3 sec cooldown)
- Retch! 40 yd yd range — Spews bile at an area, inflicting X Nature damage to enemies every 2 sec. and reducing movement speed by 40%. Instant (20 sec cooldown)
- Beckoning Groan 40 yd range — Beckon up to 4 zombies within 35 yards to you. They must not be in combat. Instant (20 sec cooldown)
- Lurch! — Increases the movement speed of nearby zombies by 100% for 10 sec to help catch food. Removes movement-impairing or crowd control effects. Instant (30 sec cooldown)
- Zombie Explosion! 30 yd range — Burst into pieces, inflicting X Physical damage and infecting enemies within 15 yards. 4 sec cast (1 min cooldown)
Icecrown is in a new phase with new mechanics.
Chilling Winds and Bonfires
Occasionally, the Chilling Winds blow:
- [Chilling Winds] fill the air! Seek warmth at a [Bonfire].
- Justicar Mariel Trueheart says: We must not allow the cold to deter our efforts. Seek warmth among allies, champion.
The winds debuff all players in the zone:
- Chilling Winds — Inflicts X Frost damage every 10 sec. Seek comfort at a Bonfire.
To counteract this, find Bonfires in the zone and sit by them for a little while to gain a stacking buff:
- Lingering Warmth — Damage done increased by 5%. Frost damage taken reduced by 18%. Stacks five times
At five stacks, damage is increased by 25% and Frost damage taken is reduced by 90%, all but negating the Chilling Winds.
|Argent Tournament Grounds Northeast||1|
|Argent Tournament Grounds Southeast||1|
Every twenty minutes, Mawsworn Soulbearers respawn some Wrath of the Lich King undead bosses. They drop 30-40x , a slim chance at item level 100 loot (for level 50 players) in an echo of their original loot, and an even rarer chance at an .
Bosses spawn in a set pattern every twenty minutes (at :00, :20, and :40), announced with a zone-wide emote:
- Winged figures appear through the shattered sky and call upon <boss> to rise again!
- <Boss> returns, infused with dark energies!
Between the initial "Winged figures" emote and the boss becoming attackable, players have two minutes to reach the boss's location, shown with a purple skull on the zone map. The boss will yell on aggro, at 50%, and when it dies.
|The Black Knight||Deathspeaker's Watch|
|Scourgelord Tyrannus||Corp'rethar: The Horror Gate||North end, just south of the Conflagration|
|Forgemaster Garfrost||Malykriss: The Vile Hold|
|Marwyn||Icecrown Citadel||East side up high|
|Falric||Icecrown Citadel||Near entrance to dungeons|
|The Prophet Tharon'ja||Scourgeholme||Inside the ziggurat|
|Novos the Summoner||Scourgeholme|
|Krik'thir the Gatewatcher||Mord'rethar: The Death Gate||Ground level|
|Elder Nadox||Icecrown Glacier|
|Noth the Plaguebringer||Fleshwerks|
|Patchwerk||Sanctum of Reanimation||Cave mouth on map at Fleshwerks|
|Blood Queen Lana'thel||Aldur'thar: The Desolation Gate||Northwest|
|Professor Putricide||Aldur'thar: The Desolation Gate||Northeast|
|Lady Deathwhisper||Icecrown Citadel||Base of steps|
|Skadi the Ruthless||Ymirheim|
|Ingvar the Plunderer||Ymirheim|
|Prince Keleseth||Aldur'thar: The Desolation Gate||South end|
New quests in the quest chain unlock weekly and fill in some more information between the cinematic (Sylvanas shattering the Helm of Domination) and the beginning of the Shadowlands quests itself (in the Shadowlands intro experience). As players complete the final quest in week two, they will be awarded the feat of strength . Two sets of daily quests are also unlocked as part of the campaign.
- Week one:
- Week one dailies:
During Cause for Distraction, a pre-rendered cinematic plays:
At the capitals, various faction leaders all have special gossip text:
- Master Mathias Shaw
- The king was taken on my watch. I should've had more agents assigned to him. This is what happens when I let my guard down. When I allow my--
- <Shaw takes a deep breath.>
- No, damn it. This was her doing. I won't blame myself for finding happiness. Anduin would be the first to tell me that.
- We're going to find him. The others, too. Whatever it takes.
- Taelia Fordragon
- I was at the Lord Admiral's side when those monsters came for her.
- They struck fast. She could hardly cast a spell before their chains enveloped her. She fought all she could, but it wasn't enough.
- I... I couldn't stop them.
- But by the tides, I swear I'll see this through. No matter where I have to go, or what I have to face.
- Shandris Feathermoon
- It seems my mother was the only target who avoided capture.
- I should give thanks to Elune for such a blessing.
- <Shandris's brow furrows.>
- Yes, my minn'do laid waste to the dark manifestations the Banshee sent for her. But the power she displayed, the ferocity she unleashed, something about it was... troubling.
- She knew there was a price to be paid for undertaking the ritual of the Night Warrior. With each day that passes, I fear the price will come due.
- We had a happy life in Nagrand. A home. We were happy.
- <Aggra looks wistfully into the distance>
- But... Go'el needed to return. We all did. For the sake of the Horde. And for Saurfang.
- The Banshee's forces took us by surprise. We fought fiercely, but it was not enough.
- I know wherever they took him, Go'el will keep on fighting.
- He would want me to stay behind and safeguard the children. So I ask you, <name>, to go in my stead.
- Find him. Find them all. And bring them home.
- Calia Menethil
- When I worked with King Wrynn to arrange a meeting between the living and the undead in Arathi, I thought I understood the Forsaken. Only too late did I realize how little I knew.
- But after being raised into undead myself, I have begun to se the depths of what they have endured. With the help of Lilian Voss, I have found ways to aid those who feel abandoned and alone.
- Right now, the whole world trembles beneath the specter of death. And fear, left unchecked will consume every soul it touches.
- I cannot allow that to happen. Not to the people of Lordaeron, nor to any who fight for the good of Azeroth.
- Lilian Voss
- The war has taught me many lessons. Who I could trust... and who I could not.
- Though her actions, Sylvanas has proven that she doesn't about the Forsaken's fate. But we haven't endured too much to allow her betrayal to unravel what we have built.
- <Lilian peers at you with narrow eyes.>
- You think my words hash, <name>? Did you willfully do her bidding? Turn a blind eye to her endless atrocities?
- Windrunner choose her path--and her allies. We all did.
- Once, I would have sought vengeance. Retribution. But now, I only care that the Forsaken have a future. And for that, we need the right leaders in place.
- I will lend my voice to the Horde Council and speak for my people. For a time, at least.
- Mayla Highmountain
- Baine endured so much during the war. He did all he could to make the Horde strong. But more than that, he fought to reclaim its heart, its honor.
- The Banshee failed to break him, so of course she would lash like this. A cowardly attack was all she had left.
- Baine means... a great deal to me. But my people--and his-- are gripped by fear. Now is not the time for me to leave them, even for his sake.
- So I ask you, <name>, to fight to save him. As he fought to save the Horde.
- Dis be a perilous time for de Horde. Our wounds still be fresh and de Banshee be inflictin' even fresher ones.
- De Scourge be risin' too. If we don't be careful, Death gonna take hold of dis world. We all gotta stay vigilant.
- Queen Talanji be back in Zuldazar, defendin' her kingdom. Don't know if ya heard, but she be facin' problems of her own.
- De Horde gotta stand strong, <name>. No matter what be risin' from da shadows.
An or three is awarded from one-time and daily quests in Icecrown. Commendations can be used to purchase a toy, a pet, and a set of item level 100 armor (with a new transmog). To purchase everything on one character, 170 commendations are required.
Vendors are located at:
- Quartermaster Renick (Trade District, Stormwind City)
- Quartermaster Lungren (Valley of Strength, Orgrimmar)
- Crusader Adevald Ironbeard week two only (Ironwall Rampart, Icecrown)
|The Black Knight||Plate head|
|Lady Deathwhisper||Leather chest|
|Forgemaster Garfrost||Strength two-hand mace|
|Ingvar the Plunderer||Crit/haste ring|
|Strength two-hand axe|
|Prince Keleseth||Mail hands|
|Krik'thir the Gatewatcher||Agility dagger|
|Blood Queen Lana'thel||Agility polearm|
|Elder Nadox||Haste/versatility ring|
|Noth the Plaguebringer||Versatility ring|
|Novos the Summoner||Plate chest|
|Strength one-hand mace|
|Professor Putricide||Leather head|
|Skadi the Ruthless||Leather chest|
|Prince Taldaram||Mail waist|
|The Prophet Tharon'ja||Leather legs|
|Strength two-hand sword|
|Scourgelord Tyrannus||Leather legs|