Death Rising is a world event in patch 9.0.1 available from November 10, 2020 until the launch of Shadowlands on November 23-24, 2020 that heralds the launch of World of Warcraft: Shadowlands. It is similar in scope to the Scourge Invasion events.
New quests in the quest chain unlock weekly and fill in some more information between the cinematic (Sylvanas shattering the Helm of Domination) and the beginning of the Shadowlands quests itself (in the Shadowlands intro experience). As players complete the final quest in week two, they will be awarded the feat of strength . Two sets of daily quests are also unlocked as part of the campaign.
- Week one:
- Week one dailies:
New world boss
In the Eastern Plaguelands, Nathanos Blightcaller has returned as a world boss, reprising his role from Classic (for the Alliance, at least). Players will get a breadcrumb to him at the same that they are directed to Icecrown during the quest chain, but the world quest is available immediately.
The world quest awards item level 115 weapons, equivalent to heroic Ny'alotha gear, and is available once a week. See or .
Don't try to fight from the roof or inside the house, however...
Entering Stormwind or Orgrimmar flags the player for PvP regardless of their Warmode status, and running out the timer will only refresh the duration.
As the invasion starts, Plagued Roaches and Plagued Vermin appear in cities, towns, and quest hubs. Attacking them will immediately turn the player into an Infectious Zombie. NPC Infectious Zombies also spawn, whose attacks stand a good chance of infecting their targets.
Additionally, a Bloodthirsty Ghoul will spawn on occasion in Stormwind or Orgimmar. Kill it, loot the / , then turn in .
If players find themselves infected, they have a small amount of time to cleanse the disease with player skills or find an Argent Healer, else they will turn into an Infectious Zombie. Dying will also cause the player to respawn as a zombie.
- You are [Infected]!
- Infected! — Find a cure before it's too late! Disease. 60 sec duration
As is tradition, zombies are hostile to all units except other zombies, can speak with each other cross-faction, and have access to the following abilities:
- Mangle! Melee range — Inflicts X Physical damage to an enemy and increases Physical damage taken by 5% for 12 sec. Instant (3 sec cooldown)
- Retch! 40 yd yd range — Spews bile at an area, inflicting X Nature damage to enemies every 2 sec. and reducing movement speed by 40%. Instant (20 sec cooldown)
- Beckoning Groan 40 yd range — Beckon up to 4 zombies within 35 yards to you. They must not be in combat. Instant (20 sec cooldown)
- Lurch! — Increases the movement speed of nearby zombies by 100% for 10 sec to help catch food. Removes movement-impairing or crowd control effects. Instant (30 sec cooldown)
- Zombie Explosion! 30 yd range — Burst into pieces, inflicting X Physical damage and infecting enemies within 15 yards. 4 sec cast (1 min cooldown)
Icecrown is in a new phase with new mechanics for players who have picked up . If players have not gotten to that point, they will not see any rares or be able to complete any quests in the zone. Max-level players will not be able to take part in normal Argent Tournament activities or Icecrown questing for the duration of the event.
Chilling Winds and Bonfires
Occasionally, the Chilling Winds blow:
- [Chilling Winds] fill the air! Seek warmth at a [Bonfire].
- Justicar Mariel Trueheart says: We must not allow the cold to deter our efforts. Seek warmth among allies, champion.
The winds debuff all players in the zone:
- Chilling Winds — Inflicts X Frost damage every 10 sec. Seek comfort at a Bonfire.
To counteract this, find Bonfires in the zone and sit by them for a little while to gain a stacking buff:
- Lingering Warmth — Damage done increased by 5%. Frost damage taken reduced by 18%. Stacks five times
At five stacks, damage is increased by 25% and Frost damage taken is reduced by 90%, all but negating the Chilling Winds.
|Argent Tournament Grounds Northeast||1|
|Argent Tournament Grounds Southeast||1|
At regular intervals, Mawsworn Soulbearers summon an undead boss from Wrath of the Lich King. These bosses will drop 20-50x , have a slim chance at item level 110 loot in an echo of their original drops, and an even rarer chance at an .
Bosses originally spawned every twenty minutes (at :00, :20, and :40) during the first week of the event, but starting November 16 this increased to every ten minutes. Their arrival is announced with a zone-wide emote:
- Winged figures appear through the shattered sky and call upon <boss> to rise again!
- <Boss> returns, infused with dark magic!
Between the initial "Winged figures" emote and the boss becoming attackable, players have two minutes to reach the boss's location, shown with a purple skull on the zone map. The boss will yell on aggro, at 50%, and when it dies.
Bosses can be killed for loot each time they're up (every 3 hours and 20 minutes). There is no daily lockout.
An or three is awarded from one-time and daily quests in Icecrown. Commendations can be used to purchase a toy, a pet, and a set of item level 100 armor (with a new transmog). To purchase everything on one character, 170 commendations are required.
Vendors are located at:
- Quartermaster Renick (Trade District, Stormwind City)
- Quartermaster Lungren (Valley of Strength, Orgrimmar)
- Veteran Crusader Aliocha Segard (Argent Tournament Grounds, Icecrown)
- Crusader Adevald Ironbeard week two only (Ironwall Rampart, Icecrown)
Icecrown respawned bosses drop 20-50x and usually a piece of item level 110 gear, and have a very small chance to drop an . Additionally, selected bosses (like Bronjahm or Skadi) can drop their special items, such as a 34-slot bag or mount in addition to their normal loot. There is no daily lockout, and players can loot the rares each time they respawn (every three hours 20 minutes).
In addition, they, and the regular mobs within Icecrown, have a slight chance to drop the .
|The Black Knight
||Strength two-hand mace|
|Agility One-Hand sword|
|The Prophet Tharon'ja
|Novos the Summoner
|Strength one-hand mace|
|Strength two-hand sword|
|Krik'thir the Gatewatcher
|Noth the Plaguebringer
|Blood Queen Lana'thel
|Skadi the Ruthless
|Ingvar the Plunderer
|Strength two-hand axe|
At the capitals, various faction leaders all have special gossip text:
- Genn Greymane
- The Banshee's accursed shadow hangs over us all.
- She will pay for what she's done!
- Master Mathias Shaw
- The king was taken on my watch. I should've had more agents assigned to him. This is what happens when I let my guard down. When I allow my--
- <Shaw takes a deep breath.>
- No, damn it. This was her doing. I won't blame myself for finding happiness. Anduin would be the first to tell me that.
- We're going to find him. The others, too. Whatever it takes.
- Taelia Fordragon
- I was at the Lord Admiral's side when those monsters came for her.
- They struck fast. She could hardly cast a spell before their chains enveloped her. She fought all she could, but it wasn't enough.
- I... I couldn't stop them.
- But by the tides, I swear I'll see this through. No matter where I have to go, or what I have to face.
- Shandris Feathermoon
- It seems my mother was the only target who avoided capture.
- I should give thanks to Elune for such a blessing.
- <Shandris's brow furrows.>
- Yes, my minn'do laid waste to the dark manifestations the Banshee sent for her. But the power she displayed, the ferocity she unleashed, something about it was... troubling.
- She knew there was a price to be paid for undertaking the ritual of the Night Warrior. With each day that passes, I fear the price will come due.
- Alleria Windrunner
- We spent months searching every inch of Azeroth for any sign of Sylvanas, only to learn that my sister has crossed into the realm of the dead.
- <Alleria's eyes narrow.>
- How fitting.
- Though I long to join the hunt for her, right now my place is here. The Alliance must rebuild its strength, and I will aid Turalyon in that effort.
- But when the time comes, I will see Sylvanas answer for what she had done.
- High Exarch Turalyon
- In King Anduin's absence, I have been entrusted with the protection of Alliance citizens.
- It feels like lifetimes ago that I helped a young Varian Wrynn secure his throne. Now I am charged with keeping it safe for his son.
- The Fourth War took a terrible toll on the Alliance. Our military might has been depleted. Stormwind's nobles are keen to see our defenses restored.
- Reclaiming Stromgarde was a good first step. Perhaps there are other holdings of the old Alliance that could be secured.
Taelia has a <Stay awhile and listen.> gossip option:
- Taelia Fordragon says: All this time you knew my father was alive, but you didn't tell me?!
- Genn Greymane says: It's not that simple, Taelia. Your father was presumed lost at the Wrathgate. It wasn't until later that we learned the truth.
- Genn Greymane says: Dragon's flame had saved his life, but scarred his flesh. And in an act of vengeance, Arthas Menethil captured and tormented him.
- Genn Greymane says: When the Lich King was defeated, someone had to take up the mantle and keep the Scourge in check. Your father assumed that burden, knowing it would cost him everything.
- Genn Greymane says: Tirion Fordring swore to keep Bolvar's choice a secret. He made us take the same vow. We believed that knowing his fate would only bring you pain.
- Taelia Fordragon says: "We"? Anduin knew too, didn't he? The king told me story after story about my father as if he were some long-dead hero of the past. But the whole time, Anduin hid the truth.
- Genn Greymane says: Please forgive us, Taelia. We honestly believed he was a casualty of war. That Bolvar Fordragon was truly gone, to be forevermore the Lich King.
- Taelia Fordragon says: Well, you were wrong. Now I know my father is alive, free from that damned helm. And no matter what it takes, I will go to his side.
As does Mathias Shaw:
- Master Mathias Shaw says: King Greymane, you shouldn't remain out in the open like this. You're too tempting a target.
- Genn Greymane says: If Sylvanas had wished to capture me, she would have done so along with Anduin.
- Genn Greymane says: No. She wanted to leave me behind. To torment me with the loss of yet another... of our king.
- Master Mathias Shaw says: Still, we need you in the throne room. There are matters of state that must be overseen until the king's return.
- Genn Greymane says: Anduin entrusted Turalyon with command of our military forces. The Stormwind nobles support him serving as regent and protector of the realm.
- Master Mathias Shaw says: I don't question the High Exarch's ability to defend the Alliance. But as a king yourself, don't you think you should--
- Genn Greymane says: You and Turalyon need to safeguard our citizens from the return of the Scourge. I need to focus on doing whatever I can to find Anduin and the others.
- Master Mathias Shaw says: Yes, your majesty.
- We had a life in Nagrand, A home. We were happy.
- <Aggra looks wistfully into the distance.>
- But... Go'el needed to return. We all did. For the sake of the Horde. And for Saurfang.
- The Banshee's forces took us by surprise. We fought fiercely, but it was not enough.
- I know wherever they took him, Go'el will keep on fighting.
- He would want me to stay and safeguard the children. So I ask you, <name>, to go in my stead.
- Find him. Find them all. And bring them home.
- Calia Menethil
- When I worked with King Wrynn to arrange a meeting between the living and the undead in Arathi, I thought I understood the Forsaken. Only too late did I realize how little I knew.
- But after being raised into undead myself, I have begun to see the depths of what they have endured. With the help of Lilian Voss, I have found ways to aid those who feel abandoned and alone.
- Right now, the whole world trembles beneath the specter of death. And fear, left unchecked, will consume every soul it touches.
- I cannot allow that to happen. Not to the people of Lordaeron, nor to any who fight for the good of Azeroth.
- Lilian Voss
- The war taught me many lessons. Who I could trust... and who I could not.
- Through her actions, Sylvanas has proven that she doesn't care about the Forsaken's fate. But we have endured too much to allow her betrayal to unravel what we have built.
- <Lilian peers at you through narrow eyes.>
- You think my words harsh, <name>? Did you willfully do her bidding? Turn a blind eye upon her endless atrocities?
- Windrunner chose her path--and her allies. We all did.
- Once, I would have sought vengeance. Retribution. But now, I care only that the Forsaken have a future. And for that, we need the right leaders in place.
- I will lend my voice to the Horde council and speak for my people. For a time, at least.
- Lor'themar Theron
- The council we have assembled to lead the Horde is still in its infancy.
- Sylvanas knows this. The abduction was intended to undermine our council's stability.
- But we will not let her succeed.
- Mayla Highmountain
- Baine endured so much during the war. He did all he could to make the Horde strong. But more than that, he fought to reclaim its honor. Its heart.
- The Banshee failed to break him, so of course she would lash out like this. A cowardly attack was all she had left.
- Baine means... a great deal to me. But my people--and his--are gripped by fear. Now is not the time for me to leave them, even for his sake.
- So I ask you, <name>, to fight to save him. As he fought to save the Horde.
- Dis be a perilous time for da Horde. Our wounds still be fresh, and da Banshee be inflictin' even fresher ones.
- Da Scourge be risin' too. If we don't be careful, Death gonna take hold of dis world. We all gotta stay vigilant.
- Queen Talanji be back in Zuldazar, defendin' her kingdom. Don't know if ya heard, but she been facin' problems of her own.
- Da Horde gotta stand strong, <name>. No matter what be risin' from da shadows.
- Valeera Sanguinar
- Make no mistake, I have friends on both sides, Horde and Alliance.
- I refuse to fight with one against the other. There is more at stake than political posturing.
- Our world is imperiled. I will work with whomever I must to help save it.
Valeera has a <Stay awhile and listen.> gossip option:
- Valeera Sanguinar says: Lady Menethil, may I ask if... oh, forgive me. Should I refer to you as princess, or are you now a queen?
- Calia Menethil says: Lady Menethil is fine. Calia is even better. I gave up my claim to the throne long ago.
- Valeera Sanguinar says: Understood. King Anduin has spoken highly of you, and I know he bears guilt over what befell you in the Arathi Highlands.
- Calia Menethil says: The king is a good man. I do not blame him for what happened. All the guilt lies with Sylvanas Windrunner.
- Valeera Sanguinar says: We have much in common, I think. Both caught between two worlds, belonging fully to neither. Yet being able to move between them offers certain advantages.
- Calia Menethil says: I thought to be a bridge between the living and the undead. My first attempt ended in sorrow. But I have not given up hope, Lady Sanguinar.
- Valeera Sanguinar says: I am most pleased to hear that. But please, I am no lady. My friends call me Valeera, Lady Menethil. Excuse me... Calia.
- Patch 9.0.1 (2020-10-13): Added.