Defending the Rift (Alliance)
82 (Requires 80)
- Kill 15 naga in the Abyssal Breach (15)
The whispers of the elements are crowding my thoughts, <name>...
The Throne of the Tides is under siege!
I cannot stand idly by while the naga threaten Neptulon's realm. We must find a way to join forces with him.
Captain Taylor will escort me to the depths where I can commune directly with Neptulon.
I must ask you to take a more violent path. Keep the enemy forces distracted until I arrive safely at entrance to the Throne of Tides.
May the spirits see us through, <name>.
This is NOT over!
There is no direct followup. At this point, players should follow the captain and discover the entrance to the Throne of the Tides. Down in the maw, Wavespeaker Valoren stands just to the west of the instance entrance and offers to teleport players back to the Abyssal Depths. Inside the dungeon, the captain offers Rescue the Earthspeaker! and Sins of the Sea Witch.
There is no quick teleport back to the capital city, but remember the flight paths on the surface of the Shimmering Expanse do connect to the mainland. Additionally, The War Has Many Fronts, offered on the ships, but requires level 82, also directs players that way.
Submarine event transcript (before patch 5.4.8)
Talk to Erunak again to start the event.
- Make your preparations, <name>, but do it quickly!
I am prepared, Erunak. Let's go!
- The camera cuts outside as the sub exits the cave heading toward the Abyssal Breach. Inside the sub, players are in the bridge along with the crew and Erunak.
- Pincer X2 Crewmember yells: I have a clear shot here! Get me more ammo!
- Captain Taylor yells: Keep moving, men! I want a steady stream of shells for these guns!
- Stormwind Soldier says: Aye, sir!
- Pincer X2 Crewmember says: Wahoo! This is what I call a target-rich environment!
- Erunak Stonespeaker says: Use caution when firing those shells...
- Erunak Stonespeaker says: Neptulon's revenants must not consider us enemies!
- Captain Taylor yells: Keep those naga away from the crater!
- Captain Taylor yells: If they manage to enter the breach we will never get them out!
- Engineer Hexascrub says: Calculating trajectory...
- Engineer Hexascrub says: Calibrating fuse...
- Engineer Hexascrub says: Munitions ready!
- Ensign Ebbert yells: Commence Fire!
- Engineer Hexascrub says: Wahoo!
- Captain Taylor says: Where is Neptulon in all of this, shaman?
- Captain Taylor says: Why does he not protect his own domain?
- Erunak Stonespeaker says: The lords of the elemental planes are beings of pure chaos, captain.
- Erunak Stonespeaker says: No one can discern their motives...
- Captain Taylor says: If he doesn't defend his home, he'll soon be without one.
- Ensign Ebbert says: Look at the size of those things. What ARE they?
- Erunak Stonespeaker says: The naga have enlisted the aid of the Old God's minions.
- Erunak Stonespeaker says: Twisted creatures bent on the destruction of all living beings.
- Engineer Ebbert says: <Gulp>Sorry I asked...
- Captain Taylor says: The elementals are clearly outnumbered.
- Captain Taylor says: They fight in vain...
- Erunak Stonespeaker says: I sense desperation in them.
- Erunak Stonespeaker says: Without aid, they will fail.
- The sub is circling the breach, taking pot shots, but there's not much the ship can do at distance against such numbers.
- Captain Taylor yells: This isn't helping!
- Captain Taylor says: We cannot hold off the naga this way.
- Captain Taylor says: If we are to defend the rift, we must do it directly!
- Captain Taylor says: Set us down as close to the crater as possible.
- Ensign Ebbert says: Impossible sir! The current's too strong!
- The camera cuts outside as Lady Naz'jar tails the ship, ordering her naga to destroy it!
- Lady Naz'jar says: What hubrisss these fools possesssss!
- Lady Naz'jar says: It ssshall profit them nothing, sssave it be a ssspeedy demise...
- Lady Naz'jar says: Dessstroy them!
- The ship catches fire, then crashes to the southwest of the breach. The crew escapes outside, barely.
- Erunak Stonespeaker says: Arise, friend. We have no time to lick our wounds!
- Spotted, waves of naga start attacking!
- Captain Taylor yells: We've been spotted! Make ready!
- The party fends off the wave, but doesn't make any progress. Realizing this, Taylor calls for help.
- Captain Taylor yells: Erunak! We don't have time for this...
- Erunak blasts them to smithereens.
- Captain Taylor yells: The submarine's gonna blow! Move out!
- Erunak Stonespeaker says: We must make our way to the crater!
- The party moves closer, to the northeast.
- Captain Taylor yells: More naga! Brace yourselves!
- Another wave, but Erunak quickly tires of this.
- Erunak Stonespeaker yells: Enough!
- Erunak Stonespeaker says: We must make haste! The elementals cannot endure this siege.
- Moving onward, the next wave is Lady Sira'kess, who freezes the party in its tracks!
- Captain Taylor says: More delays... Form up, men!
- Lady Sira'kess says: Ahh, visitorsss!
- Lady Sira'kess says: What an unexpected sssurprise.
- Lady Sira'kess says: You mussst forgive me... I have no time to ssstay and play.
- Lady Sira'kess says: In my absssence, my sservantsss will... sssee to your needs.
- Lady Sira'kess says: Do enjoy yourssselves!
- Sira'kess summons in some tentacles, then turns and heads toward the breach, but the captain charges her through and one-shots her!
- Captain Taylor yells: We don't die that easily, sea-witch!
- Erunak Stonespeaker yells: Neptulon's minions are growing desperate! We must hurry!
- The party reaches the last ridge before the cliff of the Breach.
- Erunak Stonespeaker yells: This is it! The entrance to Neptulon's realm...
- Captain Taylor yells: Naz'jar and her honor guard... Fight for your lives!
- Lady Naz'jar yells: Come, children of Azshara! At last, we lay claim to the Plane of Water!
- The camera cuts away as Nazjar's forces attack. Finally, Neptulon himself appears out of the Breach!
- Lady Naz'jar yells: Go, my naga! Welcome the mighty Tidehunter to Azeroth!
- Neptulon yells: You and your scaly worms are no match for me...
- Neptulon yells: You've reached too far, serpent. You shall suffer greatly for your trespass!
- Neptulon strikes, taking out a significant portion of Naz'jar's forces. The camera pulls back to show Neptulon and Naz'jar channeling beams of energy into each other, and more soldiers getting kidnapped again!
- Lady Naz'jar yells: To me, my minions! Strike now!
- Naz'jar unleashes her trump, Ozumat!
- Lady Naz'jar yells: Now! Unleash the kraken!
- Lady Naz'jar yells: You fool! This day shall be your last!
- Ozumat attaches itself to Neptulon's "head" and Naz'jar celebrates her victory as the naga enter the breach.
- Lady Naz'jar yells: Follow me, my pets! The realm of the mighty Neptulon is ours at last!
- Afterwards, Erunak and Taylor talk, floating at the edge of the breach.
- Captain Taylor says: What now, old friend?
- Erunak Stonespeaker says: We have suffered a tragic defeat.
- Erunak Stonespeaker says: Any hope for the future of our world has grown much bleaker.
- Erunak Stonespeaker says: Thrall must be told of this day's events.
- Erunak Stonespeaker says: He will guide our next steps...
- A tentacle comes out of the breach and yanks Erunak down into it!
- Captain Taylor yells: Erunak! Noooo!
Speak to Taylor to conclude the quest.
- Captain Taylor says: Do what you will, <name>. I'm going after Erunak!
- Taylor swims down into the breach, which leads to the Abyssal Maw.
- Complete all of:
Patches and hotfixes
- Patch 5.4.8 (2014-05-20): Submarine event removed. Objectives changed to simply killing 15 naga.
- Hotfix (2010-12-08): "The cutscene which leads players to the submarine upon speaking with Erunak for the quest "Defending the Rift" should no longer sometimes drop players out of phase."
- Patch 4.0.3a (2010-11-23): Added.