- For strategy on the Castle Nathria encounter, see Sire Denathrius (tactics).
Master of Revendreth
King of the Venthyr
Commander of the Stoneborn
Fangs of the Shadowlands
|Race||Eternal One (Humanoid)|
|Affiliation(s)||Court of Harvesters, Stone Legion|
|Occupation||Leader of the venthyr, stoneborn, and Revendreth|
- “Defy Revendreth? I AM Revendreth!”
- — Sire Denathrius
Sire Denathrius is the creator and leader of the realm of Revendreth and its inhabitants, the venthyr people, which he rules from Castle Nathria. Calculating and methodical, Denathrius is ancient beyond measure and one of the most powerful beings in all the Shadowlands. He created the venthyr in his likeness, forging them from the souls of the redeemed. The first venthyr were born directly from Denathrius' will, such as Prince Renathal who considers him his father.
Rumors suggest Denathrius may no longer be fit for the role of master of Revendreth. Crowning a new Sire could return the plane to its former glory, or leave it mired in the same decadence and sin it is charged with cleansing. Denathrius beseeches Azeroth's champions to help him quell a rebellion led by Prince Renathal that threatens to destroy the venthyr's way of life, but not all is as Denathrius claims.
In truth, Denathrius has been corrupted by the very sins Revendreth swore to punish. Now partnered with the Jailer, he wishes to rule all the Shadowlands and free the Jailer from his bonds by channeling massive amounts of anima into the Maw. As the one behind the drought of anima that plagues the Shadowlands, he is one of the expansion's main antagonists and the final boss of Castle Nathria.
In the beginning of Revendreth, Sire Denathrius created the first venthyr from his own will at Sinfall, naming them his Court of Harvesters and giving each a Medallion with great power that ultimate was tied to his own being in order to help redeem souls and prevent them from damnation in the Maw. First among these was Prince Renathal.
Long ago, Sire Denathrius worked with the other Eternal Ones in banishing the Jailer to the Maw. However Renathal wonders how long Denathrius was actually working for the Jailer. General Draven even reveals that Denathrius had ordered him to hide a blood mirror in Bastion and secretly sabotage the Eternal Forge of the kyrians long ago, which Prime Forgelite Mikanikos affirms is the reason why the Forsworn so easily took control of their infrastructure.
Upon arriving in Revendreth, the Maw Walker is tricked by Denathrius into helping him trap The Accuser, empowering them with the . After declaring her to be banished in the Ember Ward after participation in the Penitent Hunt in the Forest Ward, she manages to gain the Maw Walkers trust and reveals to them Denathrius's true allegiance and plans. While the Arbiter is indeed broken, Revendreth had been hoarding all their reserve anima that should have been given to the other realms in times of need, saved up for the Jailer.
After releasing Prince Renathal and others from the Maw and gathering the remaining forces, Renathal insists on directly confronting Denathrius. This confrontation fails and Denathrius triggers an explosion, hemorrhaging anima out of Castle Nathria through the Menagerie of the Master.
He is ultimately defeated by Prince Renathal, the Maw Walker, and their forces, but is absorbed by Remornia in a last bid to save her master. She fails to escape to the Maw and ask Zovaal to restore him, instead finding herself trapped along with Denathrius in Dawnkeep to be re-educated by the naaru Z'rali for eons until he repents.
It is later revealed Denathrius had given the Medallion of Dominion to Kel'Thuzad and that he had been conspiring with him. This partnership then attempted to be seized by the Tithelord. With enough anima, Kel'Thuzad could not only control all venthyr with the Medallion of Dominion, but could also alter the fabric of the Shadowlands. In fact, he successfully manages to open a rift to the Maw at the House of Rituals and lets one of the creatures enter Maldraxxus, once again demonstrating the depravity Denathrius had planned for all.
Though defeated, Denathrius's will can still exert itself through the Medallions, and things empowered by them, such as the new Crown of the Harvesters. Upon regaining his Medallion, Renathal once again is tempted by Denathrius's will through it, but once again rejects it.
Notes and trivia
- There is a connection between Denathrius and the nathrezim acknowledged by Blizzard, and evidenced by the book Enemy Infiltration - Preface whose author is implied to be a nathrezim and which hints that nathrezim may have originally been at the service of Denathrius. They also share a similar vampire theme, as well as names: "Nathria" and "Denathrius" sound similar to "nathrezim" or "Nathreza", and the book is found in the Spire of the Unseen Guests, with "unseen guests" being another name for nathrezim.
- Denathrius' greatsword, Remornia, is sentient and capable of speech.
- Denathrius uses the same animation rigging as a male draenei, but has several custom animations such as talking.
- Denathrius is voiced by Ray Chase.
It is currently unknown what the nature of the relationship between Denathrius and nathrezim is. It can be speculated that:
- Denathrius might have created the nathrezim to serve him, like he created the venthyr. See Nathrezim#Speculation for more details.
- The nathrezim may be venthyr who have undergone changes (possibly due to other forces, like fel with most dreadlords or the Light for Lothraxion).
- Denathrius may have once been a nathrezim himself.
On the loading screen for Shadowlands.
In the Beyond the Veil cinematic.
Quest interface sketch of Denathrius and the Winter Queen.
- Patch 9.0.2 (2020-11-17): Added.
- ^ a b c Blizzard Entertainment 2020-04-22. Shadowlands Preview: Revendreth and the Venthyr Covenant. Retrieved on 2020-04-23.
- ^ The Master
- ^ Venthyr - Covenants - Shadowlands
- ^ Sinstone of Revendreth
- ^ a b Prince Renathal#Quotes
- ^ Behold World of Warcraft: Shadowlands’ new vampire haven
- ^ Death is Contagious
- ^ Terran Gregory on Twitter (2020-09-17). Retrieved on 2020-09-17. “Credits for Afterlives: Revendreth! A remarkable crew and just an incredible performance by @RayChase as Sire Denathrius. [...]”