|This article is an NPC stub. You can help expand it by editing it.
- For other uses, see Derek (disambiguation).
|Title||Crown Prince of Kul Tiras|
|Former affiliation(s)||Alliance of Lordaeron|
|Former occupation(s)||Captain of the Kul Tiran Third Fleet|
Jaina (younger sister),
Tandred (younger brother)
Derek Proudmoore was the commander of the Third Fleet of Kul Tiras. He was also the eldest son of Grand Admiral Daelin Proudmoore and Katherine, and the elder sibling of Jaina and Tandred. He died on the seas during the Second War, his fleet destroyed by the fire of the red dragons under the Horde's control. Approximately thirty years later, Derek was raised by Sylvanas Windrunner's Val'kyr as a Forsaken.
During the Second War, Derek was in command of a destroyer in the Third Fleet, accompanying his father in battle against the orcish navy. Near Crestfall, they suddenly came under attack by dragon riders accompanying a Horde fleet commandeered by the Black Tooth Grin clan. Though he attempted to warn his father of the danger, Derek was killed by one of the dragons as he stood on top of the crow's nest. His boat was sent to the bottom shortly thereafter.
Kurdran Wildhammer and his gryphon riders joined the battle shortly afterward, killing several dragon riders while their gryphons slaughtered the dragons. The remaining dragon riders fled and were pursued by Kurdran and his brethren, allowing Admiral Proudmoore to focus on destroying the orcish navy, ensuring his son's death wasn't in vain. Daelin never forgot his child's death, and his hatred of the orcs continued to fester like an open wound for the rest of his life. The wreck of Derek's fleet can still be found to this day on the coast of the Wetlands.
Battle for Azeroth
This section concerns content related to Battle for Azeroth.
During the Blood War, Derek Proudmoore's body was found by deep sea diving from the Horde ship The Banshee's Wail. The Horde had not been expecting to find him, they had been looking for Marshal M. Valentine instead. The body was used as bait to lure Derek's mother, Katherine, away from Boralus, as a distraction while Horde agents infiltrated the city to steal the Abyssal Scepter. The body was then brought back to Zuldazar.
Tides of Vengeance
Sylvanas saw Derek as a valuable weapon, a dagger to plunge into the hearts of House Proudmoore when the time was right. After the Battle of Dazar'alor and death of the Zandalari king Rastakhan, Sylvanas raised Derek's corpse to make him a Forsaken. Derek was horrified and confused at what had happened to him, and begged for help and for his family. Sylvanas planned to twist him to become a weapon against Jaina and Katherine.
Baine Bloodhoof (with the help of Thomas Zelling) later freed Derek and secretly took him to meet with Jaina outside the ruins of Theramore, the city Jaina had once ruled. While Jaina was furious that the Horde had risen her brother, she calmed down when she realized his will was still his own. Derek could not return home to Kul Tiras, but Jaina promised to bring him to someone who could help him.
|Location||Level range||Health range|
|Hall of Ritual (Dazar'alor)||120||173,444|
- Main article: The Return of Derek Proudmoore#Notes
- What... what have I become?
- How can I escape... this... nightmare?
- Conversation with Derek Proudmoore
Where... am I?
- <Stay a while and listen.>
- Derek Proudmoore says: Please... help me. I... I don't know what's happened. What's been done to me.
- Derek Proudmoore says: I remember the battle. Orcish dragon riders. Our decks consumed by flame. I felt a blaze of agony, and then... darkness.
- Derek Proudmoore says: I was... dead, wasn't I? For how long? I am not quite alive, and yet... I don't understand this. Please... PLEASE... how is this possible?
- Derek Proudmoore says: Where is my father? My mother? Jaina... Tandred... please... I'm so alone. Don't leave me alone...
- Baine Bloodhoof says: This is wrong. There is no honor in it.
- Baine Bloodhoof says: Her deeds disgrace us all. We must set things right... before the Horde loses everything that made us strong.
Notes and trivia
- The novel Tides of Darkness originally described Derek dying consumed by dragon flames, his body crumbling as it fell, burned to mere ash. In Battle for Azeroth however, his corpse is quite intact, and this despite having spent nearly thirty years underwater.
- The rest of the sailors are all skeletons, except for Valentine who is also intact. After being revived Derek still remembers "a blaze of agony".
The may be the reason Derek's corpse was in an almost pristine state after being thirty years underwater, similar to how corpse of Captain Halyndor is still intact.
Derek's empty grave in Lord Admiral's Rest.
- Patch 8.1.5 (2019-03-12): Model updated.
- Patch 8.1.0 (2018-12-11): Model updated.
- Patch 8.0.1 (2018-07-17): Added.
- ^ Drowned Sailor
- ^ Day of the Dragon, 3 (ebook).
- ^ Arthas: Rise of the Lich King, pg. 69 (ebook)
- ^ a b World of Warcraft: Chronicle Volume 2, pg. 172
- ^ Rosenberg, Aaron. Tides of Darkness, 314. ISBN 978-1-4165-3990-2.
- ^ Rosenberg, Aaron. Tides of Darkness, 316, 317, 318. ISBN 978-1-4165-3990-2.
- ^ Derek Proudmoore Kept in the Hall of Ritual - Derek Proudmoore says: I remember the battle. Orcish dragon riders. Our decks consumed by flame. I felt a blaze of agony, and then... darkness.
- ^ Andrea Toyias on Twitter - "The voice of Derek Proudmoore is not Aiden Turner. Rather, our tragic Derek is voiced by another amazing actor, the incredible Steve West. The emotion he delivered into Derek broke our hearts. He walked in and gave us his soul. We were always left speechless. xx @SteveWestActor"
|As Drowned Sailor||As Derek|