Desperate Prayer is a level 52 Holy priest ability. It is an instant self-only heal that costs no mana to use, healing the caster for 30% of their total health.
- Desperate Prayer is not affected by the global cooldown.
- This spell's main use, both in PvE and PvP, lies as a "panic button", undoing any situation should you find yourself at critical health levels and in dire need of a heal.
- Since the priest can heal themselves without needing to self-target, this can save crucial moments in tight situations in PvE and PvP.
- The fact that it is a free spell may make a difference when mana is tight.
- In PvP, the spell's short cooldown means it can be used frequently, sometimes in every encounter.
- The ability used to be a racial spell available to humans and dwarves only.
Tips and tactics
Desperate Prayer heals for a notable amount, and most importantly for free. Since it is not affected by the GCD, it can also be used simultaneous to other heals to provide significant instant protection. Priests can save it for truly dangerous moments where it can be used at a moment's notice, or simply use it regularly to save mana and globals.
Patches and hotfixes
- Patch 7.1.5 (2017-01-10): Now learned at level 52 for Holy.
- Patch 7.1.0 (2016-10-25): Now heals and increases health by 30% (was 20%).
- Patch 7.0.3 (2016-07-19): Now available only to Holy priests. Now heals for 20% (down from 30%) but also increases the caster's health.
- Patch 5.0.4 (2012-08-28): Now a level 60 talented ability. New icon.
- Hotfix (2011-04-26): "Desperate Prayer is now properly casting its heal on the caster at all times, even after Spirit of Redemption has been triggered."
- Patch 4.0.6 (2011-02-08): Now heals the priest for 30% of their total health, up from a very subpar value.
- Patch 4.0.1 (2010-10-12): Desperate Prayer is now free of cost.
- Patch 3.0.2 (2008-10-14): Desperate Prayer changed into a talent in the holy tree, no longer a racial ability.
- Patch 1.10.0 (2006-03-28): Cooldown reduced.
- Patch 1.4.0 (2005-05-05): Desperate Prayer is now affected by the talents improving Holy spells.
- Patch 1.1.0 (2004-11-07): Added.